Are copper pans/pots a good investment? what would a copper pan be good for that other pans are not?

are copper pans/pots a good investment? what would a copper pan be good for that other pans are not?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Revere-Copperclad-1-Quart-Covered-Saucepan/dp/B00005B5YY
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002L5FOS/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1473552904&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mauviel pans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can use them in the microwave.

Soooo pretty

I think the big claim is supposed to be even heat distribution because of how well copper conducts heat.

All of the above except the microwave.
The copper will tarnish in time tho. It's what copper does.

Don't know, but common consensus is copper woks are shit tier.

yeah it is
cast iron also has equal head distribution tho right? I already have a cast iron pan that I use regularly, so if this is the main advantage to copper, i'll probably pass. plus it costs 3x times the price of my skillet

Yeah but then you just clean it with ketchup

Cast iron is terrible for heat distribution. It's advantage is it's ability to retain heat, which can also be a disadvantage because it's less responsive.
Copper and cast iron are polar opposites in terms of heat distribution.

Disclaimer: my SS pan has a copper base But I did some research. I haven't used all copper.

Lemon juice and/or vinegar and/or baking soda

I've got copper, aluminum, and cast iron

The copper is great for eggs and pan sauces. It's also very good for any situations where precise control at low burner settings are desired

The aluminum is a good general purpose material. It could stand in for the copper, the copper just takes it to the next level

The cast iron I just use for stuff like corn bread and oven roasted vegetables. It's clumsy and takes too long to respond to changes, but in an oven that's not all too important

The most common retarded things I hear about copper are that it's toxic (not an issue because essentially all copper pans are lined with steel or tin), and that it gets tarnished and you have to polish it autistically or you will die (I assume this is the cast iron neckbeards responsible for this one, since they autistically massage flaxseed oil into MUH PORES on a daily basis)

The main "problem" with some copper is that it's tinned (although most of the modern stuff you see isn't). Tinned copper likes to be babied although it's really nice for eggs. Otherwise the only real drawback is that it costs more, but neckbeards don't have any qualms about drinking $200 a month of craft beer, so it's really a bogus argument

copper also has anti-bacterial properties. Which was an important quality in cookware before Alexander Fleming came along

Ketchup, lemon juice, and vinegar are all acidic. Baking soda is caustic. For removing tarnish, you're better off with some acid to help remove it. I'm not saying it's impossible to use baking soda; with a little water, it would make a nice, very gentle, abrasive to remove the tarnish.

This. Copper is best for sauces due to its great ability of conducting heat. Stainless steel is also good for cookware, a little less expensive than copper.

copper is anti bacterial, so you don't need to cook as long to make meat safe to eat

You mean "toxic properties". Nearly all copper cookware is coated on the interior. In the early days it was done with molten tin. Tin is soft so periodically the pan has to be re-tinned. It also melts at a low temperature which can be a problem if you leave an empty pan on the hob.

But like said, the toxicity of copper is simply a point of discussion. It's not a problem for your food because the pans are lined.

The handle is copper too kek, that's retarded.

Actually it's brass, but I agree
My cast iron handled pans are much more pleasant to use
Cast iron is one of the greatest insulators known to cooking

I take it back if it's brass.

I know cast iron is something you should have because it's very good at what it's supposed to do, but is it good for every day use, like a nice tri-ply stainless steel pan is?

Copper pans are good for when precise temperature control is needed for things like sauces and emulsions.

Cast Iron has good heat retention which makes it good for things like quick sears.

Stainless steel is good as an all-rounder, and it's more durable and less expensive than copper, so you can afford to do more intensive work in it like sauteeing or even flambeeing.

I currently use stainless steel. I'm probably going to buy some cast iron ones but the stainless steel is a great allrounder. I'm not sure why I should use copper. The distribution of temperature might be awesome but you can also preheat the stainless steel ones well.

>investment

Tools should never be an investment.

