Underrated food states thread

Underrated food states thread

What does New Jersey make?

toxic waste and mob shows

Large ethnic enclaves, lots of farmland (called the garden state for a reason), old school italian food.

Most people just drive through the state's major throughway and watch a show about a resort town full of people from outside the state and think that gives them an informed view of the whole state.

>joisey

I moved from here and the thing I miss the most is the endless mon and pop diners. Especially the 24 hour ones. All that's here is a fucking Denny's that's still a 25 hour ride away. What fast food is around is a burger King, the shittiest KFC which I'm sure is a front for something and a pizza hut. One shitty Chinese place.

I miss all the restaurant options. Tons of different pizza places, pubs, Russian, Mexican, Jamaican, Thai, etc all within 20 minutes driving(I like to walk a lot) and pretty much any fast food joint on the east coast.

Jersey City has a 2 block stretch down Newark Avenue near JFK Boulevard that has more Indian restaurants than some states.

Only reason I'd ever go to that hellhole of a state.

NJ here, the state isn't that bad, just get the fuck out of Newark. That said, our local pizza is overrated as fuck, just get some from Costco.
(also guidos and your typical NJ accent are absent and all NY shit)

Ferry street in Newark has some good Brazilian and Portuguese food. That's the only part of Newark I've been in. I don't even want to imagine the cuisine in the black parts of that city.

america look worse

Diners are great there

>taylor ham

I'm from CT, and NJ is always seen as the bastard child, but I feel ya bro. I moved out west and it was terrible. Imagine living in a town where there were only two pizza places and Pizza Hut was the better of the two.

it's called pork roll fuckface

>Large ethnic enclaves,
other than indian, what do they have?

Your state is almost certainly a verifiable shithole

White muslims
All sorts of Latinos

Straight up great food from New Jersey:
Sweet corn and tomatoes in season
Spanish and Portuguese food around the Newark area
Also great Peruvian joints in Harrison and Kerany (beside Newark)
The parts of Jersey near Staten Island and Philly have great Italian American food
Jersey City has great South Asian food
There are Mexican enclaves with great Puebla/DF tacos

Sure, a good chunk of the state is suburbs and post industrial wasteland. But that isn't all of it. Some of it is a great place to eat.

>NY, CT, and NJ all have NY-style Diners
>NJ thinks it has the best NY-style Diners
Still don't understand that one

What the fuck is the appeal of Taylor Pork Roll?
I work in a supermarket deli in northern New England, and people from NJ act like it's mana from heaven, but it just tastes like salty mystery meat.

wtf you mean by white muslims?
Turks, Chechens, Kosovars? Bosnians?

I feel like it sort of the bacon of this state. I'm not a huge fan of either but put it on a sandwich breakfast and I'm in fucking heaven. I'd east neither alone bit I'd prefer pork roll on a breakfast sandwich. Just one slice though. I don't like my sandwiches being too much meat.

fugg I was at a Portuguese place on Ferry last week. Didn't think I would enjoy it but it was probably one of the best dining experiences I've had.

There's that and Jersey city downtown(grove street). Plus the campus towns around Rutgers and Princeton. That about sums it up for me.

NJ diners are dead. They don't even stay open 24hrs any more.

There is literally nothing wrong with getting a dosa or indian chinese food on Newark Avenue in the Heights

oh sorry I didn't even look at the post you were quoting. I thought you were saying grove street was the only place besides ironbound newark that was ok for eating

also, fort lee has some pretty great korean food, and some not too bad chinese and japanese food too

journal square

There's some pretty sweet markets there I pick cheese up from whenever I find myself in the area. And then I get a bunch of those custard dessert things at whatever bakery.

michigan is pretty great (specifically detroit)

they've got a good mix of new york, chicago, cajun, creole and canadian

Just moved to Michigan from Jersey and the food here can eat a dick, I never cared for diners but I do miss all the mom abd pop shops, and you can't get a decent bagel anywhere outside of nj, the Italian food here sucks and if I can't get just a slice of pizza any where, its all fucking pizza hut and dominos

F A T S A N D W I C H
A
T
S A N D W I C H

I was once in new brunswick to get a tattoo. Ate one of those and shit my brains out. I assume everyone is farting during college sex in that town.

Palisades Park/Leonia Korean food is heavenly (know all the good spots thanks to my QT3.14 korean gf)