Risotto

Risotto

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C4fTD4EukUo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aka "the panty dropper"

Where can the average man buy the proper rice for risotto?

Von's my dude.

Googled it for you.

Aroborio, Carnaroli, Vialone, Nano, and Baldo (Arborio is the most commonly found short-grain rice)

You can find any of those varieties at most supermarkets, though I would avoid walmart.

wal-mart.

no, really. I got like 6x as much arborio as the faggot grocery store for same price. it's exactly the same.

There was a point in time where I was making risotto three times a week, and I finally perfected it. Now, it's become a guilty pleasure, only because I'm trying to drop a couple pounds. But damn, if it isn't one of my favorite dishes to make. There's something about culling the rice into perfection with a steaming hot pot of stock right next to your pan of rice. It has to be one of my all time favorite things to make. I've tried it a few different ways, but my favorite two are likely the more traditional finishing of mascarpone and parma, or a more italian risotto of sofrito finishing.

Fuck, I haven't made it in a while. I'm already fixed to make something tomorrow, but later on in the week I think I'm going to make some for dinner now.

>skip all that french bullshit
>just do it the chef john way
>comes out same or better

i perfected my shit too by finding the hot spot in my oven

youtube.com/watch?v=C4fTD4EukUo

>oven bake
>heavy cream

Oh god, why.. why the hell would he do this. I get he's some sort of home cook idol or some shit, but that's not risotto. Not one fucking bit.

That looks absolutely beautiful. Risotto is one of my favorite Italian dishes. I think it's amazing how this certain type of rice can become complex and creamy when cooked with stock. It's defining moment is always the texture of the rice at the end. Cooking rice or pasta "al dente," completely preserves the texture and sauce of a dish and that is something to keep in mind when cooking risotto.

it's better than any risotto i've ever ordered in a restaurant, which is prob 4-5 times.

pragmatism, user. it doesn't matter how something gets done if it gets done. the outcome is ridiculously good for the effort level involved.

tell me how to make risotto with the same ingredients (no heavy cream?) and I will try it and it will suck

>don't stir everything perfectly for 200 milliseconds
>dish is ruined

oh boy. my favorite.

fuuuuck that sounds amazing. actually kinda want to try making it. too lazy, though.

That's gay for rice, right?

One tip: never buy the bagged shit; if you have a store that has those dry goods sections where you can fill up a bag from barrels or something, chances are the rice (if available) is a buck or two cheaper there than on the shelf.

Next you'll tell me that carbonara is better with heavy cream.

>baked risottos
>anywhere near as good as properly cooked risotto
That's not true, and it will never become true despite how many wanna chef idols come up with this cool new trick to cook a risotto without the effort.

There's something wrong with his fucking voice so I couldn't go on with it but I can safely say he's wrong nonetheless. Fucking American view of life - 'oh I can try and take a shortcut here lol lifehack amirite guys?'. Get fucked.

Pragmatism =/= laziness you blithering fucktard, the recipe is atrocious and so are your culinary beliefs.

>live with italians
>they teach me how to make perfect risotto
>good risotto is firm on the plate but when you shake it it spreads out over the plate
>post pics on Veeky Forums
>your risotto is underdone user
>it's too watery
>someone posts photo of "proper" risotto that has been packed into a mould and looks dry as fuck

Dafuq is that oven risotto? How could you mess up that part, you just add water and stir up...most errors are done in the first part and that gay chef done plenty.
Also heavy cream will gain you a special place in hell. When almost ready you turn off the heat, add parmesan and butter and mix it. Then cover the pot and let it rest couple mins, mix again and wa la.
Consistence must be exactly as other user said, solid but that will distribute into the plate if you slightly tap it from below

Most retards have literally no idea what they're talking about when it comes to risotto. Honestly though, dry risotto is better than the people who think it should be a literal soup.
>risotto
>water
Stock, user.

Those are Ramsay-style scrambled eggs you moron

This, you have to take the time to stir the risotto, a good 20-30mins while stirring in the stock.

The agitation of the rice helps to release the starch into the sauce.

But user, that's haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard
I wanna put it in the oven and forget about it so I can go sit my fat ass down and watch TV instead of doing things

>french bullshit
>risotto
TRIGGERED

>he expected the tard crying the old "just put it in the oven" tripe to even know where risotto is from
Come now, user

weak bait.

What do you put in your risotto, Veeky Forums?

Personally
>some celery added in with the onion
>add some rosemary, little bit of thyme
>cook some chopped up cumberland sausages in with it before adding rice, removing and setting aside to be added at the end
>red wine instead of white

The red wine makes it look kinda awful but holy shit it's so good.

I was always intimidated by risotto, having never made or even eaten it. I eventually gave it a go recently - it was easy and delicious. Goat's cheese, peas, and mint, and lemon - glorious.

I'll probably make it more often now.
What can I do with leftover risotto, though, besides arancini? Does it reheat happily?

Yeah, everyone knows it's Scandinavian

why do americans have to ruin everything?

>overcooked watery rice
thats not okay

>On a cooking board
>doesn't know dick about cooking

wew

WHY DOES HE KEEP SAYING RISOTTO LIKE THAT

literally just to piss you off

Thats the authentic way to make it tho.

Yeah i meant that, sorry my english is bad

Dont be gay please you can move on /b/ if you are searching for traps and stuff