Magic mushrooms lifts severe depression in trial

Magic mushrooms lifts severe depression in trial

Scientists at Imperial College London induced intense psychedelic trips in 12 people using high doses of the banned substance psilocybin.

A week after the experience all the volunteers were depression-free, and three months later five still had no symptoms of the condition.

telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/17/magic-mushrooms-lifts-severe-depression-in-trial/

Imagine if we spent the last 4 decades advancing this medicine instead of declaring war on it, how many fewer people could be suffering. Screw the stigma, medicine is medicine!

Other urls found in this thread:

thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(16)30065-7/abstract
dna-view.com/pvalue.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=omB6bSfskCI
youtube.com/watch?v=7Sdg5NzMUF4
youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Interesting viewpoint:

>Psychedelics don't just magically treat depression but in my experience they can make you look at a situation in a way that you would never have looked at it sober. This insight is something that can stick with you forever and can also be a major step in the treatment of depression. I'm just putting this out there because I myself have suffered from major depression and while shrooms didn't cure it they definitely helped me a lot.

Here's what I want to know - how much of it is due to the chemicals themselves vs the experience. Hear me out:

What if someone did mushrooms and then fell asleep and bypassed the psychedelic experience? I would argue the effect would be much less - it's the experience - feeling those feelings and having those thoughts that brings relief. Makes me wonder if you can have those life altering experiences without drugs, albeit the psilocybin helps facilitate it more easily.

>only 12 people

Pseudoscience.

Come back with a far far larger study sample than 12 people.

When i was in college, graduated 4 years ago, i dropped 2g of shrooms

My test anxiety went away (permanently) and my social anxiety went away (until about a year ago).

But i can not say its how it will be for everyone and in my experience, the effects may not be permanent.

Yeah, mushrooms are straight up medicine, I personally suffered from depression for ~3.5 years in college and social anxiety for a while, around the end of my first semester of senior year I took 2g of shrooms and ended up seriously reevaluating my life, I started getting in shape, going out more, and generally working on longer term plans, I took another 2g or so again the night before my graduation and my depression and social anxiety have been pretty much gone ever since.

I'd done some fucking around with other hallucinogens like DXM and salvia while I was depressed and they didn't really help or if anything made it worse.

I would definitely recommend mushrooms to those who suffer from social anxiety or depression, there's no guarantee it will work, the drugs won't make you better they just help you fix your own problems, and there's a chance of a bad trip, but the absolute worst that can happen is a couple hours of being scared and upset and if it works...you're just not depressed any more.

Well, over the course of the past year I've taken oodles of acid and turned my brain from a constipated overanalytical self referential autistic puzzlebox to a living breathing self actualized love machine in tune with the consciousness of the universe and those around me, but this is not something that will work for most people and I wouldn't really recommend trying it (if it's you you'll know) and LSD is more about finding your path and self development rather than being primarily medicinal like psilocybin.

>bad trip, but the absolute worst that can happen is a couple hours of being scared and upset

That is not a bad trip.

A bad trip is where you enter hell, a cold, friendless, plain, no loving empty gray world and it changes you and it doesnt stop when the trip ends.

This shit is powerful and needs to be supervised by medical professionals.

>Makes me wonder if you can have those life altering experiences without drugs, albeit the psilocybin helps facilitate it more easily.
Yeah.

But if you're not taking drugs, it has to be real. Like, a real actual life-and-death situation, or a once-in-a-lifetime turning point that will determine your future, or putting your body through some extreme physical stress.

It's not something you can just dial up on demand unless you're OK with risking your life or something, hence the use of drugs.

>A bad trip is where you enter hell, a cold, friendless, plain, no loving empty gray world and it changes you and it doesnt stop when the trip ends.
No, dude, a bad trip is when you look around you and look at your life clearly for the first time and realize you have been living in hell, a cold, friendless, plain, loveless empty gray world you just weren't aware of it, and then instead of try to make changes or find friends or love or fix the things wrong with your life, you do nothing and sit there and expect to just go right back to sleep.

>This shit is powerful and needs to be supervised by medical professionals.
No, being supervised by a doctor with questionable personal experience who got good grades in school and only gives a shit about you as long as you are giving him money instead of exploring things for yourself is more likely to harm than help, doing it with a psychiatrist is even worse.

Doing it with a shaman would be one thing but a doctor is not a fucking shaman and is not qualified to play the role of one.

