SCIENTISTS FIND ALIENS!!! maybe

tl;dr light coming from a star gets blocked sometimes. Scientists don't know why. Asking for 100 grand on kickstarter to figure it out. Ted talk lady blames aliens. Says it could possibly be an alien space battle.

If it's not aliens, what's causing the fluxes Veeky Forums?

Is it worth 100 grand to figure it out? Are you willing to swoop in with a better answer and make this group of scientists look like a bunch of silly willies?

youtube.com/watch?v=IyIAjUuxNKw

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2016-05-mysterious-star-kic.html
mnrasl.oxfordjournals.org/content/458/1/L39
arxiv.org/abs/1512.03693
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's a faulty meter. where's me money?

>pop science sensationalism
sage and go to /b/

>chance for a new discovery
>people expected to give $100,000 to figure it out

This isn't one of my college math homework hugbox threads! Go back to /b/! REEEEE

Imagine it's alien dyson sphere and the universe is full of aliens that are afraid of relativistic kill vehicles.

And we just randomly find an alien civilization trying to hide itself the best it can and we're like "sup guys" out of nowhere.
>ayylmaos' faces when

>Tabby's star

Old news brah, real old.

Believe it or not, that's actually a hypothesis she proposes in the video.

She's literally just saying that to get people's money.

enjoy your alien spaceships thread. create one on the AI threat while you're there

So why don't you say something better and get people's money instead of her?

You little shit OP, you post some silly popsci ted talk shit, when you could have posted the most recent sub-millimeter wave study of it:
phys.org/news/2016-05-mysterious-star-kic.html

mnrasl.oxfordjournals.org/content/458/1/L39

It's not dust. DUN DUN DUN!(Although this is consistent with the comet hypothesis)

What if its just orbited by some kind of metal moon?

Like a very small moon made of a light metal?

The troughs in the lightcurve are aperiodic and asymmetric. That's not what you would see from an orbiting solid body. It also doesn't explain the depths of the dropouts as it needs to be very large.

Pro tip: If you're trying to look like you actually know what you're talking about post the arXiv.

>muh free publications
>fuck le evil publishers
>le arxiv revolution
ok dude

No, you're only furthering the case that you don't know what you're talking about.

ArXiv is what people in the field use, hence why Vox Charta doesn't link to MNRAS. It's been embraced by ADS. Nobody goes trawling through journals anymore. ArXiv isn't a revolution as most papers are still reviewed, it's just a thousand times more convenient.

arxiv.org/abs/1512.03693

it's not that hard to figure out if it's ayy lmaos or not

>send beam of radiation matching hydrogen emission spectrum
>wait a few hundred thousands years for a response

Simple.

It's interstellar supernova debris. See Stellvia anime.

the center peak looks kinda symmetric, but not from one round body

>light coming from a star gets blocked sometimes
>The troughs in the lightcurve are aperiodic and asymmetric

It could be litteraly anything

that's like saying the lights coming out of the closed window of my neighbour's house are disappearing without any symmetry or particular pattern

it could be your mom going back and forth to the kitchen, the cars passing on the road, a giant flying bat going in circles, your uncle throwing nis nephew in the air and catching him, etc

no ayy lmaos here

but what are the astrological equivalents of these?

>astrological
i did not mean that
astronomical

being aperiodic in a lifetime does not mean being aperiodic for 2 lifetimes or 78 lifetimes

Dumb Nature poster.

This has nothing to do with being intellectually disingenuous. Which is what giving the whole alien theory that much credit is.
Calling it now, it's not aliens.

I'm looking forward to seeing the look on you're face when it turns out it actually is aliens.

This baiter gave up the game too soon. Sorry kid.

First, OP, your info is kinda old. Lots of smart guys are looking on that star trying to figure out, what is happening there.

As far as i know, reading some articles after the things that star doing wasdiscovered, we dont fucking know what it is. I can make mistakes here, but: that is Not dust, probably Not comets, not a Planet, basically nothing usual here. It can be lmaos but we cant find any special signal from that star, nothing like infrared radiation, that Dyson sphere should probably throw everywhere. So what we Can Say now is if its aliens, they know some magic. And if its not aliens we can discover something strange, that we didnt though of.

Or it can be some really stupid mistakes from us and there is nothig there at all. ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯

>It could be litteraly anything
the scale of the dips is enormous, larger by an order of magnitude than even an enormous planet on the edge of collapsing into a brown dwarf would cause

Wanna bet?

But what about TWO enormous planet?

then you're talking a 2% dip in emission rather than 1%

still far below the 16-22% observed

Our first message will be "Ayy lmao"

It could be your mom going back and forth in front of the stars in fact

Partially finished or partially decentigrated Dyson sphere.

they will reply with relativistic kill vehicles.

either aliens or something about the universe we had never even expected could be possible

exciting either way