Be me

>be me
>be yurofag (no student debts)
>live youth as uber-pleb (no further interest in science // whatsoever)
>time has come to chose major
>hmm... CompSci sounds nice
>do that (CompSci) without really thinking about anything, since it starts off relatively easy

One and a half year in:
>start talking to people
>everyone around me want to become programmer
>they just use different words for it (Software Engineer, Developer, etc.)
>i don't want to spend the rest of my life programming
>want to create something new
>discover Veeky Forums
>everyone says CS is meme and just offers boring jobs

Did i fuck up, Veeky Forums? And if yes, how do i unfuck my situation?

>>want to create something new
Such as? What's stopping you?

ciphers, encryption algorithms, machine learning, algorithmic models of real life problems

The problems that i doubt i have gotten a proper math education in my major.

just keep going
learn some math
and keep going

Yea! Don't stop belivin

>less than two years in
>"oh man, I'm so deep into this"

Just retake the entry exams you faggot.

Also unmotivated fucks like you should be left to fend for themselves. I'm 99% sure that right now mommy feeds your fat ass.
Stupid spoiled brats are always unmotivated. Maybe you should suck a dick and die.

>CS is a meme

How much of a meme is it actually? It can't be that bad. Or is it a double meme?

>Or is it a double meme?

It is actually a double meme.

It was granted meme status when corporations tired of hiring PhD mathematicians and pay them literally 200k to code monkey shit like excel started pushing for the creation and popularization of a degree that just teaches the relevant code monkey skills, so that they can be paid 50k and that way the company banks 150k.

That was in the 70s.

Then it was granted double meme status in the 2000s by feminists who turned it into a "female" meme by saying that we absolutely need more women in STEM and once again pushing for more open spots at universities and companies, therefore contributing to the lowering of salaries and the crowding of the industry.

It is my personal opinion (therefore who gives a fuck) that people who major in CS have no personality at all, if they had then they would have studied something they were actually passionate about and then learning programming and algorithms on the side so that they could apply their CS skills in that field.

So you're saying studying CS is worthless since it won't get you anywhere and that you should just go for something else and learn basic programming on your own?

I'm a bit confused about the being meme/double meme is good/bad.

I'm not him, but yeah he pretty much says that.
I can tell you pretty much the same shit from my experience.
In my early life I was interested in electronics. Later as I learned about computers I got fascinated with them. At the end of high school I didn't know whether I should go with EE or CS because I was unsure about programming even though I taught myself programming at a very competent level. I also felt like it got a bit boring.

So I choose CSE (Europe) which is between CS and EE. I later realized i'm a lot more passionate about anything related to electricity (and related physics) and I regretted my decision to pursue CSE greatly.

The thing is programming today with a CS degree is basically app/web development mostly. I've been there and done that. It's almost like programming for the sake of programming when you don't know much about computers it's fun then when you do it's not fun anymore. Programming is only really interesting when you write a program to solve a problem (an ode solver, a circuit simulator, etc.). That's where real creativity is needed so you can express the problem (and you can think about the original problem which needs understanding in that field!!!) in a way that's fast and efficient to code and figure out interesting optimizations. This is where higher level math can come in handy and you can gain if you know programming related math. Programming is (usually) a tool.
The only useful stuff in a CS degree are those 3-5 courses in math. logic, complexity theory and formal languages.
Prog. and algorithms are at the teach yourself level and there are books. At maximum you can add algorithms and operating systems to the list of useful courses.

All the cool computer stuff is in EE with embedded systems and hardware design.
Plus most CS (not CSE/CE !) degrees have zero hardware courses. Some say that CS tries to be a math degree and I say CS tries to be a math degree with math that you can't use with your degree.

Sort of off-topic but, I'm planning on majoring in computer science currently, (with EE being a close second choice at this point), but my main pursuit after undergrad would be medical school. Should I stop being retarded and just switch to something different?

Every single day I leave like 5 Veeky Forums tabs open at the office and when I go back home I have to hunt for my posts and most of the time I don't find it all.

Finally I found this so I can answer you.

>So you're saying studying CS is worthless since it won't get you anywhere

Oh no. Believe me, CS will take you everywhere. I am just saying that you will not enjoy it in the long run.

said it best. Programming for the sake of programming is only fun when you are an amateur and you still believe that understanding a new librari or API, or even first understanding pointers is cool.

You eventually go past that, way past. And if by that time you are still making UIs look cute then you will suffer greatly from a midlife crisis.

>learn basic programming on your own?

Yeah, programming is not only entertaining but also gives free jobs. Programming + any degree equals a great job in that field.

>I'm a bit confused about the being meme/double meme is good/bad.

