Beef Stew

Making some beef stew tomorrow night.

Stock is currently on the stove and will reduce over night. Have 4 beef bones, celery, carrots, leek, yellow onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme and bay in there. Filled it up to about 20 quarts, hoping to reduce it to about 3-5 by morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to dry rub and slow roast a 2lb London broil to build a crust, then cube it and put it in a dutch oven. Then I'll add the stock I'm making tonight, some tomato paste, pearl onions, red bell, carrot, celery mushroom, and season it with rosemary, thyme, fresh oregano, cayenne, black pepper and salt. Slow cook in the dutch oven until everything comes together

Pretty standard I guess. Any suggestions for taking it to the next level?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/beef-and-butternut-squash-stew-recipe.html
redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4340086_FireCookingFactSheet.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

half a bottle of good wine. if you don't drink it, it's not worth putting in your stew

also ditch the red bell peppers. they don't belong in there.

do chef john's irish stew. All this other horseshit is just a make work project.

Add some good fish sauce instead of salt, and or worchestershire

>Tomorrow I'm going to dry rub and slow roast a 2lb London broil to build a crust, then cube it and put it in a dutch oven.
2lbs will cook down a good deal. Might want to double that for 3-5qts of stock (or use only half of the stock). Ehh, just cube it first, dredge in seasoned flour, and brown the cubes on all sides. Brown the mushrooms, then tomato paste, and then add to your stock or wine, with your other favorites and simmer low until all is tender, or move to a crock pot since your stock is so nicely reduced already.

Take it light on the rosemary, and adjust at the end. It can overpower the other herbs which cook down more than it does. Everything else looks fine to me, but I really like a little marjoram with my bay and thyme type of stews. I see little reason for cayenne in this dish, but whole peppercorns might make you happy (if you remember to fish them out). Who the hell said to leave out red bell pepper? Silliness. It is lovely in beef stew.

>fish sauce
the next meme ingredient

>fish sauce instead of salt
are you guitarded user?

glad to hear youre not putting potatoes in it. nothing annoys me more than putting starches in beef stew. a roll on the side for dipping is much better than filler ingredients. potatoes never take on much of the stew's flavor, they just stay rather bland.

opinions of squash in beef stew?

Yes.... Why?

Hey OP, the way I make beef stew is way different from you but here's what I usually do for something to compare to:

S&P stew meat, let sit for a bit and coat in flour. Brown stew meat in olive oil with garlic and onion, then transfer to slow cooker. Cube a bunch of WAXY potatoes not russet after skinning (red or gold) then throw in cooker. "Deglaze" pan/skillet/whatever with red wine or a tallboy of stout and throw that in cooker. Set on low and cover with beef broth. S&P to taste and throw in either some diced tomatoes or tomato paste.

About 2 hours from done throw in your carrots, and about 30 minutes from done throw in your peas (I don't mushy carrots or wrinkled peas).

I thicken with a dark roux sometimes if I fuckup real bad and its watery, but usually the 8-10 hours of slow cooking and the flour on the beef make it just right.

>>fish sauce instead of salt
>are you guitarded user?
Nope.
you only put like a tablespoon in, it won't taste fishy at all but will reinforce the beefiness

worshchestershire sauce IS fish sauce. and you should still salt it, but only after the stew is done (aside from the salt you put on the meat when searing it)

beef & butternut squash stew is pretty fucking great

foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/beef-and-butternut-squash-stew-recipe.html

sure, but then it wouldn't be beef fucking stew anymore. same reason you don't put red peppers in there. sweet things don't belong in beef fucking stew

>worshchestershire sauce IS fish sauce
No it isn't
The real deal has anchovies but it's not fish sauce
You always check for seasoning at the end of a dish, but real fish sauce is super salty on its own

>you only put like a tablespoon in

yeah i fell for this hilarious fucking joke
"only a tablespoon" of fish sauce. which is enough to literally make your entire fucking house smell like unwashed pussy

most disgusting shit ive ever smelled in my life threw away the fucking bottle immediately. chinks can go burn with that shit.

>everything with fish in it is the same
Go back to your mama's tendies, burgerboy

>chinks can go burn with that shit.
Romans also put fermented fish sauce in everything, and they made the foundations of our civilization.

it probably didn't smell like stank ass pussy. how can anyone fucking eat after experiencing that smell? how can anyone eat something with that smell COMING FROM IT?

I was going to say add 1/2 cup, but that was too obvious lol

I read that the Romans "put that shit on everything"
their fish sauce was called garum, and was a big deal to them like wine, with small craft type garum bringing premium prices
Also that historians theorized that they liked/could handle it because their plumbing, which they invented, was made from lead pipes so they all basically had some level of lead poisoning and one of the side effects of that is it kills your taste buds

>but then it wouldn't be beef fucking stew anymore

you just might be legally retarded

A cup of merlot to deglaze the pot, and adding a shot of cognac while reducing is amazing.

