How do we know the taste of chemicals that you wouldn't want to consume...

How do we know the taste of chemicals that you wouldn't want to consume? Does some fucker actually stick his finger in toluene, acetone, acetic anhydride, and put it on his tongue for the purpose of reporting the taste in MSDS and Wikipedia articles? Honestly how bad for you is consuming small amounts of organic solvents?

We can deduce the taste qualia from the chemical structure.

Chem PhD student here.
I did a shot of dimethyl sulfoxide on a dare. It tastes like concentrated sterile garlic. Nothing happened to me.

I hope that one day I am so sure of my own intelligence I can do retarded things knowing they are safe.

DMSO is actually less toxic than ethanol.

As clearly seen by , there's always some Johnny-Knoxville motherfucker willing to give it a shot. I reckon a lot of them are also based on patient accounts at poison control centers and the like, rather than from laboratory tests.

Its a rather potent neurotoxin to developing rodent brains. No proof it has a negative effect in adult human brains but I would rather play it safe because why not. I wouldn't have taken a shot of it. But then again I also refused amalgam fillings and avoid cooking on aluminum cookware and drinking from aluminum cans. It's probably just voodoo that wont actually help me at all but its also easy to do and drinking soda is bad enough that an extra excuse to avoid it cant hurt.

so, tell us why drinking soda is "bad" you gullible fatass

That's the point of smell, you idiot.

We can often also predict the taste of something based on its chemical structure

Woukd it be possible to "engineer" a chemical that is objectively the best taste a human brain can perceive?

smell is not a reliable indicator of taste. Poo in loo food, for example (smells like ass, tastes delicious)

How do you objectively measure the best taste?

The best taste a human brain can perceive probably depends too much on the person tasting it. So you probably wouldn't be able to do it objectively. (You know people like different tastes, just like they like different music)
But it is possible to "engineer" a molecule that has a VERY specific taste.

Idiot

That's what fast food giants do

>fatass
Projecting much, lad?

Chemist here. The taste is known for many compounds made back in the day because old chemists used taste to help identify compounds. Almost all things are fine in tiny amounts they tasted, and yes the old chemists had shorter lives than other people.

The trick isn't in the taste, but the nutrients (specifically micronutrients) and sometimes salt. Fast Food is great for fats and other substances that are hard to find in the wild, so they're viewed as ambrosia by our bodies.

Fuck
*macronutrients

Take a shot of dimethyl mercury