CHINKY'S

What do you order?

Me? I usually go for Salt + Chilli Chicken, Chips and some Spring Rolls.

The perfect size meal for the single man about town.

And you?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chinese_cuisine
goldchinamiami.com/content/pdf/chinesemenu-2014.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the 400lb man about town maybe

What did you mean by this?

I am around 170lbs and with a pretty good build.

Do you just hate the Chinky's? Are you racist? Only eat boring white-people food? Gay? Autistic?

Elaborate.

I don't like western Chinese food as much as I like the real deal, or Hong Kong/Taiwanese cafe food.

Luckily I live in Richmond BC where it's almost entirely chinese people.

My favourite is probably fried tofu, baked fillets on rice, and various dim sum (chinese donuts, steam buns, soup buns etc)

The people at my local Chinky's are all authentic Chinese and speak in an alien tongue, except for one short, fat, rude woman who knows about 20 words of English. Pretty certain they are selling the real deal.

Haha, no. Much like they're running most Japanese restaurants, they also run all the western Chiense food places. It's not what they eat in China oor at home, but it's inspired by it, sort of.

How do you Chinese a chip? They're fantastic.

Incorrect.

I'm not sure how they get them so amazing but guess they fry them in the same oil as tempura/prawn toast/spring rolls etc. which imparts a delicious secret Chinese flavour.

No, you're wrong as fuck, stop being sour. Just because you've never had real chinese food doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ever see Chinese people eat there if they're not copping a free meal as family? Rarely if ever, I guarantee it family.

Yes, Chinese people order from there all the time.

I'm sorry whatever backwater hovel you hail from only has shit places and your limited travelling has left you with the idea that everywhere is the same.

When you're old enough you should really try and see more of the world and experience different places and cultures.

...What? You're the one thinking deep fried spring rolls and chili chicken with...chips? fries?... are real chinese food dishes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chinese_cuisine

"...known in the United States as simply Chinese food"

I see why you're confused, American. You poor soul.

Yes: The people making it are chinese and probably don't speak english. Protip: It's more profitable in your area to sell this Western (American) Chinese food, because your palate is fucking retarded.

Have you tried Italian Chinese food? I might be biased here because I am from Italy and Chinese restaurants change their recipes to cater to local tastes, but having had Chinese food in over a half dozen other countries, I've liked none as much as I have Italian Chinese.

what city do you live in, user? I could recommend good, real chinese restaurants for most of big cities, so you can see by yourself

I'm not American.

It's still the same style of American Chinese food, whether you live in the states, Canada, Australia/NZ, or Europe. It exists everywhere, but the first place Chinese people went to (and had to change their cuisine to sell to the locals) was America. It's cheap as shit to make because they spend fuck all on specialty spices and vegetables like they do at home, and they just make similar dishes with no complexity of flavor. Plebs love it, such as yourself, haha. I understand your confusion because you're not American, but you're about as smart as one. (a lot of things in your life are Americanized, remember that)

You're a giant retard and probably a faggot toofam, one of the ways you tell if a Chinese restaurant is actually good or not is if you see a lot of Asian people in there. Take your pretense and shove it up your ass.

Why are you so jealous of my authentic Chinky takeaway?

You're the bigger retard. If there's no real Chinese food in the area (which there usually isn't, they're generally only in highly dense Asian populations) then Chinese people will obviously eat there. Notice that they order different food from you, they know what's good and what's horrible for you and will give you diarrhea (the stupid shit you get, seriously who serves chips with Chinese food?!)

We are laughing at you in this thread. Like the other user said, want some help locating a real Chinese food restaurant? Or are you gonna keep eating that other crippity crap?

t. know-nothing virgin

I won the argument. He called me a virgin and used an irrelevant Finnish bullshit signature in his post. I can finally leave Veeky Forums knowing this cuck will probably hate me for a week and then go find some real Chinese food. Good on you, OP.

Enjoy your trip to China.

The only place to get REAL Chinese food, according to you.