Copper is generally considered to be the best, but only the top chefs would be able to tell the difference between a copper-clad pan and a good quality aluminum clad pan.

it depends on thickness, but your average copper pan (~2.5mm) has the heat distribution of a 7mm thick aluminum pan, but with the responsiveness of a 2.5mm aluminum pan

it's not critical, because good aluminum is really good, but it is nice if you don't mind spending the money

>copper is anti bacterial, so you don't need to cook as long to make meat safe to eat

good one

>a copper-clad pan
that's not what this thread is about

how embarrassing for you

>it's not like the OP posted a picture of a copper clad pan or anything

wew lad

DELETE THIS!

that isn't a copper clad pan
this just keeps getting worse for you

>that isn't a copper clad pan

oh i see, we're being trolled

>I was just pretending to be retarded
you weren't pretending

>Tools should never ben an investment.

Get a load of this tool.

Do you even know what cladding means? Because it seems like you don't.

he's afraid of spending on the copper clad luxury pans that you can't even tell the difference from my as-seen-on-TV pans.

the most prestigious chef's in the world can tell maybe, but not your average man on the street.

keep digging, maybe you can distract them!

>translation: no, I have no fucking clue what I am talking about

Good job knocking the thread off course though.

this is getting tiresome now
you should try to learn about cookware before running your mouth off
please don't post anymore, we're trying to have a discussion

here, I even did your homework for you:
amazon.com/Revere-Copperclad-1-Quart-Covered-Saucepan/dp/B00005B5YY

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002L5FOS/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1473552904&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mauviel pans

slight difference but it's ok you learned something new :)

>baking soda is caustic

cast iron is kind of a pain in the ass sometimes because even if it's properly seasoned, it will inevitably need to be seasoned again after constant use. Also a lot of newer cast iron is manufactured in a way such that the surface is full of tiny nooks and crannies as opposed to the smoother cast iron of years past and is therefore not quite as non-stick as the ones your grandparents probably used.

Also they're heavy as fuck and the handles get hot as shit.

uh, it's generally laquered, what pans are you using where you have to season the handles?

>cast iron properly seasoned

What meme is this?

where did I say I season the handles?

google is your friend

He obviously meant basic or alkaline. Caustic refers to being extremely basic, to the point that it damages organic tissues. It's a common mistake since acidic refers to all solutions with a pH below 7, but caustic refers to only the extremely alkaline. An acidic substance can be just as damaging as a caustic substance, but not all acidic substances are as dangerous as all caustic substances. It's a weird double standard that you don't have to be a douche about, you know he meant basic.

Just get a normal pan with a copper base
they heat up liquids really well

You're fucking basic you goddamn autist.

>where did I say I season the handles?
someone said op's pan has a copper handle
I said it's brass, but that cast iron was better
someone started talking about seasoning
I said why
you said oh but it's not the handle

I suppose some vintage pans may require a new coat but I still wouldn't season them like it's a lodge skillet or something

Copper is the second most efficient electrical/heat conductor, behind silver. The reason copper is so popular in industry is that it's much cheaper than silver, and still conducts very well.

I was replying to a guy who asked if cast iron is good for every day use.

>copper is #3
>silver is #2
I believe gold is the #1 conductor.

We're talking about thermal conductivity. Not using pans to build circuitry.

>navel oranges
>California oranges

conductivity is conductivity.

Well, in both cases, you're wrong. Silver is #1

Try to cope

>Revereware is the only kind of clad copper

see, we were right about you not knowing dick. a little bit of knowledge can get you in a lot of trouble, as user has demonstrated.

we're anonymous, there's no face to save, not that you could
just go to bed

What point are you trying to make? Both of those are clad.

But baking soda is acidic. You just need to add water.

www.aww.com.au/how-to/expert-qa/baking-soda-bicarb-soda-baking-powder-what-is-the-difference-13045

I think that when people say "caustic" they mean "scratchy". But that's just my opinion.

baking soda is literally the opposite of acidic. It's a base.

>the expert you linked to is wrong
ok. i'll pass it on. thank you!

>the """expert""" on Women's Weekly is wrong
You're serious? You can literally eat baking soda to neutralize an acidic stomach.

Actually, I actually read the article you linked.

>Bicarbonate of soda is a pure leavening agent. It needs to be mixed with moisture and an acidic ingredient for the necessary chemical reaction to take place to make food rise. Because it needs an acid to create the rising quality, it is often used in recipes where there is already an acidic ingredient present, such as lemon juice, chocolate, buttermilk or honey.

