Victorinox knives

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could advise me about pic related. I'm choosing between the two as Victorinox is apparently very good for a first time knife owner, and good value for money.
Price point is about $10 difference, so basically the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Cutlery/Kitchen-Knives/Carving-Knife-12-cm/p/5.2000.12
amazon.com/Victorinox-4-Inch-Paring-Rosewood-Handle/dp/B0019WZJQ8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473561838&sr=8-5&keywords=victorinox paring
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Top one

Guess I should say why. Top one is a chef's knife, bottom is a carving knife

depends on whether you like a rocking motion or not.

Victorinox's website says they are both carving.

I'm quite noob but from what I remember from hospitality at school, I liked the rocking motion.

then the top one

Top is a standard chefs knife. Get that and learn to use it well

The only other knife you really need is a paring knife and victorinox makes a nice one as well.

Also consider going with the Fibrox handles instead if you plan on beating on them. Much more durable, but if you're just preparing a few meals a week then the wood handles are much nicer looking and should hold up great.

>and should hold up great.
If you don't put them in the dishwasher. Don't ever put any knife in the dishwasher, but it really kills wood handles fast.

what style is better for all around utility: western or Japanese?

Western. The japanese are too busy folding their steel over 9000 times to actually find out if the knife works or not

>Paring knife

This one right?

victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Cutlery/Kitchen-Knives/Carving-Knife-12-cm/p/5.2000.12

What the fuck is up with their website. You don't want a 5 inch paring knife. You want like a 3 inch blade

Do victorinox make 3" paring knives? Any other recommendations?

Of course. Just shop somewhere else, that website is shit.

Here's a rosewood paring:
amazon.com/Victorinox-4-Inch-Paring-Rosewood-Handle/dp/B0019WZJQ8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473561838&sr=8-5&keywords=victorinox paring

>Any other recommendations?

10 dollar ceramic one from the store. buy another 10 dollar ceramic one when that one gets dull.

you are making this too hard, and despite what everyone here says i almost never use paring knives, and use chef's/santoku/utility knives constantly.

Sometimes it's nice to have nice things, user

tfw no Australian retailers have rosewood.
Poly handle is fine right?
They're like $7. I could buy a straight edge and serrated one.

Yea, the Fibrox handle is very good. The only thing serrated you should get is a bread knife

OP here again.
Will I be fine for 99% of kitchen tasks with just a chef knife and a 3-4" paring knife? Or is it worth also getting a 6" utility knife as well?

Get those two to start and you'll figure out for yourself if you need something in between

Do you think Fibrox or rosewood would be better for the chef knife?

listen to what i said here you need two big knives not one

>two big knives not one
Two chef knives?

Do you prefer function or form? The fibrox has a textured grip, but the rosewood is prettier