>This shit is powerful and needs to be supervised by medical professionals.

it's tough because any sort of institutionalized and controlled environment will almost guarantee an unpleasant trip

what a faggot

thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(16)30065-7/abstract

>Large effect size
> low p value

> pseudoscience

Please stop writing about neuro, you pleb

>It's not something you can just dial up on demand unless you're OK with risking your life or something, hence the use of drugs.

I entirely disagree.
All of the effects of hallucinogens can be achieved through meditation and breath work (pranayama, etc), but it takes at least months, and probably years of effort.

The end result is more powerful and lasting than you could ever hope to achieve with drugs.

The drugs essentially give you a fraction of the benefits of (meditation, ego loss, etc) at 0.0001% of the effort and 0% of the patience.

>All of the effects of hallucinogens can be achieved through meditation and breath work (pranayama, etc), but it takes at least months, and probably years of effort.

Not the user you were replying to.

Which effects?
And which studies show similar effects of meditation (and breath work), and hallucinogens?

Please, prove to me you are not some pleb spouting opinions on sci

>All of the effects of hallucinogens can be achieved through meditation and breath work (pranayama, etc), but it takes at least months, and probably years of effort.
That's not really the same effect, though - it's expanding your own consciousness, not simply fixing your mental problems, it's a growth process not a medicinal one.

The point of this is so people with depression can take shrooms once or a few times and work through their issues at once or over a few months, then go back to living their lives, not dedicate their lives to achieving transcendence, a patient would be better off getting nearly killed in a car accident or something and working their shit out than starting on some long-term path of meditation while still suffering from crippling depression.

>The end result is more powerful and lasting than you could ever hope to achieve with drugs.
If you believe that then you, my friend, need to try using more drugs

Not all human knowledge has been studied by science. That does not mean it is not valid.

Lifelong spiritual and meditative practices have not been studied by science, for the simple reason that running a controlled study on something that takes years-decades of isolated existence is extremely expensive, impractical and inconvenient, and not likely to produce results that are useful to the average layperson.

Only a total fool with a child's grasp of the scientific method would take this to mean the entire practice is invalid. Yes, lacking clear experimental evidence makes it harder to distinguish fact from fantasy but if you place any value in your reasoning ability you should be able to gain from learning more about it.

Hey, kid, learn what science is for real and stop reading trash popsci garbage. While you're at it, get the fuck off this site.

>prove to me you are not some pleb spouting opinions on sci

that's more or less what I am, but I'm all but positive the information is out there, should you look
I've experienced intense hallucinations brought on by weeks of daily pranayama practice, on par with a mild to somewhat intense acid trip (having about 30-35 of those in the past probably helped)
I've also had hallucinations and other incredibly strong psychedelic experiences brought on by meditation alone - I very much suggest guided ones
I believe that meditation is an incredibly powerful technique - not in a metaphysical new age hippy bullshit way (fuck crystals and fuck kale), but in a very real, physical way.

t. a pleb spouting my opinions and experiences on Veeky Forums, take it for what you will, but I am very strongly opposed to the whole "new age" hippy movement, am a undergraduate (junior atm) student in physics at UCLA, think myself to be a pretty logical person, and can say with absolute confidence that these effects are real.

>>The end result is more powerful and lasting than you could ever hope to achieve with drugs.

>If you believe that then you, my friend, need to try using more drugs

if you believe that the pinnacle of ego death and transcendental experiences can be achieved through drugs and not by meditation, you really need to try more meditation...

why don't you try blasting off on DMT while balls deep in your doses and come talk to me then

I've done that dozens of times. I've eaten entire strips of acid, I've taken DMT rips every half hour for an entire day, I've eaten more 1/8ths of shrooms than I care to count.
I also spent years doing daily meditations.

I'm telling you - the non-drug route is FAR more powerful.

I've tried both. Have you tried both? I didn't think so.

You have nothing in terms of a refutation to the idea that psycobilin could be useful against depression and other mood disorders.

Also

Low p value

dna-view.com/pvalue.htm

Go away troll.

