What are Public Ivies? Are they a meme?

I know in America the Ivy League schools are the best of the best, (not including Stanford or MIT), but I recently heard of "Public Ivies"

What are they? Are they almost as good as the regular ivies? Easier to get into? Should I feel accomplished if I get into one?

Other urls found in this thread:

grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings/page 2
colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy#Worthy_runners-up)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You shouldn't feel accomplished for getting into a university.

Feel accomplished when you have a fucking degree you underage millenial scumfuck.

Much, much easier to get into for undergrad.

Can be just as hard or harder to get into for grad school, depending on the school and the field.

They're good schools. You will get a good education.

Stop caring about prestige, because prestige basically goes "oh wow", "that's a good school", and "never heard of it" with the vast majority of people.

University of Virginia, UNC Chapel Hill, University of Michigan, and UC Berkeley are the only good schools that aren't an Ivy or Stanford/MIT/Caltech

I disagree with the first two.

why? UVA and UNC are highly ranked by almost everyone

>Stop caring about prestige, because prestige basically goes "oh wow", "that's a good school", and "never heard of it" with the vast majority of people

>babby assmad because he had to go to generic state school # 2633

They're in the South.

so is Duke, and that place is also on the caliber of Ivies. UVA is the highest rated public school in the country. And UNC is definitely top 5.

If a school is in the south, it's shit. End of.

You don't think Duke and UChicago are ivy-level?

They were just selected because they have a similar essence to the Ivy league schools. These kind of things aren't entirely related to academics, but the public Ivy universities are considered to be very good schools regardless of their atmosphere and history, which won them the title in the first place.

Nobody actually cares though. Any sort of pride you get from attending a school is false unless you personally have contributed to academia and become an honored member of the university.

Any field where prestige matters is probably a shit field of work.

Prove me wrong. Name one field.

Employers are gonna prefer applicants with similar stats from more prestigious schools no matter the field.

Meme schools

I disagree.
There's definitely employers that are use to grabbing candidates from the same school.
My school is far from prestigious and we get offers from Catepillar and Exxon all the time.
And if its a small place, boss man might rather have someone from his alma mater than some over-qualified, gonna-leave-in-six-months candidate

undergrad ain't shit

school only matters if you're doing post-bac education

In NC,

Duke = elite private. Durham is an up-and-coming town that has traditionally been the ghetto. Being heavily gentrified and is now a place for hipsters, vegans, musicians, startups, artist etc.

UNC = elite public, provides same educational quality as Duke but is much less expensive. Quintessential college town.

NCSU = Engineering school is tied with Duke's, has the best library in the state. The most technologically advanced school out of Duke/UNC. Raleigh is the second largest city in NC.

App State = Football school in the mountains. Only known for Armanti Edwards and beating Michigan in football

ECU = School for partiers, retards, nursing. Some of the dumbest kids in the state go there.

Elon = Rich kids that didn't go to UNC

UNCW - Average. Nothing to say about it.

UNCC - Average, their engineering program below NCSU's. Charlotte is the largest city in NC and they have the epicenter which is p. cool.

Davidson - Small uppity rich school

Wake Forset - Good medical School. I see their law program below UNC's/Duke's. Overall I'd rank them below Duke/UNC/NCSU.

Any other school I missed is probably not worth mentioning.

Hey fuck you dude.

In Virginia,

UVA = the best school, high prestige and rankings. Elite students go here. Charlottesville is an amazing college town, with a heavy social scene

William and Mary = has less prestige than UVA, but the same level of quality in terms of education. Williamsburg is a great, quiet town. Rigor and workload here is high.

Virginia Tech = up and coming, but basically no real prestige. Has a good few programs but overall it's mostly kids that got rejected from the two VA powerhouses listed above

JMU = only good for partying, academics here are nothing to write home about. Typical in-state school, you get what you put in

VCU = meh school, has a few decent programs (particularly medical) but overall pretty bad. It's in Richmond as well, so you have to deal with ghetto city people.

