What's the best mixer for Irish whisky?

What's the best mixer for Irish whisky?

Just got this on sale

A glass.

Cranberry juice

I just had it with water and a little bit of lemon juice

Feel like it would be best with apple cider though now that I tasted it

It would be best with ice.

Can't believe you'd waste a 12 yr in something, unless it was a gift. Buy Dewars or even fucking Cluny next time if you wanna mix.

And if you do, buy some Amaretto too. Fill up a whiskey glass with ice, do half scotch half Amaretto. Fucking delicious, and will get you fucked up.

I just used Irish Whiskey in an old fashioned

I was happy with it

Ginger ale

/thread

>/thread

>grand thread reopening post
milk!

You don't mix nice scotch you fuck, you mix with cheap blended whisky

Keep it in a cupboard and buy some red label or famous grouse to mix with your coke or whatever jesus

Triggered?

take simple syrup, add bitters and some lemon.

ice, maybe some club soda

I love a good scotch served straight but don't act like your some special elitist. There's nothing wrong with mixing especially if your doing a night of drinking. It just depends on what your drinking though. If your mixing it with some cheap shit like coke then your a fucking degenerate.

Most definitely ginger ale

People who are afraid to mix single malt scotch into cocktails should take a good look at their finances and ask themselves if they can really afford to be wasting money on alcohol

Food and drink should not be a source of stress

I think a lot of young neckbeards buy scotch as an aspirational statement and obsessively follow some "rules" they read on the art of manliness or cracked or some other shitty website

They read somewhere that you can't taste the difference in a mixed drink and since a single pour of that bottle is like a week's worth of discretionary budget, obviously they're not going to take that risk and find out. But it won't stop them from whining like babies when they find someone else doing it on the internet.
>if it was me I'd totally do it PROPER muh PROPER dram dram dram ralfy ralfy muh lafroog muh E150a muh cask strength

God I want all scotchfags to die

I mean, if you're spending 50 bucks on a bottle it'd be a shame to use that for mixing drinks. You won't taste the difference to the cheap shit, so you might as well buy the cheap stuff for cocktails.

It's nothing to be stressed about, and I know that many scotch people take that way too seriously, but they've got a bit of a point if you ignore the ludicrously exaggerated reactions.

The bin

Fuck all potato whisky

>you won't taste the difference
your mouth is broken

ginger ale and ice

or coke.

not much else you can do with whiskey

i'm going to keep making scotch and sodas with glenmorangie 18 and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me

It was on sale for $30, i tasted a sample first and liked it. This was my first non-bourbon whiskey purchase

>What's the best mixer for Irish whisky?
I like really simple if you have an aged whiskey. Don't dilute it too much so you can still feel the smoothness.

Whiskey Sour
Fresh lemon juice, twist of peel too
egg white
simple syrup or fine sugar
irish whiskey
Shake egg white over ice until frothy, add other ingreidents, shake again, strain out of shaker and serve over fresh ice that has been chilling your glass. Splash of maraschino juice with a few cherries to garnish. Sometimes I mix it up and add another citrus like calamondins from my tree, little key lime, even orange or grand marnier. Cherry liqueur or amaretto can add interesting flavors if the whiskey has flavors you don't love (like smoke or too much peat).

Squeamish about raw egg? Use powdered or pasteurized white.

>I mean, if you're spending 50 bucks on a bottle it'd be a shame to use that for mixing drinks. You won't taste the difference to the cheap shit, so you might as well buy the cheap stuff for cocktails.
I like barbancourt dark rum in my mojito. Always, I use 25 year rum in my eggnog bowl for the holidays too. Sometimes I just have too many finer bottles sitting around, gifts, fantastic things from my travels, duty free bargains, good sale at Total Wine, etc. It's not like my intention is to be wasteful where it wouldn't count. But, the problem is that I think it usually does count. My palate can tell. I don't make mixed drinks to hide alcohol like a child. I don't want flavorless booze hidden by sugary fake mixers. I want to taste the aging, the smoothness, the craft of it all. I want to think about my Jameson tour when I'm sipping my irish coffee. I want to remember my summer wherever it happened to be when I'm sipping some cocktail where I first tried the thing.
Don't apply some kind of projection to others that they can't can't when finer things are used. There's a reason there is top shelf vs well drinks in most bars, and it's not just to rip off the pretentious. To some palates, it really matters to do things right with a mixed drink, or else, just have a beer instead.

A drop of water.

For Jamesons and like. Ginger ale.
For Red Breast or better a teaspoon of water.

>mixer

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Artesian water?

OP here, I just had it with a little water and a single ice cube. Much better than with lemon as I had last night.

The only whiskey I've drank prior to this was mid tier bourbon (bulleit and knob creek), usually with ginger ale or lemon/lime juice and sugar

seems like Irish doesn't go as well with lemon

Irish is more grainy then bourbon I find so it goes better treated as a digestible cocktail. If you want lemon with irish whisky you need to have it hot but Im assuming you want cold so bourbon or rye is probably a better fixer.

Try it straight or with a little water. A 12 yo whisky should be fairly smooth, and Irish whisky in general is on the smooth side. Straight bourbon whiskey is aged a minimum of 4 years unless otherwise specified.

Your virgin tears

>calling people virgins on Veeky Forums
Damn you must've been such a cool kid in High School?

I wouldn't mix that one, friend. That's a damn fine sipping whiskey.

Guinness