> I've eaten entire strips of acid, I've taken DMT rips every half hour for an entire day

you sound like a silly person

>I'm telling you - the non-drug route is FAR more powerful.
I'm telling you - you're doing it wrong

well, you're not necessarily doing it wrong, each of us follows our own path, not all need the same experiences, not all are available to everyone, perhaps meditation works better for you

and DMT isn't really what does it it's more of just WHOA, the right mix seems to be 3-4 doses for the full ego death and enough ketamine that you start lagging plus the vibes, music and whatever else you add in over the night but the transcendental oneness and stillness of meditation ain't got shit on viewing yourself as a living moving instrument of God on earth and when you think too hard about it a cop rolls up.

and yeah, some spunion taking acid or shrooms and tripping balls man is not gonna have long term effects but when you learn yourself well enough to fully trip out, you just don't turn back off again

look, drugs are a tool, meditation is a spiritual discipline that has been studied for thousands of years, and sure a lifelong master of meditation can get more spiritually in tune than some kid at a string cheese concert, just like someone who's trained at archery his whole life is gonna be a better shot than some chump with a handgun, but no amount of practice is going to make his bow and arrow as powerful as a precision missile strike, and the skills to work a bow aren't the same as those to work a cruise missile although the same hand-eye coordination and visiospatial reflex come in handy

also, fuck you, kale is tasty

In college I was severely depressed, took 2g of mushrooms and I had full blown psychosis and developed schizophrenia

This. My friend had taken acid many times but he told me the last time he took acid it ended up beong not as pleasent as he thought. It is not worth the chance

so basically, you're fried?
ah, that explains why you think meditation is comparable to a psychedelic trip. you're just mentally fucked up

psychedelics don't generate these mental illnesses, but rather surface or exacerbate them

this is why its important for therapeutic use to be medically (scientifically) monitored, e.g. a background check on your mental health, and having anti-psychotics on hand for a bad trip. and 2g is waayyy too much for depression therapy.

hey buddy, I'm not even him but I've tripped on acid dozens of times, blasted off on DMT 3 times, done shrooms maybe about a dozen times and k holed plenty hard before, I finished my master's in math 2 weeks ago, do some research into the actual pharmacological effects of LSD, psilocybin, etc, and you'll learn that they have no long term effect on your brain, the only people who "fry their brains" or can't handle their shit are doing so because they are too mentally weak or irresponsible to process reality and stay on top of their shit not because of damage from the drugs.

don't be such a scared little nerd afraid of new experiences, unless you really are a mental weakling

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with this guy. I haven't tried both but I like that you have. I've never had any hallucinogenic drugs (besides an absolutely excellent bunch of visual hallucinations on a very strong weed high) but I do meditation and it's a startlingly strong experience.

Your analogy isn't doing it right. A bow and arrow and a gun are both effective tools, the gun of course being a stronger weapon. But we're not talking about weapons, we're talking about personal development, so let's talk about that.
>sharpshooter vs. archer
The bow and arrow teaches and forces you to learn more! A master sharpshooter and a master archer will have both gained insane knowledge and insight into a skill, but who could do the other's job? If an archer picked up a gun, he would be able to do a pretty good job of hitting a target from short to medium distances, and would have already gained the skills of patience, breath control, and extreme focus (you like where this little meditation analogy is going?) The archer would have a big leg up on a sharpshooter, who has to learn how to position the arrow, shoot it accurately, and keep the bow and arrow steady. And once he finally got going his arm and shoulder strength still hasn't developed like the archer's so his arms will just give out eventually.

See what I mean? Meditation is way harder, but it teaches you many skills and forces you to gain discipline.

>How about a more accurate analogy:
Two people get ready to cook dinner. One makes a hot pocket and consumes it, filling his hunger and gaining some nutritional value, and also leaving more minutes to shitpost on Veeky Forums.

The other consults a recipe online and makes a nice chili with a salad on the side, gaining new knowledge on cooking and leaving enough for 3-4 days of leftovers for snacking. His nutritional needs and hunger are more than fulfilled and he's very satisfied with his work.

See what I mean?

>and 2g is waayyy too much for depression therapy.
read the study faggot, it doesn't say how much they did but it says "high doses" for an "intense psychedelic experience", 2g is like enough to fuck around with your friends for a few hours and play videogames any less is hardly even a trip most likely they are on 3-5g.

>I've never tried psychedelics but still have strong opinions on what their effects must be like!
that's now how it works kiddo

>wall of text demonstrating how much you don't get it
try tripping, dude, the other guy's wrong about this but he gets it

>sharpshooter vs. archer
The analogy wasn't sharpshooter vs. archer. The analogy was archer vs. precision guided missile. Sure learning how to shoot a bow also improves your physical agility. But you just shot an arrow 100 yards and I completely obliterated your entire civilization from an air conditioned room while drinking mountain dew. Technology makes new things possible that never would have been possible without technology, no amount of artisanship is going to make you a better craftsman than a 3D printer.

