How do math departments decide who is qualified to teach advanced top level math courses like Complex Analysis...

How do math departments decide who is qualified to teach advanced top level math courses like Complex Analysis, Topology, Number Theory, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

upng.ac.pg/site/index.php/programs-snps
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It just gets passed around that subject's qual committee members here.

If you make it to the point where you're hired as a professor of math at a uni ID assume you'd be able to teach pretty much anything.

Every faculty member and graduate student is qualified to teach those courses. Ideally the instructor in topology is a 1. a professor and 2. topologist so he or she can answer more advanced questions from curious students.

While we're on the subject how do third world nations deal with this? I can't imagine there are very main people in say haiti or papau new guineau who understand complex analysis at a level where they'd be able to meaningfully teach it.

Sorry but those are not top level maths courses - pretty much any professor can teach these.
To give you a starting point of how these build up, in my university if you're a first year postgrad, then you're eligible to supervise first years.

I was wondering because here it's always the same ones teaching lower level courses like college alg- calc II, whereas others departments professors seem to rotate.

Pass topology around the topologist, number theory around the number theorists, etc. Sometimes someone does a particularly great job with a certain course and teaches it often.

They rotate because often professors don't like teaching these low level courses to undergrad shits.
If they teach really really well like said, then they may want to keep teaching and improve upon their own course. Sometimes they just update the lecture notes and it rotates with the lecture notes being improved.

I was saying the math dept rotates less that other subjects.

It applies to the maths department too.
However, for first year modules they're usually very picky about the lecturer.

>I was wondering because here it's always the same ones teaching lower level courses like college alg- calc II
Some places permanently stick their lower-end professors, or professors that are just close to retirement, with intro classes. It depends on how big a pool of adjuncts, lecturers, and grad students the department has.

The richest and brightest go to Western Universities. Every country, however poor or backwards, has a small cadre of the children of the rich/smart/elites, who are themselves smart and amenable to western education, which they then receive.

Even now, as an option of last resort, there are third-string native universities in every country as well. PNG, for example, appears to have a functional science wing, but to your point, one cannot gauge the coursework just based on this page:

upng.ac.pg/site/index.php/programs-snps

>how do they deal with this.

Simple, they just don't. Ever looked at a curriculum for one of those countries? They are garbage, every major is business school + a couple intro to the major courses.

>While we're on the subject how do third world nations deal with this? I can't imagine there are very main people in say haiti or papau new guineau who understand complex analysis at a level where they'd be able to meaningfully teach it.

Third world country here, it is not so bad.

By the way, professors here are not PhDs, the minimum qualification to become a professor is Masters degree... and that is the qualification everyone has.

I was told by a professor that for the first and second semester classes they choose the nicer professors so that students don't feel like killing themselves. After that it is a free for all.

Other than that, the professors who are specialized in applied teach calculus, statistics, linear algebra, etc. Professors who are specialized in pure teach geometry, analysis, topology, etc.

A small exception here is that no professor wants to teach fucking Euclidean Geometry I as they consider it the most tedious... except one guy who wants to suck Euclid's dick for some reason and he gets euclidean geometry I and II every single year.

am i the only one triggered by op's pic ?

The older professors here all went to top 5 universities while the younger professors who studied under those seem to do a fine (both in terms of teaching and international research reputation) despite never having left the country.

The departments eventually grow to become become more international and then it's mostly a lack of money that prevents them from being on par with the West.

You have a bad history with Fourier series or something?

Lmao, that's bullshit. It's bullshit mainly because there is only so much a university can do. I mean complex analysis? that's baby tier. The differences start at the research level, where you have to actually meet people knowledgeable to learn the tricks of the trade, often because it isn't even on print.

>getting taught by someone with a master degree in university/college

why are you paying for this?

that's not how you make an integral sign

Not him, but a MS in Math is plenty for someone teaching undergrad math.

Oh fuck me cannot unsee.

apparently black people can't draw integral signs for shit, what the actual fuck
that's just a bracket

I have no fucking idea, our differential geometry teacher is boring as fuck, doesn't know how to spend his lecture time. A complete disaster.

He is a PhD in computational statistics or something like that. But in our under graduate level he should be just fine.

Yeah I wanna punch myself in the face knowing there exists someone who actually draws integral signs like that

At my former uni in England (not the worst one btw.) I was taught first year CS course by a tard, who's done bachelor in his 30s.

And yes, he was still a bachelor teaching us. It was funny when he started sperging about his trivial thesis.

>Those imbalanced parentheses.

It's like they went to copy the equations but didn't understand what an integral sign was, so they assumed it was a bracket.

>writing out PI

>they don't notice the [math]\pi[/math] written as [math]PI[/math]

yes, that black man should be in the cotton field