How do you make great mac and cheese?

How do you make great mac and cheese?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4xJnll3rq_o
bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/glam_mac_and_cheese_92848
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Blend in a small amount of crumbled blue cheese.

Crusty panko top.

Make a proper liason.

If you want really good mac and cheese and you don't care about calories. Blend 1 part butter to 1 part cream cheese, pour in 2 percent milk while blending to get a thick cream sauce when that is blended slowly put in shedded cheddar that has been tossed with cornstarch until a thick cream sauce has been rendered.

This. A little bit of blue works wonders in mac and cheese and also tomato sauces.

Swiss-style is best style: par-boil dry hörnli pasta (Amerifriends call them 'elbows,' which is just as cute as our 'little horns'), drain, shake of excess water, out into a baking dish, toss with 1,5-2× the pasta's dry weight of grated melting cheese/s of choice, top with bechamel sauce and bake in a hot oven until bubbly and brown.
Remove, allow to rest about 30 minutes or so to thicken and firm up a little, then serve.

Variations include adding caramelised onion (which is almost a requirement), shredded ham, swapping in some shredded potato for some of the pasta, topping it with buttercrumb before baking, serving it with apple mousse or stewed tomatoes and many, many more.

Teach me your ways

Don't buy kraft
That is literally all you have to do

Its easy to tell a good recipe from a bad recipe
If it contains a phrase like
>We're going to make a cheese roux
Its a bad recipe
If it contains a phrase like
>We're going to bake it at...
Its a good recipe

LOADS OF BBBBUTTTTTTTTTTTER!

Create a roux. Mix in heavy cream. Add your cheeses (I used cheddar and gruyere) and blend. Take some al dente elbow mac and mix it in your cheese sauce. Place mac in a souffle dish and top with a mixture of breadcrumbs, olive oil and fresh parm; the topping turns a regular mac 'n cheese into a macaroni gratin. Pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400F and serve. Note the ratio of cheese sauce to macaroni; because you're baking it to brown the crust it requires more moisture as to not dry out.

So is Swiss-style good or bad, then? Because it's made with a roux and it's baked. Faggot.

this is basically what I did last time I made it except I don't think I cooked the macaroni to al dente first and I think I added more cheese, then the breadcrumbs, oil, etc.

oh nvmd, you said you added more cheese on top. I'm on drugs rn.

Add a touch of this
I'm serious
You will thank me later
Screen cap this

Forgot pic

The only thing that disgusts me is that you put ketchup on Mac and Cheese

loads of butter and salt, like more that you would expect, for real

it's sriracha or w/e. I can't write that neat w ketchup

If it has a cheese sauce then its bad

It's a bechamel sauce poured over pasta and cheese. See Is that bad?

'cha is just ketchup with a smokey tang

>Make Mornay with cheddar
>Pour over cooked small pasta (shells, elbow macaroni, etc.)
>Top with buttered breadcrumbs and/or cheese
>Bake until toasty

Wa-la. Mac and cheese that's about as good as it gets.

>Is that bad?

Bad? I wouldn't say so. But the fact that there is bechamel involved means the cook is using a cheese that doesn't melt very well. If you pick a cheese (or cheese combination) that does melt well then you can avoid the bechamel altogether. The result is much creamier and also takes less work to prepare.

I like to use a combination of gruyere and gouda. It's also good with blue cheese like danablu or gorgonzola.

When I cook the noodles, I usually put in just enough water to cover them then let it evaporate. It keeps the noodles extra starchy and I like that

>WEWWWWWWWW STINKIER THAN YOUR BULLY

>How do you make great mac and cheese?

There is no great mac and cheese.

>wa-la

kys

i go to boston market

>not one mention of ground mustard

Newcuck. Hang yourself.

>mac and cheese
>mustard

heres your reply

you mix in lots of other ingredients to make it not basic crap
vegetables, meats, spices
also boil the pasta in salt

If you want the end result to be creamy, then you need to remember that there's no such thing as too much cheese sauce
You want to drown the shit out of your pasta otherwise it'll wind up dry

do you seriously not understand what it adds to it (in the right quantity)?

You've essentially just implied you hate flavor.

as someone who's made too much sauce before and ended up with cheese soup with noodles, I have to disagree.