Radford = absolute shit school, only known because everyone there just does drugs and parties 24/7 because they know that their school is a joke

Washington and Lee = surprisingly good school, it's extremely small and unheard of though so nobody really gives a shit.

If I didn't mention your school here, it's complete trash and not worth mentioning. You're better off going to community college for 2 years and transferring somewhere better.

Cool bro. I'd like to see more of these.

What school do you attend? Didn't mean to offend anyone.

What do you think of GMU? I live in DC and my general impression has been "weird university over the river, sciencey, not as good as GT or GWU"

>highest rated public school
source.

I actually completely forgot about GMU, but it's probably between JMU and Radford tier. Most of the people that go there do it because they couldn't get in anywhere good or because they want to commute to a college and not stay on-campus.

One of the less than reputable schools on your list. I can't be mad though, since you were spot on.

Some real retards go there.

ECU detected

I do not know what you are talking about.

VT here. Engineering program is pretty high up there, but fuck everyone else here.

Well, there are good qualities to every school on that list. Just focus on doing well.

Do the state of Michigan

Some of them are probably better than the meme Ivies like Dartmouth or Brown.

Not that guy but isn't it just:

University of Michigan: Amazing school.
Michigan State University: Great school, equivalent to standard flagship state school in other states.
Michigan Tech: Good.

State schools with a direction (north, etc) in their name: Meh.

are all UC schools public ivies?

Doesn't matter if you are from a shitty school or a great university. If you are ambitious, hardworking and intelligent - that won't change wherever you go.

A """""slight""""" advantage and only at your first job. Who gives a fuck. My school's CS is ranked around 100 and we have guys in the big 4, and Sillycon Valley.

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

The fields you're thinking about are business related, and everyone knows those guys don't contribute shit to society.

>going into industry

Get a load of this brainlet

UCB and UCLA perhaps, but the rest no

anyway,
>anybody thinking that where you do your undergrad really matters
it's like you're in some shitty field that doesn't require grad school and research experience

Technically all of them except Merced (since it's new and nobody even works there) are considered Public Ivy.

UCLA is p good

>UChicago
>meme
I get Duke because it isn't that highly rated on most rankings but UChicago tops most Ivies for several subjects (most notably physics), and it's only behind HYP, MIT, Stanford, and Caltech for overall rankings.

Duke is ranked higher than the lower Ivies. Ranked 8th in the country.

This.

This. No Nobel Prize winning Scientist, No former Federal Judge/Lawyer on the Supreme Court, etc. even teach undergrad. Whether you go to podunk University in Idaho or Harvard University for Math, you'll still learn Calculus, Dif Eq, Real analysis, etc. It only matters in graduate school when you actually do research with professors who are sought after due to their accomplishments. Id you go to Harvard for a PhD in Biology, you'll have a WAYYYY bigger pool of money to use to do research as compared to North Dakota state.

Veeky Forums always puts far too much emphasis on school prestiage

you forgot VMI, which i'd rank between W&M and VT
Radford is my hometown, your description of the school is pretty damn accurate
made highschool fun as fuck though

depends
I know some employers actively discriminate against people from more prestigious schools because that persons resume is often over-inflated and they're occasionally totally insufferable

Okay, so you're saying it doesn't matter how well you do in high school, because every college is the same?

I went to Baruch. Am I shit tier?

Well from my experience at UVA it's basically a bunch of entitled in-state kids who like to think that they're smart just because they got in even though it's a public school and they have to accept a certain number of Virginia residents. Seriously you won't believe how many northern and middle Virginia people here like to think getting into UVA is some huge accomplishment that qualifies them in anything beside doing well in high school.

i'd hardly call UVA southern. Virginia is traditionally on the border and half the kids are from the suburbs of DC.

>App State = Football school in the mountains. Only known for Armanti Edwards and beating Michigan in football
also for being a bunch of fucking hippies

VTer here. UVA is clearly the better school... but I will say this. It sucks there. A lot of my friends from HS that went flat out hate it there. Nothing but frat douches. At least here at VT the greek scene is relegated to a smallish group of tards; it's actually impossible to get into a single UVA party unless you're greek.

