Coffee Making Equipment

Sup cu/ck/s,

I want to invest in either a V60 or a chemex.

What brands are good? Or is it just one company that makes each?

Also, do you need that kettle thing, or will a normal kettle do the job?

Coffee makers general I guess. Bialetti is life.

Other urls found in this thread:

worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/
youtu.be/IUSzYbYQko4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My V60 just came in the mail. I didn't get the special kettle nor a scale because im kinda poor at the moment.

I tried brewing the coffee using a regular electric kettle by just pouring it out very slowly and it kinda works. My V60 did not come out as good as they make it at specialty shops, but it's also because I didn't use freshly ground beans (no $$$ for a burr grinder) and didn't really measure the amount of water I used. I might have to make some more investments/improve my technique

Any advice on how to make a better pour over at home is welcome.

I wouldn't consider it worth it to get a pour-over system without a gooseneck kettle. It's the little things that count in pour-overs.

Just graduate from high school already and get a fucking siphon.

What the fuck is a siphon

A meme

I've been using a Hario v60 decanter for a little over a year now and it's pretty legit. Much cleaner coffee than french press and it's great for straining cold brew as well.

As far as I can tell, Chemex is just an overpriced pour-over.

Do you want a:
Shitty ruined coffee? French press
Tasteful fashion piece? Chemex
Worst of both worlds? V60
Best coffee possible? Aeropress

>aeropress best coffee
>not a doublé-spout Moka

kys immediately

>moka pot
Yeah I thought about putting that in the list but it kind of goes without saying that it's for poorfags who wish they had an espresso machine, I mean why even talk about it? Might as well argue about instant coffee

>French press is shitty
kys yourself

Literally why would you want an espresso machine instead of a moka

May as well go the whole way and get a nespresso machine tbqhwu

>May as well go the whole way and get a nespresso machine tbqhwu
rustled gently

Literally just pressed a fresh cup.

>French press
why the French press hate?

>using a repurposed penis pump coffee brewer
Out of all the coffee methods I've tried, v60 is my favorite, though I've heard Kalitta waves are good too. make sure you get a burr grinder that can grind coarse enough. If you're making more than one cup at a time, don't fall for the hand crank grinder, annoyed the fuck out of me having to grind for ten minutes every morning.

Get a v60, scale, gooseneck kettle, fresh beans to grind at time of brewing, and a ~$100 burr grinder.

Also, coffee brewed in a v60 over ice blows cold brew the fuck out.

>penis pump
Yeah it looks ridiculous. Like I said if looks are that big a deal, get a chemex.

No one said looks are a big deal, I was just replying to (you)r shit post.

>didn't use freshly ground beans
bitch why even bother

I like a v60 because I can make a cup so strong I'm in danger of shitting myself and then a pot of good coffee for human consumption. Aeropress taste better but I want to make more than a cup at a time and don't appreciate the failure mode of spray near boiling water and coffee grounds everywhere.

>the failure mode of spray near boiling water and coffee grounds everywhere

This happened at work and sprayed all over a coworkers desk. His reply was just "Shouldn't you probably do that in the kitchen?"

>aeropress tastes better

Am I fucking up my aeropresses or something?

It gets a decent flavour but it just always seems kind of...flat or something.

Stovetop espresso and V60 both have much stronger flavours for me, kind of feel like I'm fucking up the aeropress

you try upsidedown style or a finer grind?

>coffee brewed in a v60 over ice blows cold brew the fuck out.

the fuck is the point of brewing coffee hot if you're just going to put it over ice then?

>Also, coffee brewed in a v60 over ice blows cold brew the fuck out.
your beans are stale and/or garbage

>Am I fucking up my aeropresses or something?

you fucked up as soon as wrapped your lips around the aeropress dick.

Without more details it's hard to really answer that. When I first got mine I just poured the water and pressed, the results were not good. Read the manual or try one of these methods:

worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

not them, but I'd sooner give up coffee than visit worldaeropresschampionship.com. that's some serious end stage capitalism shit right there

>end stage capitalism
without capitalism you wouldn't be able to have your precious limes

It's a much different flavor than cold brew, you compensate for the ice melting during brewing, hario makes a brewer for it but I just use a v60
at most a week off roast from local roaster + many others. I've tried it brewed by myself in a filtron and from multiple coffee shops. I just don't like cold brew.

Anybody know where to buy buffalo milk in London?

Who the fuck uses an aeropress at their desk

>I can't have limes without a massive shell corporation first buying the land the trees are planted on and then selling the limes to a retailer who then sells them to me for a substantial markup

>He has a lime tree
Plebian, please leave. Quince in a greenhouse and citron on they yards keep scurvy away better than that.