I feel out of my league just reading this

I prefer 'go style mac'

There is such a thing as too much sauce, there's a balance you need to achieve with it.

I find you have to put more sauce than you'd expect if you want it creamy

You seem pretty dumb user.

Mustard is a fantastic emulsifier. It helps keep the sauce creamy and prevents it from breaking if you like you use cheeses that don't melt well, like cheddar. And if used in the proper amount you cannot even taste it. 'course if you want it to taste mustardy you can always add more to your choosing. But you can get the emulsification effect without the flavor.

That's funny, because the Swiss traditional cheeses used are a mix of Gruyère and Appenzeller, two cheese renowned for their meltability. I don't think you know what you're talking about at all, user.

The VAST majority of recipes that I see that call for using Bechamel are also calling for cheddar cheese, which makes sense because cheddar doesn't melt well.

If you use gruyere then you don't need the bechamel because it melts well on its own.

Standard american recipe uses cheddar + bechamel. It's not very good. It can be greatly improved by using other cheeses and removing the bechamel.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Would you eat this mac and cheese, Veeky Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=4xJnll3rq_o

get yourself one of these 6 pound bad boys.

pour it over cooked macaroni noodles. heat.

pick out your 3 favorite cheeses and then make a fucking cheese sauce

if you think american cheese is a good idea then kys

I haven't tried making it without béchamel sauce, but I think the major difference here is how the pasta is cooked in the Swiss-style and US style. Americans cook their pasta all the way before draining, right? Every Grosi in Switzerland only boils the pasta a short bit, just until barely pliable, then drains it.
I would imagine that doing it this way is so that the pasta finishes cooking in the béchamel, absorbing the excess moisture while leaving enough of the fat behind to make a very, very creamy sauce. I've never had an American one that compares to the creaminess of Swiss style.

Are you an Amerifriend? If so, I'm curious about s/t: what sides do you guys typically have with your macaroni cheese? As said. we usually have apple mousse, which I think goes nicely.

>these are about quarter pounders.... mhhhm
>we are smoking up some bacon.... mhhmmmm
>its going to help make your sauce creamy....mhhhhhhm
>depending on how much you are making depending on how much milk you are going to use................mhm
>now if you never hade mac and cheese chesseburgerstyle you goto check this out it makes for great eating at the pit...... mhmhmhmh yeeeeh
>we goto add some cheese rigth, and its goto be chedder.... mhhhhm..... oh yeaaaaah load that cheese up

why does it feel like im watching a prono?

yes, i would eat that

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/glam_mac_and_cheese_92848

Has got me laid on three separate occasions

>doesn't realize that literally no one uses american cheese because bricks of cheese are up to 75% cheaper
>let's pay $6 a pound for american cheese
>said no one ever

Yes.

I would worry about feeling shame later.

>How do you make great mac and cheese?
Vote wisely and your mac and cheese will be great again!

gET youyr white nationalist frog off this website!!

I love stouffers mac n cheese

>Americans cook their pasta all the way before draining, right?

Depends on how it would be served. If it's the "stovetop" method then they make the sauce in one pot and boil the pasta in another. When the pasta is fully cooked they combine the two and serve immediately.

The other common method is the oven-baked type. In that case the pasta is partially cooked, mixed with the sauce, then put into a dish and baked in the oven. In this case the pasta is only boiled partway because it will cook longer in the oven. Both versions tend to call for bechamel + cheddar, since cheddar is by far the most popular cheese here.

My recipe for the sauce is gruyere, smoked gouda, and a little heavy cream. I don't bake it in the oven, but sometimes I might sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and then put it under the broiler briefly.

I am American, but not by birth. I was born in Denmark. Generally speaking Mac and Cheese is a side dish here in the states.

I like to use cheese ends. They're cheaper and you get more of a variety of cheese as well.

>cream

This is my recipe, it's guaranteed to be rich, thick and cheddary. You just need a wisk and a strong arm.

You remembered to let dad handle all the hot things right?

oh cool put a bunch of toxic jelly into my mac and cheese, i'll have to try that sometime and then die slowly of kidney failure

It's spelled catsup, you fucking moron.

>toxic jelly
It's literally used orally to treat constipation.

>Has got me laid on three separate occasions

Are you a pedophile or do you just exclusively date trailer trash?

