Well...

Well, turns out I can choose for next week's org chem laboratory what kind of essential oil to extract (Soxhlet and Hydrodistillation). What plant or fruit or whatever do you guys suggest that may result in bigger amounts of oil extracted? Please guide me Veeky Forums

Artemisia absinthum

probably something like peanut or coconut will yield a shit ton of oil.

I think many fruit esters are pretty easy to isolate like banana.

cannabis indica.

get a bunch of the stickiest pine needles you can find

sage if it grows in your area

orange/lemon/lime/citrus peels are good

eucalyptus leaves

Will keep in mind. Thanks, good fellas.

I was an egdelord in sophomore year I did nutmeg after reading that the essential oil had hallucinogenic properties.

We ran it through an NMR and it actually worked but my yield was shit haha

lemon balm

It would be quite interesting if not for the fact that they wouldn't allow me to do it.

Citrus peels would be the easiest for me to bring, I like that.
The smell of eucalyptus is delicious tho. Thank you very much, user.

I read about people trying to extract nutmeg oil, would consider doing it out of curiosity haha

Do cloves. They won't give you as much oil, but eugenol is the best extract

Safrole from sasafras
Getting sasafras in bulk might be a hassle.

General o-chem related question, what does Veeky Forums recommend for someone about to take o-chem? I was told on here by someone that memorizing the material is the best strategy for passing this class?

I'm a pre-med student and need it for curriculum but don't intend to go into chemistry, so the gold standard of just memorize the material seems reasonable here but i dont know, do they tend to test understanding of the concepts?

Memorize conditions for SN1 SN2, E1 E2 reaction types, you'll need to know mechanisms for a lot of reactions so curly arrows and electron pushing is a must.

>Understanding concepts
Sure, like they may ask why a certain reaction favours Condition A vs Condition B.
>Using knowledge of previous concepts explain a retrosynthesis of given compound A etc
Do you have a book you're using for the course?

>I was told on here by someone that memorizing the material is the best strategy for passing this class?

ignore that mumbling idiot, as with any science discipline there are bound to be stuffs to memorise

>I'm a pre-med student and need it for curriculum but don't intend to go into chemistry, so the gold standard of just memorize the material seems reasonable here but i dont know, do they tend to test understanding of the concepts?

so even if youre trolling, i'd recommend you to learn the general mechanisms as a physicist would learn classical mechanics, and learn your stereochemistry

LIMONENE
I
M
O
N
E
N
E

>Stereochemistry
Cannot stress this enough, cost me my A grade in o-chem 1, start skull fucking R vs S practice questions as well.

DONT memorize the material, you'll get fucked on the exams, most organic profs are tricky little shits and will write questions in a different way from how you practiced them, but the concepts should be the same so just make sure you focus on stereochemistry and try practice problems from more than one textbook.

>cost me my A grade in o-chem 1
yep

bunch of stupid mistakes, desu

buy a molecule model set and start playin'

mellaluca

apparently it smells terrible

Op extract some capsaicinoids up in that bitch. Just take a bunch DRIED chillies

Sassafras.

we made isoamyl acetate in my orgo lab. I stole the vial of product. Still smells like bananas. I keep it in a vial at my desk.

It was a pretty easy synthesis, and the lab smelled like banana laffy taffy for the next week. Was cash

3 votes for Safrole. You know why OP ; )

do hemp oil

Durio zibethinus
smells like a dead grandma

Spearmint or anise

Truffles

Greetings from Veeky Forums

You'll need to memorize certain things, that's unavoidable. However, it's most important to develop an understanding of *reactivity trends* to be truly successful. You need to draw inferences from data/reactions to do this.