>blah blah I am going to seriously try to come up with analogy for an experience I have never had that by its very nature defies being put into words and pretend this means anything
Come on dude, just because it's cute and you like how it sounds doesn't mean it isn't completely fucking retarded. Like the acid guy eats a klondike bar and the meditation guy raises and milks his own cow, grows his own sugar and cocoa and spends months working on this ice cream sandwich and the damn thing still melts faster and doesn't hold together as good. Meanwhile the acid guy had time to get a physics degree and also eat ice cream while the meditation guy was working on raising a cow.

Ay..
lmao
but
Cali bros?

Why do so called medical 'experts' label drugs as either 'bad' or 'good'? How can one chemical be intrinsically and objectively either 'bad' or 'good'?

1. Hallucinogens do not "cure" anything, they damage the brain, making depression "inactive".

2. Hallucinogen use is related to decreased brain activity but higher self esteem due to the damage done that promotes lack of self-awareness [Timothy Leary and John C. Lilly bother experienced mental retardation and schizophrenia later in life and both attributed this to their drug use, but saw it as a "good thing".]

3. Mental illness is caused by bio-psycho-social concepts and stimulants and sedatives only mask the issues by confusing the brain or damping activity.

4. Many "mental illnesses" are not diseases but normal diversity, whistleblowing, etc... that are interpreted as annoying or a challenge to authority/cultural norms... giving people drugs for this continues the belief whistleblowers should not be listened to.

Cyanide kills. Scolopamine turns you into a paid politician, minus the money.

>1. Hallucinogens do not "cure" anything, they damage the brain, making depression "inactive".
gee thanks for clarifying, you should probably inform the authors of the study about this amazing insight because somehow in their careers of research in neurology this simple fact evaded them

Seriously though, I hope you're trolling and you're not this opinionated while being completely and utterly ignorant of the pharmacological effects of hallucinogens.

So, instead of asking for evidence, you just engage in personal attacks and mockery?

And you try to support your belief with authoritarianism?

Let me guess, you believe DMT allows people to "see other worlds"?

Studies have been on hallucinogens for decades. It's a well-established fact they caused long term or permanent brain damage, and often this is accompanied by dissociation and symptoms mimicking being high or manic.

A true scientist would ask for evience nad never engaged in personal attacks.

0/10 into the trash for pseudo-science and logical fallacies.

Government based groups or groups like the APA, WHO, NIDA, etc is likely where you got your information from. They're all full of shit. Some scientific groups still deny that stuff like weed is harmless despite their own studies finding it to be harmless. You have to realize that these people lie for reasons related to money making and government agendas, and you've bought into it so badly ou actually think what you're saying is "science" and I frankly feel fucking bad for you.

re read the OP mate

I'm not even that guy, but this is a discussion between anonymous people on the internet, not a meeting between legitimate figures in the scientific community.

What I will say to the point though is that hallucinogenic drugs may be valid as a tool co-opted with therapy to treat severe depression. If they cause severe brain damage in individuals who's brains deem not living over living, then that is a cost one should be willing to consider.

My opinions and beliefs are utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

You are making a factually false claim, that the only effect of hallucinogens are caused through "brain damage", not that you ever define what exactly this means, and you are producing no evidence and claiming it exists.

You are wrong. Do some research and you will find this to be confirmed.

Stop letting your personal opinions take the place of doing some actual research.

>Government based groups or groups like the APA, WHO, NIDA, etc is likely where you got your information from. They're all full of shit.

Aka, you're a skitzo idiot with no evidence.
And that's not ad hom because I'm not saying:
>You're a poopyhead so you're wrong.
I'm saying
>You're argument doesn't support your conclusion so you're a poopyhead

No need. I read it once and I have perfect reading comprehension.
There are decades of empirical research that contradict these faux-studies.
He might as well of posted
>Nature.com says hippy conducted studies on weed and says it makes you into a godhead, dude!

It's not science. Fuck off.

>seratonin mimic drugs cause brain damage

If that was true, feeling good is actually experiencing slow brain death.

Maybe your sources are correct? No reason to avoid it then, enjoy your death!

strong troll

>There are decades of empirical research that contradict these faux-studies.
Which are all readily available for reading, 4 to 6 inches past your anus

>WAAAAAAAAAAH DONT RESORT TO AD HOM OMG
>resorts to ad hom
>tries to double think his way out of it in the same post

>You are making a factually false claim, that the only effect of hallucinogens are caused through "brain damage"

But they do.
It's a scientific fact supposed by the entire academic consensus, which in turn is based on decades of study.