I bet you would be hillarious at stand-up.

Butter milk cheese elbows. Layer them, bake it.
>crust
kys
>cream cheese
kys
Awful.
b8 kys

>1 pound cooked macaroni
>block of cream cheese
>stick of butter
>4 cups of sharp cheddar
>half a cup of halfnhalf
>tbsp of ranch
>mix all that shit up evenly
>bake a 400 for 45min
>top with bread crumbs

You are disgusting.

Why, because mac n cheese is supposed to be a healthy and complex?

How I make mine is
>Make bechamel
>Add cheese
>Mix with noodles
Very simple. You don't even have to make the bechamel, just mix the cheese with cream and butter. Add salt, pepper, garlic, whatever seasoning you think works to taste.

Things not to do
>Use cream cheese
>Use Velveta
>Season with mustard seed/powder/sauce

Because you are lazy and depriving yourself of a more well crafted dish as well as just having bad taste in general.

>bechamel
Sauce mac faggot already discarded in the bin kill yourself.

you don't , that shit is cancer.

Keep reading user, no reason to get so upset.

But you must add mustard.

THIS is how you make mac n cheese.
dont do any of that bullshit the others told you. dont make a roux dont coat the cheese in cornstarch. thats some old ass granny shit that tastes awful.

Whole grain mustard
Hot sauce
Smoked cheddar

Are next level additions to any mac cheese recipe and highly recommended.

>not baking
>sauce based
Absolutely discarded suicide material.

You should burn off your tastebuds with acid as you obviously don't need them

Its the ranch that truggered you, isnt it?

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter

melt the butter and then stir in the flour to a paste. cook that till it starts to darken

400 ml milk
1 whole nutmeg nut
black pepper
teaspoon salt

now add the milk in, in 100 ml amounts, blending it between adding milk. grate the nutmeg to add about a third or half to the sauce. throw in the salt, 4 cranks of the pepper grinder.

1/2 pound sharp cheddar, shredded by you, pre shredded cheese is covered in wood pulp and will mess with the sauce.
1/3 cup shredded velvetta cheese. the processed cheese really helps with the emulsifiers and mouth feel.

throw the processed cheese in first. stir till it blends all the way in. then throw in the sharp cheddar in small handfulls. blending it in before adding more.

all sauce cooking will be done at medium low heat.

cook up 2 cups of rotini pasta. don't forge to salt the water. the pasta's shape holds sauce better than elbow mac. cook it till it done, but still has some chew to it. drain and reserve some pasta water.

get a big oven safe glass dish and pour the sauce in. then add the pasta. if too thicc, add small amounts of pasta water.

panko bread crumbs over the top, generously. grate some Parmesan or aged assiago over that, lightly.

under the broiler on hi till it starts till golden brown.

wtf? not liquid mustard. add a pinch of dry mustard and a ccouple drops of hot sauce. just look up the original french recipe. nothing beats it. mornay sauce.

See Checkmate, bitch.

My post didn't suggest you don't bake. I usually bake it. I just didn't write it down because it felt useless. You can make it exactly the same way and just put in a dish and bake it with cheese/breadcrumbs on top. Didn't find it necessary to write.
>but it cuts the sharpness of the cheese!!
what is the point of making a cheese and pasta dish if you want to mask the flavor of the cheese?

kangaroux
milk
salt
pepper
cayenne powder
mustard powder
cheddar
parmesan

you don't, if you want something great, you make something else

That's why you need to vote for the right candidate to make amerimac cheese great again.

>hurr durr y00z beshiemelly saws!!!!!
>durrrrrrrrrrr but dont y00z a roo too mekk it!!!!!
You don't know what béchamel sauce is. Or roux for that matter. You fucking mouthbreathing mongoloid.

>not cooking macaroofie and cheese

I like to have a liberal amount of bacon, onion, and eggplant in mine.

>don't make a roux

no one said anything about liquid mustard spazoid

Trump is exactly the kind of person that would like disgusting cheese sauce mac n cheese

>mask the flavor
you pretty much just said 'hi, i'm a faggot, and I don't understand how to season food properly'.

the original (English) dish calls for a béchamel sauce

you start with a béchamel if you want to make macaroni cheese