>It's actually analytic

>virtual photons are the mediators of electricity and magnetism

fixed it for ya user

>linear algebra
>its not y=mx+b

All photons are virtual.

>what is e-e+ -> 2gamma
Photons can be external you stupid asshole

Haha cocksucker. You taught me something.

I don't fucking get polarisation, like what the FUCK how am I supposed to understand it?

Can somebody explain it to me.

Electromagnetic waves, a component travels at 90* to the other like wtf it gets polarised? BUT THEN WHAT HAPPENS? THE OTHER COMPONENT DOESNT GET THROUGH OR WHAT? ITS ALWAYS PERPENDICULAR TO THE DIRECTION OF WAVE TRAVEL

WHAT THE FUCK?

>neither electric or magnetic

Why do mods allow this shit meme to be posted?

>Electromagnetic waves, a component travels at 90* to the other like wtf it gets polarised?

the wave gets polarized.
have you tried wrapping your head around the difference between linear and circular polarization?
how about EM wave travel under bounded conditions such as a waveguide where under certain conditions the electric field component can disapear or the magnetic or both but the energy is still there and moving.
or the way the wave morphs between "near field" and "far field" forms.
or just exactly why a wave radiates or is absorbed to begin with

or my personal favorite
causing EM wave amplification with a phenomena known as "velocity modulation"

Because MODS jack off to frogshit pics

I never understood it when my prof explained it. But once I thought about it myself it made sense.

It's the result of 2 light waves. Look at just one component (e.g. the electric one). In a single light wave, the field is oscillating in a classical sine wave. Now there is a second light wave perpendicular to it with a different phase. If you add both together, the resulting light wave will rotate around the axis

>Can somebody explain it to me.
i think polarization of EM waves is easiest to understand when radio waves are used to help visualize it. Forget for a moment the orthogonal relationship between the electric field and the magnetic and just think of one field at a time, the electric and...
Lets suppose you and I wish to communicate via radio. We pick our frequency at 10m wavelength and set up our antenae but wait a moment, do we want antenna that stand up like a flag pole (vertical) or reach side to side like a clothesline? Intuition tells us that we'd probably better use the same type and intuition is right because the waves are polarized and the sending and receiving antenna polarization needs to match for best performance. Now imagine that there is a very tall conductive metal picket fence between you and I. It is 1000m high and the gaps between panels is 1m. Intuition tells us that our waves from the flagpole like vertical antenna will pass thru the gaps while the waves from a clothesline like horizontal antenna won't and again intuition is correct. If the wavelength is too long to fit thru the gap most of it won't go. The tall skinny gaps in the metal picket fence will easily let our vertical waves thru but in order for them to get thru with horizontal polarization they'd have to be less than 1m and ours aren't, so the horizontal polarization is '''filtered''' out by this physical obstruction.

I hope that helped

>tfw starting grad school in January for a MSEE in electromagnetics/ antenna theory
>tfw you niggers are scaring me
>tfw im so excited to be in a constant state of confusion for 2 years

underrated post

You've got the fence part backwards; it would absorb/reflect radio waves with the electric field in the same direction as the metal pieces.

They are both electric and magnetic, you can measure either with the proper equipment.

A typical AM radio samples the magnetic portion of the em wave. Most antennas for higher frequency's sample the electric portion.

Rekt

for those who dont get this meme.

Report frogposters.