Don't believe me? Take 4000 hits of acid and smoke 50 grams of DMT.
If you can still do math in 1 year, then I'll pay you 14,000 Euro or Bitcoin.

I'm not even the guy you were initially replying to you crank, but most of these "associations" or "organizations" are completely corrupt as hell with their bullshit studies. It doesn't take a genius to realize this. They've had an agenda against all drugs from day one, even alcohol and tobacco. They're even worse with illegal drugs and usually cherry pick and have confirmation bias up the ass.

>thinks studies with 12 people are worth looking at

Jesus Christ.

>here, take a SHIT TON of this psychoactive with other psychoactive to prove its bad and basically prove my ridiculous point

Ever hear of dose makes the poison?

Hey idiot, I pointed out that it's not an ad hominem.

Here are some videos and a pic to explain the difference:
youtube.com/watch?v=omB6bSfskCI
youtube.com/watch?v=7Sdg5NzMUF4

>posting references as to why your ad-hom was magically not an ad-hom
>still haven't posted a single reference for your actual argument

>Ever hear of dose makes the poison?
That's not English, try again.

Don't give me that shit. They are and this is basic knowledge for studies in general. You probably didn't even read the link.

>thinks mass studies can be conducted on substances banned from research

>small sample sizes are irrelevant

right, because the groups that banned them from research surely did a thorough, extensive study on all the effects before they made the decision, 2/10

"Dose makes the poison" is a common sense phrase regarding drugs you mong.

Not all insults are ad homs.
If they accompany counter-arguments, then they're not ad hominems.
Ad hominem is when you insult someone rather than addressing them in order to dismiss.
I didn't dismiss at all, I destroyed their argument and then proceeded to call them stupid.

It's only an ad hom if there is a dismissal without reason.
I didn't do that. I didn't dismiss. I countered.

>continuing inane semantic discussion while still failing to post a single scrap of evidence for your so-called "reasoning"

"you're wrong so therefore you're a poopyhead" is not a counterargument, whether or not it is technically an ad-hom

doesn't matter what preceded the statement, name calling is ad hom

but it's Veeky Forums, so whatever

YOR RETARTED

I never used an ad hominem, and nor did I not leave a counter argument.
Here is my ORIGINAL POST THAT CONTAINED MY PERFECT COUNTER ARGUMENT:
Stop saying I didn't have a counter-argument.
I did, and it was perfect and without error, you drug using shitheads.
And that's not an ad hominem because my perfect counter-argument is here:
Which still hasn't been addressed AT ALL.

>Timothy Leary and John C. Lilly experienced mental retardation and schizophrenia

Searching either name with "schizophrenia" came up with... big surprise... absolutely nothing relevant to your claim.

Nice try, at least claim something more ambiguous that can't be flat out disproved with 15 seconds on google.

The first time I did mushrooms was the single most incredible experience of my life.

I honestly didn't know what joy felt like until I did them. I had 8+ hours of absolute bliss. Awful shits, but totally worth it. Changed my life for the better without a doubt.

You've been doing nothing but digging up faulty science, combating valid methods of study, calling people names, and outright lying to prove your point. You sound just like one of those anti-drug organization people.

>all this ego
>not letting people do what they do
>What would Jerry do?

I like Fly Agaric, but they don't count as magic mushrooms since they work completely different.
Neither do they give euphoria.
I've also tried other deliriants like nutmeg, DPH, and Datura but Fly Agaric is by far the least taxing on my body

Also namecalling is not an ad hom.
It's only an ad hom when an insult is used as The argument, an insult is not an ad hom in every other case.

concrete, repeated successful uses of hallucinogens for healing - psilocybin for cluster headaches, ibogaine for opiate dependence.

More general benefits (depression, anxiety) are more complex and hard to quantify. Effects vary greatly not only from user to user but from experience to experience with the same user.

from personal experience..... its kind of like riding a crazy horse across a desert. You'll have to repeat the journey on your own, but you'll know it can be crossed.

if you use psychedelics too wrong, or too young, they can fuck with you... I think... there's no telling... none of us can say.
Would I be president? a murderer? if I didn't get on that horse?
I think the biggest problem is that people are doing them at the wrong age. too young. but what the hell do I know? it depends it depends it depends, and most of what it depends on is damn near beyond us to understand

Not if there's cuddles and bean bags

shrooms rock

i hope they're the next big thing that everyone pushes for to be legalized

legalize shrooms 2020

>I've taken DMT rips every half hour for an entire day
Your entire story is a lie and I can tell from this statement.

You need a full hour or two between blast offs or it doesn't do shit.