Being a meme degree is bad because a meme degree by definition is already full to its limit of degree holders and yet still being pushed by media as the go to degree.

Like 2 years ago there was a "Go study CS campaign" that claimed there were a million open jobs. This turned out to be a lie and reading counterarguments that cite decreasing salaries, increasing unemployment of CS degree holders, etc. was amazing.

I honestly can't answer that properly, because I don't know enough about medical school or your interests. Here's my try:
If your interests are broad enough and you are truly interested in CS/EE, plus if it won't give you a disadvantage in medical school then by all means go for it because both programming (computer models, 3D imaging) and EE (medical instruments) has a lot to do with medical stuff.
Did you mean instead of ?

I'm similar to OP in which I'm taking Computer Science too, but I plan on shifting towards a Cyber Security career. Is this still a good choice, cause my school doesn't offer a Cybersecurity major, but Comp sci is like problem solving and stuff.

lmao this nigga be so angry.

CE faggot here, why didn't you choose a real CE programme and not some CS(E) shit?

CS and EE is boring as fuck, it's way more fun to program robots and design hardware

>useful stuff in a CS degree
>formal languages
Please tell me what you learned from formal languages

You can learn things in CS which will give you skills most other programmers don't have. CS is so broad that without specifying what you actually can do it can be anything from coding quite advanced AI to designing web pages.

>EE boring as fuck
>way more fun to program robots and design hardware

What am I reading? Program robots and design hardware can be more EE than CE.

>What am I reading? Program robots and design hardware can be more EE than CE.
I dont consider calculating the resistance of particular materials as designing hardware

From my perspective calculating resistance of materials is more on the AP (applied physics) side of things.

>Cyber Security career
Literally a meme degree.
If your actually have a passion for securing systems and not just here to "become a hacker" major in network infrastructure (physical side) or enterprise application development (software side).
You need a deep understanding of how systems work before you can start learning to secure them.

Keep in mind that you're end goal is to pass the CISSP exam, a 250 question exam on everything from code to physical (alarm systems/cameras/exc) security. CISSP is basically the BAR for security professionals. Before you can even take it you have to prove you worked for 4 years in the field(you can work under people who have it, most look for networking or programming background), and be recommend by someone who has already passed it.

tl;dr Don't do it unless it's something you know you want to do.

Free education is a mistake. Unmotivated plebs like OP waste public resources dicking around with something they don't care about.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still deciding what should I focus on in life and I appreciate your feedback. It's nice to see civilized people on 4chin.

CSE in Europe (at least in my country) is what you would call CE. There is robot programming, signals and systems, electronics, etc. It's just that sometimes I doubt if the CS side has much use, because we also get a lot of useless classes from the "pure" CS fags, but I would say that it's a pretty balanced degree. It's just that my heart seems to be very much on the EE side these days, because I taught a lot of shit to myself in my free time regarding the CS aspect. That's the easiest to learn even without a proper plan. With electricity/electronics a certain order of studying is recommended for proper understanding.

>read post about someone who wants to know about creative jobs in cs
>...
>???
>...
>get super angry

First if you are really interested in you are just right in computer science. If you want to create encryption algorithms, just read an intro book on number theory. It's not like math is a secret club or something. If you develope a further interest in math, just get a math degree after graduating in cs.

I don't really see your problem OP.

>tfw doing cs
>it's because I have a hard time caring about anything and don't know what else to do

what do i even do Veeky Forums

i don't really like cs

but i don't really like anything anyway

I flunked out hardcore, then three years later I reapplied and now I'm doing a PhD. If I lived in burgerworld I could might as well have just killed myself, but here in yurop I got a second chance that I've utilized to the fullest.

Tfw at a point where I consider everything a meme.

There are the people who are really passionate about their fields. They self-teach, then work, then work even more until they die. They'll publish some books and join some conferences along their way, thats it. They usually suck at teaching, and detest it because it distracts them from working.

Then there are the people who once were pashionate, but decided to become comfy. Now they teach in order to still be relevant and because they dont want to waste their skills. They might be good teachers, but you will never learn anything you cant learn from books from them, because thats where they got their knowledge, in the end.

Pretty much. Then again finding a good white collar job without a degree today is pretty damn impossible, something that was different 20-30 years ago.

I find it kind of amusing that Veeky Forums believes there are no more topics to be discussed on Computer Science, and therefore its a meme. Now that the AI winter has settled, and every kid playing crysis has the computational abilities on his hands of a superpower back on the 70s, lots of new fields open themselves to us. Neural networks are being de-memed into a real topic, with actual uses outside of pattern recognition. Me, I'm into signal intelligence, suh as being able to infer the protocol that two communicating agents are using. I guess some people just want to work as accountants.