Vegan diet and seizures

I had seizures during my teens and early twenties and the doctors couldn't find out what it was. I also ate vegan at the time. At 22 I started eating fish and dairy, and noticed my seizures got less frequent, from 10-30 a month to maybe 2-4. After 8 months the seizures stopped completely and never came back (the last 4 of the 8 months I only had 2 seizures).

I feel like my diet had a lot to do with the whole thing since I also felt a lot stronger and less tired after I stopped being vegan. I know keto is recommended against epilepsy, but not why. Are there any dietician fags here who can help me understand what happened? Did I have a deficiency that could cause seizures or something similar? Could it related to carb/sugar intake or insulin (since keto works)? My diet had a lot less carbs than before, and more protein. My fat intake is mostly the same. I feel tempted to try going vegan again to see if the seizures come back but they are painful and I want to avoid it if I can. Still, the change is so drastic that I feel the need for an explanation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrichosis
ketoconnect.org
epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet
sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151125083815.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> I know keto is recommended against epilepsy

No, keto was initially developed for people with epilepsy and its proven quite medically effective for many of them.

Keto for epilepsy is very high in fat, very low in carbs and low in protein. It's not the same pleasant diet that keto for weightloss is.

i think thats what he was saying..
>keto is recommended (to fight) against epilepsy

Try slamming down a pot of unenriched spaghetti every couple days and avoid sunlight.
Any number of things could be happening but extremely high carb intake shut down my absence seizures and about a year later I stopped having them. Hard to say if this will help, but give it a shot.

Did you take proper doses of B12 during your time as a vegan?

Ok, thanks. I didn't realize that. No biggie.

OP, while there have been many studies about keto and epilepsy Drs don't completely understand why the keto
diet helps to control seizures in epileptics. The more current results of scientific studies say that the diet alters the genes involved in energy metabolism in the brain, which in turn helps stabilize the function of neurons exposed to the challenges of epileptic seizures.

However, the previous poster is correct. 70- 75 percent of the medical keto diet is fat, around 20-25 percent protein, virtually no carbs... Usually 15 GRAMS or less, max.

I would certainly recommend a Dr or dietician to oversee any diet that you are contemplating for seizure control. Also, you need to verify what is causing the seizures.

No carbs? I think the complete opposite, am I stupid?

I did eat enriched foods but didn't take supplements. A lack of b12 don't cause seizures though.

That's really interesting. Do you have any sources?

Like I wrote, the doctors couldn't find anything, and I'm not diagnosed with epilepsy. I just had seizures, nobody knows. Also, I'm not changing my diet again unless I find good research to back up something, and then I will consult a doctor before I do it. I'm not having seizures anymore.

I had this same shit and they were complete assholes about it, refusing a diagnosis for a year. Like I said, look into carb loading and these two links might give you some answers because doctors blatantly refuse to diagnose or treat them and they can cause seizures.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrichosis

Have a (you) for creative trolling.

Just google ketogenic diet and epilepsy studies. Sources abound. It's still being studied. You not going to find a definitive article telling you exactly "why" it works for seizures. Good places to start
ketoconnect.org

epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151125083815.htm

And you'd know what it's like to get scars and seizures from sunlight?

Thanks. I'll get to reading.

Post more.

How awful to be so sensitive to sunlight. I am so sorry. Are you able to go outside at all?

Just red shit really, it's rare as fuck so doctors will not diagnose you.

Sit down kids. Condriac pawpaw's gonna tell a story.

Yes definitely but I will not sit in it or I will get hypertension, rapid heartbeat and bowel twisting (colic).

>25 years old
>pawpaw

>pawpaw thinks he's 25 again
>pawpaw forgot to take his meds

go on...

>being this mad because your arms are bare ginger skin

How is your fur special fur? Are you a woman?

Does sunscreen help with the redness/scarring at all? I would hate this. I'm sorry man. Hope you get this all worked out.

No woman has no balls. I take this ban with stride for it is my first.

No I'm severely allergic to perfume because porphyria so I can't use any dermal products that aren't deodorant, which is by necessity, not a want for the scent.
See you in 24h friend.

>tfw fellow hairy bro