Is biology a hard science?

Is biology a hard science?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_science
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You could say it's applied chemistry and physics and you do need a certain basic understanding of those disciplines, especially chemistry.

But is it a "hard" science? I don't know. Biology at the cellular level you might consider hard, since it's reproducible and the mechanisms are better understood.

I guess it depends on your field. Cell biologist, yeah sure, why not. Ecologist, probably no.

"Science"

Depends on the field.

Does it matter what Veeky Forums thinks of it?
It's filled with engineers who can't prove the simplest thing anyway.
Engineering is the shithole of academia, even historians are better than engineers.

I think it's the easiest. I like biology, it's science of daily life in my opinion. I want to know how everything works and shit. I study Biotechnology, 'cuz there isn't a study with only biology (in my country on my level). I think it isn't the hardest science, I think physics or mathematics are harder.

Pretty much this. Biology only gets hard when you start going into shit like microbes and cellular mechanisms. Evolution has its difficulties as well. Apart from that its pretty easy.

Yes, especially when it comes to big data. - you need a very good foundation in maths to deal with it.
Same goes for different DNA rearrangements.

>bait thread

Yeah, except for maybe some ecology/evolution fields, which are intermediate I would say in rigor. The rest is as hard as the rest of the natural sciences.

> big data
> implying biologists are monkeys using programs written by others to test their "hypotheses"

Who said anything about that?
Big data is hot research material right now, you have mathematicians collaborating with biologists over this which isn't a small feat. The programs we have right now isn't enough to give us complete control over big data.

technically yes

but only biofags and everyone beneath them will say its a hard science

id argue that its only a hard science because of genetics which is biology.

define hard science

Lmao

I don't know, I'm some kind of biochem and the statistics and genetic analysis the ecologists I know do is pretty fucking hard. Plus all the databases they have to create and code and stuff they write to make use of the database I think you guys think that ecologists just watch animals all day. And even then, behaviors are pretty goddamn hard to turn into numbers.

is microbiology a hard science?

>"Engineering is the shithole of academia."

You'd know a lot about shitholes having had to rim your professors all the way to post-doc for letters of recommendation you pure math queer

Yeah man, it's difficult af.

yes, any other answer is a meme. it's a natural science so it's hard.

lmao "hard science" doesn't mean difficult

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_science

Biology contains a thousand sub-disciplines.

Molecular genetics is a much different ballgame than taxonomy.

MCDB - yes

EEMB - not so much

MIMG - absolutely