ITT good science books

ITT good science books

Other urls found in this thread:

hidden-city.net/en/people/nev/solo/19/__reviews_____books_____science___manga_guides_series.html
worldcat.org/title/manga-de-wakaru-furie-kaiseki-the-comic-guide-to-fourier-analysis/oclc/675764155/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true
math.psu.edu/tabachni/Books/taba.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not a science book, but fun (and actually not meme-tier)

>popsci
>good

Fuck off, is that way

Go fuck yourself faggot, people don't get interested in science by being an autist like you and straight-up reading Real Analysis textbooks, they read "xd singularity lol" and that gets them into science and math

ALSO ANYTHING BY KEN HAM, KENT HOVIND, AND BILLY RAY CYRUS.
- REDNECK SCI GUY

Amen. I'm sick of the elitist bullshit on this site.

Anyone that tries to bring science to the masses (Dawkins, Greene, Tyson, Hawking) is immediately attacked, because god fucking forbid anyone who doesn't study science for a living dares to take an interest in it.

>I want to learn about science
>But not actually learn about science
>Just know all the buzzwords so as to impress

If you really were interested in science, they you would read a freshman science textbook.

Has nothing to do with impressing anyone. It's interesting. I have read freshmen science books in college. That's as far as I feel like pursuing the field - I have a different career that I enjoy. A lot of the information in books by the aforementioned authors is material you would find in freshmen science books anyway. What would you rather someone do? Read nothing at all?

I honestly believe the ego you faggots have on here has a lot to do with the knowledge that you'll never contribute anything of value to your field at all. You're just a bunch of number crunchers using rote memorization of formulas that smarter men than you came up with.

I mean, isn't popsci. There can be books talking about fun results in science/mathematics that aren't just cursory examinations at large quantities of information.

A little over a decade ago, Roger Penrose tried to write a popsci book but made the mistake of including real science in it. People either skipped over the hard stuff or just gave up on it.
For a chuckle go read some Amazon reviews of this thing. People give it 5 stars just so they don't appear ignorant, but freely admit they simply can't follow along with most of the book because of the maths.

You want the memer's so the masses don't bitch more than they already do about research funding (there is some US congressman that parades around a list of science grants he thinks are silly due to poor choices in titles as justification for shrinking the science budget).

>hurr durr, those stupid assholes!

Sorry not everyone wants to invest years of schooling and tens of thousands of dollars to learn math like you. That doesn't mean people can't appreciate the concepts or at least learn something of value. Like I said before - some education is better than none. We already know what complete ignorance of science leads to.

Tyson gets attacked because he constantly says stupid shit while trying to play social media for PR.

>Anyone that tries to bring science to the masses (Dawkins, Greene, Tyson, Hawking)

But they are not. If you want an example of something that brings STEM to the masses, take look at "The Manga Guide to ..." series which are actually educational and serves as a primer and motivator for further studies.

Popsci just exists to validate 13 year olds' antitheism and to give pretentious hipsters a larger technobabble vocabulary. If anything, it scares people away from serious study by making science seem vastly more convoluted then it really is.

>We already know what complete ignorance of science leads to.

Our current society?

> ITT pleb garbage

>GOOD
>SCIENCE
>BOOKS

pic related

I agree with you that popsci has it downsides. No doubt there, but I would say there is more to gain. I come from family that looked down on learning too much. It was thought that knowledge made you arrogant and as a result you would stray from God. This isn't an uncommon belief among uneducated families. Popsci was actually what initially got me into it all, as I know it did with countless others. It's a launching pad for those families still stuck in the dark. It has changed many people's minds that there is nothing wrong with being educated. Still, popsci has a tendency to propagate misinformation and glorifies unscientific views. In the end, we gotta give and take.