If I could poison any who types 'cuck' I would.

first thing to invest in should always be a decent grinder. a kettle will help too but if you can get a consistent pour with the one you have thats totally fine.

siphons are one of the most impractical coffee brewers ever

I have a keurig, I like it. I recommend it to everyone.

cold brew coffee is stale no matter what. the coffee oxidizes during the whole 12-24 hour period that everyone likes to brew for.

>A stupid lonely fuck that never has people over, so only one-cup of coffee at a time is ever brewed?
Aeropress

>Just works, is capable of brewing multiple cups, can make cold brew and tea, and delivers a solid cup everytime?
French press

>Can make great coffee but is a crapshoot?
V60

>Hipster?
Chemex

>An Italian or just likes burnt fucking coffee?
Moka pot

>A subhuman who should be burned for energy to benefit the new society of capable human beings?
Keurig

>You're a pencil pusher who just needs a caffeine delivery system?
Mr. Coffee

>You're a pencil pusher who just needs a caffeine delivery system, but has a little money?
Bonavita, OXO, or Technivorm drip brewer

>An old fuck?
Percolator

i got a french press and pack it away on work trips. although my parents have pic related which does a slightly better brew desu

Please for the love of god kys

This is LITERALLY the best list I've ever read on any coffee thread on this board, no sarcasm. Mods sticky please

You know there's a lot of best ways to make coffee but the important part is really that it's something you can do when you're dead tired in the morning before work.

anyone have any conclusive tests of bloomed grounds vs just put them in the bottom and pour water over for french press? the first takes longer so I'm wondering if it's worth it, I've always bloomed them with half the water just because it's said to be the proper way

i bet if I had milk to drown the coffee in my moka pot wouldn't suck as much dick

Why don't you test it yourself? Prepare two pots with everything the same except for that.

Might as well use drip

>cu/ck/s
lel

parents were in the jew land and bought me one of these badboys.
It's weird considering you bring the coffee up to a boil, but the coffee itself is really smoothe and a tad of sugar gives it that 'turkish hole in the wall' coffee taste.
really recommend - but beware that the grind has to be extremely fine (like, instant cocoa fine) for it to be tasty.

who here /ibrik/?

>>An Italian or just likes burnt fucking coffee?
>Moka pot
I'd agree with you - but you can minimize this effect significantly by making sure the step in the process of boiling the water goes as quickly as possible.
In order to do that you need
>kettle
>stove
start boiling water, add coffee to little filter and pour in boiling water in water compartment
>work fast
close (use a tea towel to prevent burning your fingers)
get a HIGH heat going on your stove that is narrow enough to under burn UNDER your moke pot/percolator
get the water up to a boil (can be sub 30 s)
once percolating starts happening, take off fire for 10 s, then run the lower compartment under the tap for 20 s
>pour
doesn't need sugar - no burnt flavour, no bitterness.
this is the best moka method I have found.

>That much flame
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lower the fucking flame to the minimum.
youtu.be/IUSzYbYQko4

Translation:
Low heat
Add lukewarm water and sugar and stir
Add coffee and DONT STIR
When coffee starts to simmer, STIR
When coffee rises a bit, remove from heat and bang twice on tabletop, then return to heat.
On second rise, remove from heat, bang twice and serve in a manly way.

siphon makes good coffee, but the cleanup takes more time and it takes up alot of counter space especially when its drying.

if you dont know by now, you probably never will

yeah a contest of hobbyists for a coffee maker made by a frisbee company is end stage capitalism..

>French Press
>Tea

You shouldn't say such things.

What would you experts say is the easiest way to get good coffee in the morning?

I prefer espresso or strong black.

I love coffee but have been too lazy to bother making it at home and I know next to nothing about the different brewing methods so could use some advice and guidance.

Thanks

>I love coffee but have been too lazy to bother making it at home
tbqh if you're too lazy to boil water, grind some beans, and do 2 minutes of fiddling, I don't see what you expect to hear as far as advice goes

maybe just get a nespresso pod system? it's shit coffee, but it seems to appeal somehow to self-declared "lazy" people even though it's not appreciably simpler than a pourover or aeropress. not sure why.

Thanks for your fantastic input.

you couldn't sound more like a shill if you tried

The first and most important piece of coffee making equipment you need to get the best out of a pour over method is a quality burr grinder so that you can freshly grind your beans for each use.