Also, VT has far more recruiters for my program (CS). We get people that don't even go here trying to crash our career fairs they're so good, same with engineering.

I honestly had no idea UVA was actually supposed to be a good school because all I ever heard about it was that it was an enormous Greek/party school.

You say that as someone going to UNC? UNC and UVA are both considered top tier Public schools, but UVA is always ranked a little higher.

so where did you go to university?

>You say that as someone going to UNC? UNC and UVA are both considered top tier Public schools, but UVA is always ranked a little higher.

Not , but it depends on what you are comparing UVA and UNC to.

UNC is ranked higher in "best medical research" at 22, UVA 28.

UNC #25 in CS (tied with Duke), UVA #29
UNC #28 in Math, UVA #52
UNC #12, Duke #10, NCSU #15 in Statistics, UVA #63

UNC is higher ranked in Biological sciences than UVA too and has top global rep in microbiology.

UVA has a better business and law program.

I think rankings don't matter as much as other people think. This is based on USN.

>it's actually impossible to get into a single UVA party unless you're greek
greek life is an embarassingly large part of the social scene but it's not stopping you from going to bars or partying with your actual friends. your friends probably like to complain about it but otherwise do fine without it, or they're losers who indefinitely relegate themselves to the outside of a social group that they don't fit in.

who gives a shit anyway, studying goes down the toilet as soon as you worry about that kind of shit too much.

>UVA has a better business and law program.
this sounds correct. the administration seems to really talk up alumni who get leading positions in business or anything else with prestige and power. anyone not doing STEM probably knows nothing about what goes on in STEM depts at UVA.

I am Yeah, looks like UVA has a well received law/business program. UNC's is of similar prestige. I see VA and NC as sister states.

UVA = UNC
VA Tech = NCSU

Duke is essentially an ivy league in the playing field as Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, there isn't a comparable school in VA in that regard.

But the truth us (as stated above) you can get a similar education at UNC as you can Duke (and similar in state prestige) but with a huge reduction in price.

Otherwise seems like VA/NC are mirror images of itself.

I go to Columbia. The "Ivy League" is stupid bullshit made up for fancy people to feel mysterious and interesting and Oxford educated.

My peers and teachers are amongst the brightest in the world. The only thing very impressive is the mass of individuals of such intelligence in one place, not the individuals themselves. They're normal people and say stupid stuff when they're not around other Ivy Leaguers making them feel self conscious.

>The "Ivy League" is stupid bullshit made up for fancy people to feel mysterious and interesting and Oxford educated.
It's very real, but it's a sports conference. This is not a complicated concept.

>chapel hill isn't for basic bitches and bio/med students
>App isn't "dude weed lmao" the school
>State's engineering is the same quality as Duke's
I'll give you a 7/10

>prestige matters

So little unless you are going to grad school

A friend of mine got an engineering position at Boeing just recently with 0 internships and a high gpa from a state school which is most certainly nowhere near ivy status. Prestige is a meme. It's just name dropping that can help you get yourself in the door easier. Other than that, no real advantage.

You doing business? Otherwise, might as well go somewhere else.

The concept of a public ivy league school is a fairy tale conceived by pretentious UNC students to make them feel better about the fact that their school is way shittier than they'd ever feel comfortable admitting.

Yeah, but I'd chalk it up more to plain ignorance than anything else.

>who gives a shit anyway, studying goes down the toilet as soon as you worry about that kind of shit too much.

Believe it or not, all the smartest kids I've ever met were in frats. I call it "Feynman type" smart. UVA is littered with those kids.

>State's engineering is the same quality as Duke's

Oh yeah, you're right. Duke-NCSU's engineering program aren't ranked the same. NCSU's is ranked higher: grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings/page 2

Good catch.

>Duke is essentially an ivy league in the playing field as Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, there isn't a comparable school in VA in that regard.
they're also assholes just like the true Ivys

>u mad

>u jelly

UVA is an odd case. It's consistently ranked with the UCs, UT, and UM as the best public universities in the country, but it isn't part of a system.

Why does have a school have to have fund-siphoning shit sister schools that no one cares about to be good?