>implying anyone knows Euclid's Elements well enough to read that anymore

I really think you missed the entire point of my post. I fucking bought that book back when it came out and was disappointed that I had to skip shit because it was way too advanced. There's no way I could give that book 5 stars if I couldn't even finish it.
I definitely respect his effort and scholarship in writing such a book, but my point is that popsci and textbook science aren't usually good bedfellows.

another large downside is that for every young kid it inspires, it'll give 10 adults the deluded self-confidence that they know the facts when they simply just know enough to hurt themselves (and others)

> not iuteich
> good

>I come from family that looked down on learning too much

Sounds like the problem is that they are trailer trash rather than uneducated.

Nah. My family are religious Muslims. I was actually a devote Muslim for most of my life. There is just a thought amongst Muslims that knowledge is corrupting. It is how they explain why many highly intelligent people are not Muslim. The belief has roots all the way back to the sacking of Baghdad.

Still my point was that I knew and still know many people with that belief. Many that aren't Muslims.

Yep.

/thread

>the deluded self-confidence that they know the facts when they simply just know enough to hurt themselves (and others)

I'm curious - what's an example of information one would learn in a popsci book which would then hurt them or others?

literally anything health/nutrition related, anything related to nuclear physics, black holes & antimatter destroying the earth @ cern, people not understanding chemistry & electromagnetism (dont do X it causes cancer)

What? What the fuck kind of popsci books have you been reading? You're talking about pseudoscience conspiracy shit - none of that is found in any of the books we're talking about here.

And I fail to see how someone believeing that antimatter or blackholes being something to worry about would "harm" anyone. Same with nuclear physics - who but professionals have access to nuclear tech anyway?

>I'm just going to call everything I know nothing about popsci
Fuck off with this newfag meme.

wonderful literature here, the afterword by Dawkins really makes me want one of his books.

>Krauss
*tips*

Dover published a book called 'The Nature of Solids' I got at Barnes and Noble back in high school. While all qualitative it actually sensibly addresses some problems in thermo (e.g. the failure of the dulong and petit law) and introduces some basic concepts in quantum and stat mech. I didn't get an appreciation for just how neat the book was until after reading kittel's thermal physics.

Not everyone has the sufficient enough autism as you to pick up Spivak's textbooks for fun

Then pick up Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach by Kline. You can't get anymore handhold-y than that.

Wut? I'm a hardcore Salafi muslim and I come from a long line of PHDs.

>Sack of Baghdad.

You know Mesopotomia was already a backwater by then?

If I'm familiar with vectors and tensors, where should I start reading Aris' "Vectors, Tensors and the Basic Equations of Fluid Mechanics" for understanding fluid mechanics?

Is Jaynes' "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science" good as an introductory text?

I should have stated myself better. This isn't all muslims, but muslims that come from villages back home. Over there the belief if pervasive. Still, Even here. I have been told by many other muslims not to get arrogant when I went to Uni. They said so many Muslims get arrogant when they get educated. Most western muslims won't stop you from getting educated, but they will remind you that education is a temptation from Shaitan.

Also, the middle East wasn't always this bad. It's fucked now, but there was once a time when it was the center of scholarly learning. This was known as the golden age of Islam. All muslims are told about this time countless times growing up. The sacking of Baghdad signaled the end of this era. It was a huge blow to the muslims and they never fully recovered from it.

> Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach by Kline

Wow, what a very interesting and approachable title, I'm sure all the kids would rush to the bookstore to find this title, or beg for it on Christmas Day

Does anyone know if the rest (the ones that are not published) of the manga guide series has been unofficially translated to English?

If so, where can I find them?

pic is manga series to fourier analysis

PhD's in goatfucking? Mudslime.

can someone recommend some good literature on classical mechanics? The textbook I have just skims over it

>I never read any of these books but the people who wrote them offend me
Why the hell are these faggots on Veeky Forums?

You forgot your fedora.

the point is, if you did not learn it accurately you did not learn anything at all.
Its like the kids who heard about quantum mechanics and use it everytime to explain the pathetic ideology that is trendy right now in there pop sci eyes.

>Accurately
Hey idiot, you can always understand something better.
You can take an introduction to chemistry class and see how something works but you wont exactly know everything behind it.
You can then take the more advanced class and know a bit more but you still wont know everything behind it.
You can do this until you get to the forefront of human knowledge and not truly understand completely how something works.