>A true scientist would ask for evience nad never engaged in personal attacks.
You had me until this.

7/10 you got a lot of other fuckers.

>4. Many "mental illnesses" are not diseases but normal diversity, whistleblowing, etc... that are interpreted as annoying or a challenge to authority/cultural norms... giving people drugs for this continues the belief whistleblowers should not be listened to.
As someone with ADHD, I generally agree with this statement.

However hallucinogens are not administered the same way as traditional medications. You are not giving people a small dose of mushrooms every day to keep depression at bay, but rather giving them a single experience augmented with mushrooms to teach them how to deal with the underlying causes of their depression.

You cannot sincerely pretend that you think this is the same as daily doses of medication.

>depressed since age ~12
>did half a dozen extremely intense trips in my early 20s
>still depressed

no magical cure here
certainly had a lasting on my personality (more open to new ideas, helped with autismo), but no effect whatsoever on mood/energy levels

>I've also tried other deliriants like nutmeg,
So does nutmeg actually work? I've been convinced that it's the greatest troll on the internet. A friend and I painstakingly ate 40g of nutmeg and it didn't do anything except make me sleep for 30 of the next 48 hours.

And my god, eating all of that was the worst thing I've ever done.

>12 people
The sample size to make scientific paper gets smaller every year, last I heard the minimum sample size you could have was 30 people.

30 is kind of an arbitrary level used to teach statistics and it's also kind of a good guideline for many sciences, however the nature of your study has a large influence and largely trumps this guideline.

For example, if you're surveying American opinion of political candidates, a sample size of 30 is absolutely not sufficient. Even a sample size of 100 yields completely insignificant results.

In neurology, as it happens, it is very difficult to get large sample sizes. This is why we are not very good at neurology.

>40g of nutmeg
Fresh or powder?

Eat 2 fresh nutmegs and you'll be tripping
Powder doesn't work half as well.

Yes it sucks, deliriants are shit unless you're a masochist.

>I-it's a small sample size guys! Drugs are bad!
>ignoring low p values

Go back to whatever board you crossed over from.

Can't agree more with you on this. I suffered through depression as well. All it took was an evaluation about it from another perspective

>12 people

youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

Seriously? I with mods would ban popsci topics.

>fall asleep
>on mushrooms

pick one

>coming up with excuses to deny valid claims because MUH DRUGS

ITT:
Medical Establishment and Government are against hallucinogen due to CONSPIRACY!

>Back to /x/ & /pol/

This isn't a Veeky Forums post.
There is no science nor math OPs post.
>No, medical science isn't really science

>Medical Establishment and Government are against hallucinogen due to CONSPIRACY!
literally not one person has mentioned a conspiracy in this thread

>No, medical science isn't really science
oh, I see, you're just a troll
almost had me

I've been meditating(5-6 a week for the past year) and doing yoga on and off for the past 2 years and haven't had hardly any instances I could compare to psychedelics, care to elaborate?

I read the first half of the thread and then just had to throw my .02 in here.

A bad trip can be truly fucking horrific. There can be a complete disconnect where you think the drug is no longer affecting you but actually your entire reality has changed.

I have taken quite large doses of psychedelics.
(10 doses of microdot, roughly 10g dried cubensis, 5 gram cubensis after 5 gram syrian rue, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam)

Bad trips can be truly horrific and leave lasting scars. Luckily all my functionality is intact (I work in an intellectually demanding field and do just fine), but there are places your mind can go that would be better if they didn't.

Obviously, I cannot regret my choices and if anything in the very long term they can make one stronger, but really I wouldn't wish my bad trips on my worst enemy.

Most of my trips were fun beyond measure but the bad ones were too much and I've been sober from absolutely everything besides caffeine and nicotine (in patches and gum) for about two years now.

Me again. To be fair, even the bad places one can go are really just areas of thinking that need to be confronted anyway, but it doesn't have to be so forceful.

I can truly say that I have been places on my own power (exercise, breathing, really really really focused attention ((which is really all I think tripping is, to begin with, in a way))etc. etc.) in the past two years where I have been just as "in the zone" as during my trips.

does anyone have that European site where you can order psylocibe spores for home growing

I've managed to sleep on acid (though I did it to intentionally end the trip), I was tired before hand. Tryptamines simply make it so you don't feel tired- they don't make it impossible to sleep.

I don't give a shit about drugs, but all these pseudoscience studies are complete horseshit. You can't do real science with only 12 participants. It will literally never get repeated and will never have the same results if it was repeated.