Dunno. I guess having lesser schools to park people makes it easier to stay selective while still prioritizing in-state residents?
Virginia is weird when it comes to schools; we've got William & Mary, with some of the best undergrad education and business programs, which would probably be a private school except for the fact that it's the 2nd oldest university in the country and is situated in a state-funded archaeological park.

Liberal Arts College MasterRace

>I guess having lesser schools to park people makes it easier to stay selective while still prioritizing in-state residents?
There would be more retards applying to your school without lesser schools in the system, and so it would be much easier to be selective with in state students with only the one school. After all, the best students are applying either way.

If you don't go to an Ivy or a Public Ivy, you are a meme and won't accomplish anything

>muh prestige isn't real
It is, fucker. And a reason they have a prestige in the first place is because their educational standards, amounts of resources, and overall quality are much higher.

Note, I'm also including schools like UChicago, a bunch of California schools, and other top tier schools, in addition to the Duke, UNC, UVA, Michigan, etc.

you're "never heard of you" tier

As a UNC student I can say Hunt library is rad as fuck. But every time I have been it seems like there aren't that many places to actually study... It seems more aesthetic than functional. I took a class at State one summer and being in Hunt was honestly kind of distracting. I would usually study at the other library on the main campus.

>Virginia, UNC Chapel Hill

wat?

not him.

way too specific.

kys.

what is this meme that Michigan is better than UVA and UNC? UNC i could understand but overall UVA is ranked wayyyyy higher than michigan. just because michigan has better engineering doesn't mean it's suddenly a public Ivy and UVA isn't.

Is my school Veeky Forums approved?

>Radford is my hometown
Jerry's backyard.

UVA isn't way better than UNC. It's inferior in several regards see UVA is embarrassing inferior in those aspects

he only listed a few subjects you walking meme. literally just google some overall rankings and UVA will be ranked higher than UNC.

colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

UVA is number 3 best public school in the country

I don't know about 'public ivy', but Georgia Tech's gotta be up there, right?

wait are state students really in here trying to start shit about UNC campus aesthetics

ur school is ugly as shit

>jerry's backyard
Lol wat?

Is Ohio State University considered public ivy?

Lol no. that's an average state school, don't flatter yourself

This. Except the normies yelling their heads off at midnight signaling the end of each quarter gets old pretty fast.

Not if you have a brick fetish.

And it wasn't about campus aesthetics; it was about the libraries.

UVA is ranked 3rd, UNC is ranked what 5th? Do you know the difference between a 3rd and 5th ranking spot ranking is? It makes no significant difference.

UNC seems higher ranked in STEM than UVA and UVA seems higher ranked in areas of law and business.

Ranking doesn't really matter that much, so not sure why you put so much personal investment in it. You going to UVA and its ranking makes no difference int he world.

What school you go to doesn't matter.

Learn category theory

I agree UNC is a good school. My original point was there is no reason UVA and UNC shouldn't be considered public Ivies but Michigan is, considering both UVA and UNC are higher ranked

Worse education than every alleged public ivy and it's filled with virgin asian nerds. No.

you might be Veeky Forums approved, but anecdotally, everyone I know who went there is a nu-male.

Ah okay, no disagreement there.

According to this,

The original Public Ivies as they were listed by Moll in 1985:

College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia)
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
University of California (campuses as of 1985)[6]
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Texas at Austin
University of Vermont (Burlington)
University of Virginia (Charlottesville)

Alright Veeky Forums, lay it down flat for me.

Is this school a meme?

Underrated post.

Good to know. I had definitely heard the term "Public Ivy" but didn't recall the list was that small. IMO, I think that some of the "Worthy runners-up" (from the Wiki page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy#Worthy_runners-up) belong in that list: Washington, UW-Madison, UIUC, Georgia Tech.

Since the Ivy League has eight, I'll put eight Public Ivies out there:

Berkeley
UCLA
Michigan
UW-Madison
UT-Austin
UVA
UNC-Chapel Hill
Washington

I agree with this list.

>Tfw in my 7th Semester in Germany right now
>still don't know if my University is seen as good or bad