You didn't even read the fucking article properly, did you? When you mix water, baking soda, and a weak acid, you get air bubbles.

Get the CopperChef™ cooking pan with new Cerametech© coating! It's my favorite infomercial to watch ever since they stopped showing the NutraBullet with its patented cyclone technology that emulsifies the cells, turning them inside out, so that regular foods become nutrient packed superfoods!

the "expert" doesn't say that anywhere in the link. baking soda is a base. this is not up for argument.

other people learn this in like 7th grade, user.

Read it again. Baking soda is not bicarb of soda. It has bicarb as an ingredient.

Just out of interest; do you have a learning disability?

What does Veeky Forums think about scanpans?

>I actually read the article you linked.
But only after you commented. Now you've read and tried to move goal posts to save face anonymously. How sad is that? This isn't even a debate.

Certainly not worth debating.
When someone suggests using baking soda as a cleaning aid it is implied that water is to be added. Did you think that someone suggested rubbing dry powder onto the surface of a copper pan? Wew!

>water is to be added
I meant 'liquid'. Sorry. Usually lemon juice.

>baking soda is literally the opposite of acidic.
>the "expert" doesn't say that anywhere in the link.

>www.aww.com.au/how-to/expert-qa/baking-soda-bicarb-soda-baking-powder-what-is-the-difference-13045
>Baking powder, which contains bicarbonate of soda, comes pre-mixed with the acidic ingredient for you – so all you need to add is the moisture. The acidic ingredient most often used in baking powder is cream of tartar.

>this fucking autism

even a cursory search would tell you that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a mild base

context?

chemistry?

how does it feel to get owned?

(Mad?)
Sure, baking soda is a base for baking powder, but that's not the issue here.
How many more (You)s do you need before you get you're fix?

Sounds like hell for me, I hate making extra work for myself. I'll stck to my all rounder, low maintenance cookware.

>baking soda is acidic

Did you look at the links? Or do you just not understand what "cladding" means? The Mauviel is actual copper, the Revereware is copper clad

not worth the money

the only real advantage of copper is that you can change the temperature easily

but I think they are prone to hot spots

so I'd only get one copper sauce pan

it's not worth buying non-stick copper because the pan lasts 10+ years, but the coating lasts maybe 2-3

iron is the most durable, but only good for constant temperature cooking and batch cooking
roast pans, sausages

also this

Nice damage control, retard.

We're well past the point where you can deflect by acting dumb. I can only assume you're just bored. Have some attention. It's on me.

This nigga gets it

It has great conductivity so food cooks evenly (translation: you don't have to constantly stir things)

i think you mean "investment"

you're supposed to season the handle too m8

at least that's what the internet told me

congrats man you made it into my dumb Veeky Forums posters collage

"This nigga" here

It's not really about stirring things, you can achieve the same effect with a heavy aluminum pan or those godawful disc bottom pans

What (actual, not clad) copper gives you is the even heat of thick aluminum, with the quick response time of thinner aluminum

The problem with thick aluminum is that you don't really see pans with ~7mm thick aluminum except disc bottom (which has drawbacks). There used to be (not sure if there still is) a line of unlined aluminum pans about 6mm thick, but nothing lined. So as a practical matter unless you're commissioning custom pans, copper is always going to be the best performing material you can get in a store

>I'm just going to keep shitposting pay attention to me REEEEEeEEeeEeeeeEEE
Here is more attention

>. Baking soda is not bicarb of soda. It has bicarb as an ingredient.

You are quite obviously thinking of baking powder because that statement is completely wrong. Go look at the ingredients list of your baking soda right now

>Active ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate........100%

Also sodium bicarb is bicarb of soda

Baking powder is the one with a couple acidic compounds in it in addition to sodium bicarbonate

Biologcially tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable.

>the internet
You mean Veeky Forums?

The tin would be fucked well before the handle got hot enough to do any seasoning

I imagine that's why laquering is done

never mind i thought you were talking about cast iron my b

but that's mostly true

If you said "Biologically tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit" then we'd be getting somewhere

baking soda and baking powder are different

Lincoln offered the south to keep their slaves if they would just keep paying taxes and stay with the union