I would also strongly recommend a gooseneck kettle and a thermometer to ensure you start with water at the correct temperature and can control your pour effectively.

As for V60 vs Chemex, the real question is how much coffee do you need the ability to make at once? Chemex has the advantage of offering much larger carafes that can be used to brew a lot more coffee at once than a V60.

They are also generally regarded as being more beginner friendly than a V60 is.

I use a Barzata Virtuoso grinder and an electric gooseneck kettle along with my 10-cup Chemex, and the results are pretty spectacular.

>get a HIGH heat going on your stove

This is the crucial bit.

So easy to fuck this up by not having a hot enough stove.

I usually find you get the best cup when it's hot enough that you the pot makes a noise as soon as it hits the stove. If you're waiting for the noise to start, you fucked up

Just use instant.

huh, thanks! saved.

>that you the pot makes a noise as soon as it hits the stove
huh, I've always noticed this when brewing one, but never thought it would be a crucial part/sign to it being hot enough.
it all boils down to the fact that you want the coffee to be in contact with the water as quickly as possible, before having a chance to warm up beforhand.
any idea why the pot hisses/growls when it stands over the high flame?
fwiw I think it's the tiniest portions of water in the bottom that start to boil on the surface of the metal but immediately cool down

Or you could just get this bad boy and enjoy the best Moka without the burnt taste.

Perfect coffee every time and it lights the room up blue when it's time to get up

We can't throw the kcups in the trash any more, they have to be disassembled and recycled which takes so long I have to go throw them over into the neighbours yard, but otherwise it's an ideal piece of coffee making equipment

>We can't throw the kcups in the trash any more, they have to be disassembled and recycled which takes so long I have to go throw them over into the neighbours yard,
ROFLMAO.

>sending superheated water through coffee

Just use shitty burnt beans senpai. It'll taste the same either way.

Or buy a Breville coffee mill and a filter drip.

if you're too lazy to even make coffee yourself, why are you on a cooking forum?

Elitists just measure things by their pricetag. Its about having the most complicated toy.

I want to make coffee like in my japanese animes

yeah that must be why "elitists" prefer aeropress over your mistaken purchase of a short lived 1990s fad. because an aeropress costs over $9000

>HE RECOMMENDED ONE PRODUCT AND NOT ANOTHER

>SHIIIIIIIIIILL

eat a dick you fucking autist.

God damn no one is saying that you are a shill
If you can't fathom how what you typed could be something devised by a marketing agency then I think you'll find you're the autist

chemex comes close
but that almost (so it is not) looks like chem lab equipment

I just realised you're looking at a fancy all-glass percolator (really bad idea - pressure builds up in the bottom compartment (which is usually released with a pressure valve) which could make the glass explode. at 1.5 bar it won't be very likely but if you have too much water/too high heat...

isn't it one of these?

Yeah, I'm kind of amazed that anyone who knows what a chemex is doesn't know what a yama is

>We can't throw the kcups in the trash any more, they have to be disassembled and recycled
Do people rummage through your garbage to see if you're recycling and disassembling little shitty plastic cups? Fuck if it gets that crazy I'd just get a doritos bag and staple them closed in it.

Does anyone else's chew roasted bean? Feels good man

Can anyone rec me a small french press that fits in a mini fridge? Cheaper the better

came into this thread to ask this question

friend of mine got a chemex, never seen a yama before. looks cool.

May as well shove the beans up my ass senpai

>superheated

...you mean boiling?

Bialetti is god-tier

Accept no alternative

>Bialetti Brikka is god tier
ftfy

Just looked it up

How is it different to an normal moka?

More pressure coupled with it literally breaking out in a second lead to better extraction of the beans. You get a more diverse shot and its much more adjustable as a regular Moka Pot. I recommend a fine scale and taking notes to increase the quality of your shots.

that patrician tire device my friend, i miss my copper ibrik that i left in russia

>no one is saying you are a shill
>literally replied directly to a comment that used the term shill

is education optional where you come from?

They added a weight in it to create slightly more pressure for the sole purpose of creating crema.

That's it.

>>Just works, is capable of brewing multiple cups, can make cold brew and tea, and delivers a solid cup everytime?
I tried making coffee with a French Press twice and fucked up both times.

I've been using a Chemex for the past few months and it's been good for me. If you're a complete fuck-up like me, I'd suggest it.

>when you're dead tired in the morning

do you even cold shower? do you even shower, you nasty fuck?

>like a shill
>like

if someone says you look like a giraffe they're not actually saying said person is a giraffe
stop posting

A hand grinder is like $20dollars

Step aside plebs