Is once a year really enough?

Is once a year really enough?

Turkey's a lot cheaper when it's not thanksgiving.

Yes if you're not a fat piece of shit

Nope. At least around here the stores put turkeys on super cheap sales every year for thanksgiving. They're literally more expensive any other time of year

It is if you eat leftovers for like a week afterwards.

Turkey is cheaper than chiken by the kilo no reason to not eat it if you want.

No. I'd eat turkey dinners weekly if the portions were easier to manage. A whole bird is too much, but buying just a beast or legs isn't satisfying.

Thanksgiving dinner works for Christmas too.

I can cook a dead bird and a bag of stove top stuffing and boxed taters any time I want. Pop open a can of grands biscuits and make some gravy from the turkey juice...easy as crap and great.

Year round turkey eater here.

This.

Legs (drums), necks, and wings are usually around $1.50/lb.

No thighs on shelves since there's not a whole lot of meat in the thighs.

Breast is more expensive, but only because turkey breast is lean as fuck and used in cold cuts.

We have a roast meal every Sunday nigga

break your turkeys down yourself then freeze the portions? it'll save you money too

Huh? They had it at like a dollar a pound last year near me

>mother used to do a big Sunday meal every week
>family would all sit at the table, talk about their week, and enjoy the food
>my mother slowly stopped cooking, eventually doing away with our Sunday family meals
>eat in front of the TV every night, nobody speaks

Goddammit, I swear when I have a family, we're going to have family meals.

Thats what they all say.

Yes

strayan here, its almost whole-turkeys-available-at-supermarkets-season
last year for christmas I did an entire turkey roulade with a spiced cashew and pork stuffing

When my brother and I were living together we would buy a duck every other paycheck and have a roast duck with a cherry/rosemary sauce and some seasonal veggies. Thx for reminding me, I'm gonna make that for Thanksgiving this year when the whole family is together again.

What is thanks giving and why do americans celebrate it

I know nothing about it

The legend behind the holiday is that early European settlers in North America had a hard time growing crops and getting enough food to survive the winter season; the Native Americans who had been living here for thousands of years showed them how to grow corn, potatoes and other native crops, and how to hunt the animals of the land. (In return, the Europeans later cut down swaths of forest to grow cash crops and built walls to keep the Natives out.) To celebrate their friendship, they had a feast day where natives of the land and new settlers got together and cooked their best dishes and honored the good things in life. Pocahontas and John Smith got married and had a baby named Tiger Woods.

Actually, pretty much all of that is pure fiction, but that's still the spirit of the holiday. It's basically interim Christmas without gift-giving, and it marks the start (or used to) of the madness that is the Christmas season, with Black Friday (not the Megadeth song unfortunately) beginning between noon and midnight of Thanksgiving Day and lasting until the end of the year.

In my experience, my family will get together somewhere with the extended family that we only see once or twice a year at best. We drink Bloody Marys or Mimosas in the morning while dinner is cooking. Some of us bring dishes that we made at home to contribute, and most people have a particular dish they make every year. I'm a professional baker so I always end up making dessert no matter which part of the family I'm heading to. We catch up on life, eat a lot of good food and drink some good drinks.

There's also a parade in New York City that people watch on TV, as well as a Lions game (American Football) where everyone falls asleep on the couch while the Lions lose to some other team. The Dallas Cowboys also host a game and nobody fucking watches that as far as I know.

tl;dr

It's the time of the year when liberals get to remind everyone about native american genocide. They really enjoy it.

Yes, my aunt wears lots turquoise and loves to do this.

Kek.

I'm not murikan but I always bugged my dad about making turkey for Christmas because I really wanted to try it, Christmas here is summer so people are supposed to eat cold shit
Eventually he caved in and everyone loved it and it sorth of became a tradition too
I'm going nowhere with this story, I'm just happy I got a little bit of what I always see on tv, when you grow up with more murikan media than anything local it goes a long wsy

My life when I was a kid was shit but around Christmas I could always turn the TV on and see how happy people are there
For as much as people shit in murika that's a pretty wonderful thing

turkey is basically shit. You can make dry dressing and chicken and enjoy the experience of thanksgiving with less bullshit.