Bong here. Am I allowed to enjoy the food in the area between Leicester Square and Soho, which we call Chinatown? Please share your wisdom, oh great wise traveler.

No, you can find plenty of places. Maybe 40% of the places in China town are authentic style. Lots of cities with a culinary focus attract them too, but generally, it's a lot harder to find an authentic Chinese restaurant than, say, a Vietnamese restaurant (which are almost entirely family businesses and authentic). Harder yet to find authentic Japanese food, most of it's Korean or Chinese owned. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find some one day. Stay away from anywhere called "Dragon River" or stupid shit like that. Look for places with no English name, or a name that makes no sense like "The One Cafe" or "Golden Paramount"

Better yet find a hotpot (dinner and late night) or dim sum (lunch only) place, those are good places to get introduced to various real Chinese dishes that you won't be used to.

Incorrect.

refer to You gotta weed the places out. Americanized chinese food looks like this:

>spring rolls
>chop suey
>orange chicken
>chow mein
and will come with fortune cookies.

Real chinese food looks like this:
>fried squid w/ pepper
>marinated tofu w/ 3 kinds mushroom (yes worded like this)
>chinese donut w/ meat floss
>BBQ pork/pig/duck on rice (if pork and pig are for some reason separate, you can be sure it's the real deal)
Basically any meal with a brief description or something that doesn't sound appetizing. The actual dish will be far more complex and delicious.

Oh man you really told me. Welp, I guess your spring rolls and fries are more akin to what Chinese people eat at home. How could I have been so wrong?

"Incorrect."
You really need to take that stick out of your ass

>Everything revolves around America.
Americans actually believe this.

Most Chinkys in Britain originated from Hong Kong, which was a British colony, nothing to do with America. The British adapted to Chinese food not vis versa.

The same with Indian cuisine in Britain, what we wanted to change we invented new variations instead but the core Indian food still exists.

In America, the reverse happened, Asian and Oriental cuisine changed to suit the American palette.

What a sheltered world you must live in.

Get out their and see the world, kid.

>chow mein
They think Americans inveneted Chow Mein.

Listen kid, your version of Chow Mein is different to the Chinese version and what others eat. see

>if pork and pig are separate, you know it's the real deal.

What a stupid cunt you are.

There's no point trying to explain this. I doubt the kid leaves his moms basement.

It certainly seems that way.

I'm not American, and you guys are the sheltered ones if you disagree with me on this very simple concept. Has no one here had real Chinese food? Seriously? Talk to someone who's Chinese and they'll tell you.

How is "Dragon River" any less nonsensical than "Golden Paramount"?

I've been to China and I eat in Flushing and NYC Chinatown regularly, at both traditional places and more edgy/experimental joints. There is very little correlation between the name of a place, and how "authentic" it is.

I most certainly am not sheltered and if these are your posts:
Then you have made made some pretty outrageous statements which are simply untrue.

Maybe it's different for Cantos and Mandarin-speakers but chao/chow mian/mein in Fuzhou means 'stir-fried noodles.'
How did Americans invent it if Fuzhou have been cooking and eating it for centuries before any Chinese even heard of America?

>How did Americans invent it
This is my point seems to think Americans invented it.

I know! I was agreeing with you, showing how silly it is for anyone to think chow mein is American. It's just not.

There is one thing that I find strange, though. I went to a American Chinese place with white friends once and wanted some chow mein and ordered it. They brought out capcay/chop suey with way too much sauce. And some deep-fried noodles.
Was good, but not at all what I was expecting.

What is your favourite rice dish

>BBQ pork on rice
>BBQ Pig on rice

Choose wisely.

Rightly, one is called BBQ pork on rice and the other is roast pig on rice.
One is red. The other comes with crispy pork rinds.

