Can he actually cook or is he just a tv "chef"?

Can he actually cook or is he just a tv "chef"?

I've honestly never seen him cook a single thing without the footage being heavily edited.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2lx4oy
seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/fried-fish-sandwiches-with-creamy-slaw-and-tartar-sauce-recipe.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dailymotion.com/video/x2lx4oy

you see him actually do stuff about two and a half minutes into this

>falling for the bait

Ramsey is a legit and very decorated. One of the most prolific chefs ever, for a good reason.

What about Jamie Oliver or chef John?

3 Michelin stars, what do you think?

Not OP but it's true that he isn't shown onscreen for more than 3 seconds without a camera break. Is it because he trembles and waves his hands too much? He looks like he's under cocaine all the time.

Yes he started as a cook at very reputable restaurants and gained Michelin stars. Then he moved on to be a TV chef.

I personally doubt that these guys are inherently very great cooks or something. Like, sure, maybe they beat some cooks with similar amounts of experience (since at least ramsay and Chef john are actual chefs [citation needed]), but in the serious cooking scene (if such a thing exists), they're probably nobody special.
These people are known in normie circles because of their entertainment skills, making good food easy for non-pros, make it look attractive etc.

Come on. I get if you don't like the guy but you don't get 16 Michelin stars if you can't cook.

>doubt that these guys are inherently very great cooks
>probably nobody special
>3 Michelin stars

>knowing that
well then apparently he can cook.

why did you even reply if you knew nothing about him?

Welcome to the internet, user. 95% of the opinions you see stated are from people with limited understanding of the topic at hand.

thanks for the warm welcome, but i really just wanted to call user out for replying on thinks he has no fucking idea about so maybe next time he will just shut the fuck up

tfw i work for a 3 star chef
tfw she yells at me all day

>I personally doubt that these guys are inherently very great cooks or something

what does it mean to be an 'inherently very great' cook?

getting michelin stars is about providing an extremely enjoyable and consistent service. it doesn't really take a particularly rare form of talent to do that, just very hard work, good management and high standards. and people like gordon ramsay, who have multiple restaurants on the go in addition to a very demanding career as a media personality, are very far from having sole responsibility for the quality of the service.

so yes, in some ways you're right that gordon ramsay's public image as a god of cooking comes more from the imperious scale of their work and reputation than purely from cooking ability, but it bears repeating that cooking good food isn't actually difficult. not in the way that being a great painter is. it's a bit like saying a great naval commander must surely be fucking good at manoeuvring a ship. well, maybe he had to be to rise to the top. but that doesn't mean he is now or indeed that he was ever *the best*. and his food now is actually not of a particularly fashionable sort, it still has its roots in the french culinary boom of the late 80s, whereas the last twenty years has seen this split from that model into a more artistic style of either a very primitive or very technical/transformative way of cooking and presenting ingredients. his style is more in the middle.

>what does it mean to be an 'inherently very great' cook?
What I would consider an "inherently very great" cook would be one that will be remembered for at least decades to come either for completely changing the understanding of food and what is actually possible at the high level (kinda like Paganini), or for presenting a master extraordinaire perfection of established techniques (like, I don't know, Heifetz).
(Scott McCloud has a nice model of what art is and so on (cooking is obviously an art form) in the book Understanding Comics. The model can be helpful when thinking about this)

>it still has its roots in the french culinary boom of the late 80s

I think you have to remember that British food was very similar to French traditions prior to the world wars.
In some ways British cuisine was superior to the French, as the spices the British used, were not used in France.

The British had lagged behind after the wars and needed to catch up, hence the re-alignment with France during the early 1980's.

But Britain has regained it's foothold and seems to be world class again.

Thanks to this guy.

Maybe it's because I don't get out much, but I don't see "World-class British" cuisine anywhere in my metropolis. It's all Italian, Portuguese, French, Middle-Eastern, or Chink. What would a "World-Class British" restaurant even serve?

> Marco Pierre White has refused to speak to Ramsey for over a decade since he turned up at his wedding with an ITV film crew

>Ramsey is one of the most popular chefs on read-it with over 5000 upboats on both his AMAs

>What would a "World-Class British" restaurant even serve?

extremely well made food with british ingredients and roots in british dishes?

never heard of the fat duck or l'enclume? st john?

To some extent you are right, Keith Floyd began the house-wives revolution and a generation or two of austerity.

Game came back on the menu, along with many herbs and spices that were overlooked during the war years, householders tended to grow only the basics.

Nope, haven't heard of either.

Just bought a cod fillet from tesco. Gonna fry it in my copper chef pan, any tips?

salt for 20 mins before hand then rinse and dry
dredge with light dusting of flour
start in oil then baste with butter

Why does Reddit compulsively circle-jerk over him? I thought they'd find him too shouty and masculine.

I meant deep fry, sorry. The pan came with a fry basket that I want to use. Thanks for the tips though, will try if I fry fish next time.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/fried-fish-sandwiches-with-creamy-slaw-and-tartar-sauce-recipe.html

I made this the other night (just the fish part) it was awesome. Closer to 5 than 10 mins or you'll overcook it.

thanks desu

>seems to be world class again

>implying jellied eels aren't delicious

they aren't

Canned Beans on dry ass toast

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

>on both his AMAs
on both his "American Music Awards"???

Fish and chips.

I doubt Ramsay does all his own knife work. His hands are way too valuable to take day-to-day risks on cuts that require only basic cutting skills. On some cooking shows when they do a close-up of a chef's hands cutting some onions, potatoes, etc. it might be a body double/assistant chef.

Not like I think Gordon Ramsay CAN'T cut his own onions, I just think it would be unwise to take that risk often.

you just went full retard

Beat her up and take her stars. Probably carries them in her purse, dumb broad.

He's pretty much right, but for a different reason. Ramsay is an "executive chef". He directs the operations of his business empire, which includes many restaurants and all sorts of other stuff (books, TV, etc.) His restaurants are run by their respective "chefs de cuisine".

OTOH it's absurd to knock his knife skills. You can see him full-body in many of his TV programs and he certainly whoops ass.

>He's pretty much right
did you read
>On some cooking shows when they do a close-up of a chef's hands cutting some onions, potatoes, etc. it might be a body double/assistant chef.
>body double

are you trying to fucking communicate something?

oh, donĀ“t worry, soon even you will be able to understand meme arrows! welcome to Veeky Forums!

>did you read

Sure. That's why I pointed out that in many of his videos you can see his whole body at work. That counters the claim that body doubles may be in use.

He's "pretty much right" in the sense that Ramsay doesn't do the knife work at his restaurants.

the subject was not about restaurants, but cooking shows

Sure. And as I am repeating for the third time now, in many of his cooking shows you see him work in full-body shots.