By your stupid logic know one has learned a thing because we still don't know everything behind of even the most simple things work.

>Richard Dawkins
kekekekekkekekekek

Are you a butthurt christfag or a butthurt SJW?

>read a freshman science textbook
Only freshman do that.

>implying atheists don't hate him too

Do you have a link to the raw?

>Muh atheism
>I'm gonna get butthurt about a book involving biology because the writer is muh atheism
Faggot.

Fedora tip to you! Of course I'm a fucking atheist. He is a faggot and so are you.

See >I don't know anything about him other than his religious beliefs
So you are an SJW it seems since you get this butthurt this easily.

>I don't know him besides that he doesn't believe in god
Why the hell are you on Veeky Forums then?

hidden-city.net/en/people/nev/solo/19/__reviews_____books_____science___manga_guides_series.html

pic is manga guide to cryptology

Seems to have a full list of them, not the raws though

I'm going to try to look for the raws now

>>I can't hate someone you like without being apart of "the enemy" side

Nice autism you got there.

>Dawkins is the only biologist I know
>The only biology I know is from Dawkins

Why the hell are you on Veeky Forums?

>Dawkins is the only biologist I know
>The only biology I know is from Dawkins
When the hell did anyone say this?
Someone posted a book made by Dawkins and retards went
>hurr durr atheism

>I'm going to get butthurt at a book because the guy who wrote it is le atheism or offensive!

closest thing i found was this

needs ebscohost login tho to download

worldcat.org/title/manga-de-wakaru-furie-kaiseki-the-comic-guide-to-fourier-analysis/oclc/675764155/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true

user didn't say any of that
it's an out of the blue straw man
try harder

No one is butt hurt over the book.

Why the hell would you need to care about any book written by Dawkins to be on Veeky Forums? The only way that makes sense is if he is the only source of that information.

>in there pop sci eyes
>there

I think you're missing the point - and I disagree with you. All scientific knowledge is a step in the right direction. Let's look at QM (and GR) since you brought it up:

First off, I have a balanced life with friends, family, hobbies and a career that I love. I don't have the time nor the desire to dedicate hours upon hours of my time studying the math behind QM and GR - that's for professionals in the field. BUT the subject is very interesting, and I enjoy reading popsci/layman's books on the subject. I don't need to know the math behind it to understand the basic concepts of what the theories suggest. I don't need to understand the equation that proves FTL is impossible to understand that FTL is impossible, for example - I accept it as an axiom. I don't need to understand the technicalities behind the math/experiments that prove quantum entanglement to understand that two entangled particles can be separated by immense distances yet still react as if they are connected. I'm interested in that stuff, as well as the speculation of the scientists who study it as to what it could imply. I don't pretend to be even close to an authority on the subject - I don't have to be to enjoy learning about it.

Sounds pretty good but $65? Shit.

math.psu.edu/tabachni/Books/taba.pdf

OP asked for good science books and posted a bad popsci book. If OP had asked for bad popsci books then Dawkins would have been spot on.

I don't mind discussing "pop-science" books, but they aren't science books, because they don't convey thorough understanding. They're more "books on the achievements of science".

Introductory textbooks to science and math topics are accessible and they convey a good understanding. No reason to be scared by textbooks.

>they read "xd singularity lol" and that gets them into science and math

[citation needed]

Just looked up Manga Guide to Linear Algebra, it's fucking useless.

Bump for interest

This guy gets it

It's actually very good

Top kek

>no one is getting butthurt over the book
See

origin of species is pretty interesting and really isn't too difficult to read. Genes, cells and brains is one of my favorites though, it discusses some of the science and is written by scientists, but it largely approaches the issues from an ethical and societal standpoint. no solutions presented but some good food for thought..

Stop trying to get real advice about books, this thread is for memes and memes only.

>every textbook in existence
>Wow, what a very interesting and approachable title, I'm sure all the kids would rush to the bookstore to find this title, or beg for it on Christmas Day

>buying kids nonfiction book that aren't bloody historical works

Then where is the right thread?