>bbq pork, plz

lived in china most of my life. chinese food outside of china is just a big joke

of course sometimes you can find real restaurants, but never ever as a fast food chain

I'm also posting my kitchen from the wok talk yesterday

>best friend is white american gun nut from redneckland
>his wife is from zhuhai
>i'm from singapore
>she wants to take us all out to zomg most authentic cantonese food in the city ever!!!!
>we go
>tastes exactly the same as every other canto restaurant i've been to with majority canto people eating
I've started to think that to Chinese-Chinese people, the most authentic Chinese food outside of Chinaland is whatever you're not eating.

I was a little disappointed in the authentic cantonese restaurants I tried in China

They were basically like the cantonese restaurants we have here in the US

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't that

>I know! I was agreeing with you
I wasn't sure at the time but I can see it now.

This is all very well mate but you must agree that something that is home-cooked is never the same as something from a restaurant.
Chinky Restaurant A will have different BBQ ribs than Chinky Restaurant B . . . .that is not to say they have 'adapted' themselves to local taste but simply they do things differently.

I am a Britbong and as such, my culinary tastes are quite varied, I have travelled extensively throughout Europe, from the Med to the Baltics and a couple of trips to the States but if I am honest, I never sampled Oriental stuff in any of these countries . .. . I stuck to the local shit.

I just found it annoying that Americans have a very narrow world view and think most culinary cuisine revolves around them.

Cantonese people are kind, but they're kinda ugly and can't cook. Sichuan food is where it's all at.

>>tastes exactly the same as every other canto restaurant i've been to with majority canto people eating
>I've started to think that to Chinese-Chinese people, the most authentic Chinese food outside of Chinaland is whatever you're not eating.
To be fair, if the restaurant is owned by actual chinese immigrant descent families, there is a "secret" or simply not advertised special traditional menu where things that might offend and scare off americans are kept a bit low profile. Black bean sauce is not well loved, nor are frog legs, or crab simmered in the broken shells, or basic salt and pepper coated wings or shrimp. Fish maws soup. Hard chewy meatballs stuffed with fermented meat and pickled vegetables. Stuff that is slimy like preserved mustard greens, ugly with a head on, contains a lot of little bones, or maybe too rare or special to get served and then sent back in horror just isn't on the main menu unless the clientele is ready for it. When a lot of local chinese eat there, you can be sure there's some other menu they're ordering off of.....for example:
goldchinamiami.com/content/pdf/chinesemenu-2014.pdf

At any ethnic restaurant, don't be afraid to ask for something you are used to and love, and if it's available, whether a typical condiment like indian mustard pickles or some kind of item you know the kitchen staff would make for themselves during their own meals. It's also a good way to get a nice rapport with the owners of a place you frequent. You'll get a surprise lychee sorbet or something cool they made that day just when they recognize you come in and know you'll appreciate it.

>Europeans
>Chinese food thread
Flyover range ban when?

kek
We got two different frog dishes for the table, salt and pepper frog and frog casserole. We also got pea tips in oyster sauce and braised aubergine/eggplant with prawns/shrimp. She and I shared an order of claws (her husband was thoroughly disgusted by it) and the most bland tofu with ginger and honey I'd ever had. I know it's not typical to be super flavourful, but the ginger honey syrup was considerably thinner than I'm used to. I know it's not meant to be thick, but nor is it meant to be as water.
He got himself a spring roll, lol.

Still, the food I had were all exactly the same as all the other Canto places I'd been to. Good food, mind you, but I don't see how this is any more authentic than any other place where the diners are mostly Cantonese.

I think you can run into different types of Chinese places--no different than French, really.

Most places will serve their variation of a given dish. But some will stick to the old-school recipes. China has a government standardized teaching system for Chefs which apparently is supposed to follow specific classic recipes, documented the same way that Escoffier set the standard for classic French.

Just ordered salt and pepper chicken and egg fried rice. Can't wait lads.

English Chinese food ain't got shit on American Chinese food

Fucking this. Canto food is massively overrated. Hell, authentic Chinese food is overrated. I'll take Malaysian/Indonesian, Viet, Thai, Korean, and Japanese over any authentic style of Chinese food, barring Chinese BBQ and the occasional Sichuan.