ROFL on the last paragraph. But, you forgot the part where stuffed guts require a little loosening of the belt for the digestion.

and easter!

I did this once when I had a (relatively) small extra turkey that someone had gifted me. I took the breasts right off the bone and tied and roasted them. I ate a mini thanksgiving meal for dinner for a week that way. The dark meat I cooked on the bone and then shredded by hand to make a bunch of pot pies.I kept them in the freezer and I'd have one from time to time which I did for a few months. I roasted the bones (again) with some vegetables and made a stock which I froze in ice cube trays which I used to make soups and things.

Totally worth the effort, I think, but I can see why you might not want to.

>I don't know how to cook a bird

>easter
>thanksgiving
>christmas

>once a year

This

If you have "Christmas ham" instead of a delicious moist roast turkey then you're probably a poorfag desu.

I like to make a ham and a turkey for Christmas. The ham for me for a long time of left over sandwiches and breakfasts and the turkey for everyone else to get their feels game on of nostalgia.

>having any easter traditions
Do you live in the 1800s?

He's right. Chicken works so much better. Makes better stuffing, makes better gravy. You're just an idiot that wants a pagent.

We invite family over to stuff our faces with brand name products to celebrate our victory over the drunken savage hordes.

This is what happens when you adapt to dull white middle class traditions. It's essentially shit food that needed to happen at the turn of the last century to keep the family from killing each other. It's a garbage menu and if you had a clue about food you'd know that. Ethiopians have better 'traditions'.

I know we do ham on Easter. Shit though, I've had 27 Christmases and can't remember if we do turkey or ham on Christmas too.

I'm taking over either way this year, I'm sick of never having tried goose. I'm buying saffron threads and everything.

Hire an indian if you're buying saffron, because you'll fuck it up. Regardless, goose and duck are so greasy you might as well make burgers.

Turkey is of questionable quality and is quite the hassle to cook.
If you really have fond memories of family Thanksgiving, then that's likely your only reason for loving it. Because of the happy memories, and fondness of some "special" moment.
For me, (and I speak for the majority here) Thanksgiving is an uncomfortable, forced event with family that you dislike, and obligated to overeat this shitty, dry meat that is somewhat difficult to get just right, so it most often is NOT right. Because of the bad family situation and difficulty in preparing it well, turkey goes hand in hand with negative thoughts and emotions, and is not something you want to replicate.
You are a pretty special snowflake if your Thanksgivings were some Norman Rockwell idealized bullshit.
Seriously, does this picture dredge up good emotions in YOU? Be honest.

This. Turkey is chickens drier, less tasty cousin.

>tfw dont even get to have it once

people who don't know, preach. Chicken is a gift. I have two recipes that people, and I mean everyone, go nuts for. And, AND you can make gravy from it. Let these jokers make turducken and pork.

Unusual things you do with TG turkeys?

I break mine down each year and roast only the breast for Thanksgiving.

I use the back, neck and wing tips to make stock from which to make turkey gravy once the breast is roasted.

I smoke the wings (and since I can't be fucked heating my smoker just for two measly wings, I take this opportunity for sausages, as well). The smoked wings get added to a pot of collards.

Other things I cook for TG: garlic mash, bread and rice dressing made with crumble-cooked American breakfast sausage, a loaf of sourdough, stuffed mushrooms, fake-ass succotash (fava beans instead of lima) and buttered carrots-and-parsnips.

I save the thighs and drumsticks in the freezer.

I like to roast the thighs at a later date for an easy meal. I cook the drums in a curry or stew, carefully pulling the meat off once cooked to avoid getting those tough stringy bits in there.

>tfw i think my post is gonna go ignored ):

2/3 bread crumbs 1/3 mashed potatoes, chopped onion, salt , pepper and poultry seasoning to taste, before putting in oven stir in butter or drippings from a chicken or turkey

Piri piri Chicken

2 tbsp McCormicks piri piri blend
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (thyme or Italian blend may work)
2 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Salt
4 Garlic Cloves minced/finely chopped

optional:

Liquid piri piri hot sauce to taste (approx. 2tsp)

mix well

Use Jacques Pepin recipe for application instructions and cooking.