>Stock is currently on the stove and will reduce over night.
Do you guys really leave the stove on unattended for a long period of time?

se ve asqueroso saludos desde peru lima

> no red wine
Lol bin that shit

I do all the time, especially when making stocks. The stove doesnt need to be hotter than medium-low if you're going to simmer it overnight.

>putting merlot in beef stew
>nothing but an oak taste throughout the entire dish

Merlot doesnt belong in beef stew. You create a monotonous flavor profile by adding such a strong oak tasting whine. All other subtle flavors of the dish vanish and you're left with beef and wine soup.

>>Stock is currently on the stove and will reduce over night.
>Do you guys really leave the stove on unattended for a long period of time?
>I do all the time, especially when making stocks. The stove doesnt need to be hotter than medium-low if you're going to simmer it overnight.
Yikes, hope your bedroom has a great fire exit and you don't care about any of your shit. I also hope you don't own a cat that would enter your kitchen.

I don't leave my kitchen or line of sight to my kitchen when a burner is on. If the oven is baking, I might leave the kitchen, but I don't leave the house, nor would I sleep. This is why crock pots were invented, so you could be safe.

redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4340086_FireCookingFactSheet.pdf

A full stock pot weighs quite a bit. A lot of force would need to be generated to knock it over. Also, my stove top is electric, not gas. There's really nothing that would catch on fire even if for some outlandish reason the top did get knocked over.

>implying a knocked over pot is the reason a kitchen fire would start on an electric stove

add some decent red wine when you put it in the dutch oven.

as a flavoring? sure, as a vegie, well you're gonna be severely disappointied if you expect it to retain any kind of texture other than becoming suitable for blending

sounds ok, not really a fan of slow cookers though, high usually isn't high enough and low is usually too high

Why do people insist on putting wine in stew?

Not to be that guy, but it sounds like a meme.

it adds a nice flavor if you like the taste of wine, it goes well with beef, it doesn't have to be a super expensive wine, just use the rule if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it

because it adds depth and body (complexity) to the stew, you fucking manlet pleb.

Because it tastes fucking great, that's why.

show me any classic french beef stew (bourguignon) with fucking squash in it. there's a fucking reason you won't find any. here's a hint you wind up with squash soup with beef bits in it, NOT beef stew. you fucking moron.

what would you change besides not using a slow cooker?

use pretty much any cut of meat but something labled stew meat. stew meat is just marketing to sell otherwise unsellable trimmings and shit. make my own stock, it's not that labor intensive, and is even easier if throughout the week as you cook, you save all your carrot/onion/celery scraps in a container to just dump in the pot along with the beef bones and garlic etc..aside from salt and pepper for the meat, also use a seasoned flour, and also I would add corn. canned is ok, but cut right off the cob is better tasting

Just letting it reduce now to thicken up. Beef stock turned out really well, probably one of my better tasting stews to date.

And we have stew.

Nice vegetable soup

Thicker than it looks, all the meat was buried. Had brought a 2lb london for this stew and may have done better with 3. Taste was pretty out of this world though. Really concentrated the stock and it made a world of difference.

looks tasty af dude

Looks good, but skimming some of the fat makes it less greasy and healthier

You didnt skim of the fat when simmering did you?
First rookie mistake. And I dont see the beef. just a lot of veggie.
nice soup.

people who skim the fat are fucking cunts, the fat is delicious

I'm a fan of beers in my stew, what type depends on your preference.

say that again when you eat the stew the next day (which is what you SHOULD do since it's better the next day) and you have disgusting congealed globs of grease lining the top of your otherwise delicious stew

mite leave mine on alone for 3 hours tops when making stock personally
could leave even longer but it's mostly issue of the liquid level reducing too much if I leave it alone longer

Good red wine to replace some of the stock, flambe the mushrooms in cognac before adding to the stew, ditch bell pepper and oregano as they would add weird notes I think. Finish stew with a few tablespoons of demiglace.

Yours still looks great but those are the changes I'd make personally.

>Do you guys really leave the stove on unattended for a long period of time?

Depending on what I'm doing, sure. If it's something with high heat? Absolutely not. I don't even look at my phone or leave the kitchen while doing that. But if it's something that's going at a steady simmer for a long time? Of course.

I wouldn't leave the house or go to sleep. And I would check on it every once in a while.

Fuck man, are you making your stocks at a full boil?

>ditch bell pepper and oregano as they would add weird notes I think

this. salt pepper and thyme, a bayleaf and some fish sauce is the only seasoning you need for beef stew. i would even hesitate to put garlic. just mirepoix, potato, red wine, and chuck beef or other similar lean cut. a beef stew is meant to be simple.