Astro/exo/xenobiology

If life developed on Europa, what do you suppose it would look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CP_1MgyPtB8
www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/nasa1.html
arstechnica.com/science/2016/05/house-budget-provides-260-million-for-two-life-tracking-europa-missions/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uakLB7Eni2E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*in

Sorry, my mistake.

Probably similar to the stuff we find around underwater volcanic vents, but with small differences in the DNA/RNA/TNA(?) structure and what not.

I don't think chemistry allows for weird stuff like Silicon-based lifeforms very readily, even if they are cool.

Bump

>with small differences in the DNA/RNA/TNA(?) structure
>differences in the DNA
ayyy lmao

I mean, they can be different from Earth life, but why would they be Much different, if they evolve in just slightly different envioronment?

That is a pretty huge "if". Europa might be rich in dissolved minerals that are toxic to DNA and variants.

Earth went through the oxygen catastrophe while Europa might not. Life, if it exists there, has likely very little energy available since it depends on fresh minerals being dissolved into the sub surface ocean with no possibility of photosynthesis for closing the cycle. That means life there will drown in its own waste in a way that is in principle the same as the oxygen catastrophe on Earth though without actually producing oxygen waste.

I disagree it's a big if. I think 100% that there is life under there even if its just bacteria.

There's a cave on earth where we thought there could be no life but they found a strain of bacteria that was feeding off chemicals seeping through the rocks and gaining energy from it. Life always finds a way.

>big if.
The big if was "if they evolve in just slightly different envioronment". Io is enormously sulfuric and Europa might be similar.

It is a big fucking if
All the life we know about is essentially the same
If we discovered life that didnt use a genetics like DNA it would forever change everything

you could see something similar to tube worms

Tube worms live in that environment here on earth, deep under water near geothermal vents

so either that or maybe some mold or algae,

I bet anything there are at least single cell organisms living on Europa and maybe multi cellular life is harder to come by because it took billions of years to develop on earth

either way finding life there would mean that the universe is definitely full of life

>finding life there would mean that the universe is definitely full of life

You were making a passable attempt at knowledge until this statement

2/10

It would, having at least 2 locations of life in our tiny tiny slice of the universe would mean that the conditions for life are likely to come up billions and billions of times in the galaxy

virgin detected

There is no logical pathway from 2 instances of life that happen to be in the same star system to billions and billions of times in the galaxy

All we can say is that life is just "likely"

Veeky Forums, where guys who's parents bought them a status badge come to feel good about themselves by stopping the socially literate with razor sharp conversation killing pedantry.

I hate these alien skeptics constantly feigning ignorance unless there's a saucer staring them in the face. You damn well know that life elsewhere in the solar system will BTFO any claim that life is rare.

Well its still a big "if" until they do find it whether you agree or not. Then and only then will the chance be 100%.

>tube worms
We need to think bigger and stranger.

Bump

Life on Europa is on the Platonic scale.

even tho large on Europa in our view it would be on that scale.

Most life forms would gain sustenance from surface&subsurface acidic plants using the radiation energy to achieve photosynthesis

One of the most dominant predators in the deep, would be the Shrimp horse.

Looking like a mixture of a shrimp and a seahorse.

most life forms would also be elongate in a linear sense. as such most would have long tentacles

Such as this lovely little thing?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CP_1MgyPtB8

Yes like that

Life forms in Europa might also have a much higher regenerative cellular structure, and a wide range of biochemical defense and attack methods

This is literally the most interesting potential scientific discovery in the next decades... Please aliens be real on Europa.

its like every fucking moon or plutoid past the belt all have subsurface oceans now

What about methane seas?

>Life always finds a way.

they think titan also has a liquid water ocean under there as well

Double bonus, I guess.

It will probably be wet

>straightforward chemistry of common elements and compounds can only lead to life in one location
>in the whole universe

People actually believe this.

Those fags will just pretend it was a mistake, just like they pretend that this was:

www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/nasa1.html

Why haven't we gone to Europa yet?

We are.

Not a lander though, just a flyby.

From what I've heard, congress is funding the mission, but only if they make a lander as well.

What happens if we do?

arstechnica.com/science/2016/05/house-budget-provides-260-million-for-two-life-tracking-europa-missions/

The good news is that congress is giving NASA more money to do this, the bad news is that the time frame to do this is pretty far and that congress could change their mind and cancel it.

nah man it's like reverse psychology, they WANT us to land there.

Hopefully they don't cancel.

Before or after the second sun is created?

Bump

Could this work?

Or these?

Confirmed for newest pokemon

Man-eating monsters living under the ice. like in the movie Europa Report

That was a good fucking movie.

Sir, your opinion offends me.
It would be a firm pointer for us to double our estimates.

Perhaps even up to octuple if there's life on the more inhospitable planets, like Venus or Jupiter (techincally above, but still).
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uakLB7Eni2E

Yeah, good movie. More proof that wherever we go in the universe, something will want to kill us.

What about if it were non physical life,could I not color it with my own subjective reality?

Energy-based, thought-based, or are we talking spiritual?

An energy based thought form.

So basically a planet inhabited by tulpas?

Well yes,or could rename,CLANGERS.

You mean the weird pink things? I think they'd be a little more comfortable on Ceres, a planetoid in the asteroid belt.

Looks like a reworked Sharpedo

Bump

Bumpity

I'll remote view,and make sure the environment is suitable, for them,thanks for the tip.

Probably a lot like OP.

I read that europa has incredibly high radiation so based on my very limited biology knowledge I'd assume they would not use DNA or any other type of protein that would get fucked by radiation

Any life is under the ice and well shielded

Bumpity

kill yourself

Never

like u?

Sick burn