Memes you fell for

memes you fell for

I ate there before the prices went up for the tourists so I guess the joke's on you.

>using meme to describe something you don't like
kys

Wow look at the guy who paid a little less for a meme. Clap.

>"kys"

Spotted tumblr. Drink bleach faggot.

Were you even old enough to be let out on your own back then, babby? LOL

>baking soda and baking powder are interchangable

This meme literally ruined my life. Now I life a life of exile on an island.

Katz's is fine if you want eat a pound of pastrami then feel like you want to die afterwards. You should know what you're getting into.

Things like In-n-Out, Whataburger and pic related are more in the memes you fall for category.

I fell for the "Golden Corral is garbage" meme.
I don't see why everyone shits on this place and not other comparable places like Applebees or Chili's.

>I don't see why everyone shits on this place and not other comparable places like Applebees or Chili's.
They do.

>like Applebees or Chili's.

They suck too, user. We shit on them too. But GC is worse.

I was old enough to know that Katz has been a tourist trap for decades.

I can get drunk at Applebee's or chilis. Does GC have a bar?

Food can not be a meme it is physically impossible

This place has been around since the end of the 19th Century. If it's meme it's old meme. Old meme is neither funny nor interesting. If anything it's shitposting.

Is there a Veeky Forums approved NY deli?

This. When I was a kid, bacon was just a tasty, salty meat to accompany pancakes, and occasionally wrap a scallop or top a burger. Now it's fucking "OMGZ MOST DELICIOUS FOOD EVAR PUT IT IN EVERYTHING!!!!"

The only dish that it adds to without being part of the actual recipe is mac and cheese, and even then lobster is a superior addition.

Adding extra protein to cheese dishes is gilding the lily. You're not really improving them, you're just making a novelty version of the dish.

The tastes of both go very well with the stuff. And nice crispy bacon interspersed in gooey mac and cheese is a good texture addition.
The lobster gets a bit rich, but I still prefer it.

This just in: all food is a meme

More at 11

Baked beans arent.

I'm not saying gilding the lily is wrong. More is better is a legit aesthetic. It's just when you apply it to cheese dishes, which start out over the top rich you're walking a fine line between sublime and absurd.

>implying baked beans aren't a meme in Bongistan

>2016
>thinkin bout dem beans
Stay pleb, summerfriend.

If it's some widely acclaimed deli, it won't be Veeky Forums approved. A Veeky Forums approved deli would be a local one that just makes good food without trying to become some kind of overpriced icon. Anything beyond that isn't really in the spirit of a deli imo.

Baked beans predate delis in America, making them even older meme here.

Katz's pastrami and brisket are fucking good, idiot. Yes, it's an expensive sandwich but it's huge and awesome. The tourists are the worst part, but it's far from a meme. Stop being so self conscious and enjoy good food.

I agree, but you didn't answer my question

How expensive are we talking about exactly?

20 bucks for pic related

Eh, that's tourist expensive, nothing crazy

>trying to become some kind of overpriced icon
Except Katz's didn't try. They won out by being one of the last good ones standing. If you look at all the 19th Century restaurants still in business in NYC they have two things in common: they're good at what they do and they bought the building. Were there better delis back in the day that didn't buy the building and have since gone out of business? Of course. But buying the building isn't enough. You also have to be good enough that the business managed to hang on through two World Wars (send a salami to your boy in the army), the Great Depression, White Flight of the 1950's and 60's, the city nearly going bankrupt in the 70's and everything else that's happened since then. Manage that and you aren't TRYING to be an iconic business. You are iconic.

They got smaller.

I suppose you're right brah.

asparagus.

you always see it in fine dining. it's made out to be the patrician's vegetable.but it's always underwhelming, no matter how it's prepared.

meanwhile i'm in fucking love with broccolini. now that's one tasty vegetable.

Out of season asparagus is underwhelming because it has to be shipped in from god knows where, so it isn't very fresh by the time you get it. In season asparagus is lovely.

But it is a luxury vegetable, like spinach and baby arugula.

Actually went to that place. It's just a ball of meat in 2 slices of thin shitty bread. You can't eat it like a sandwich so you end up eating slices of deli meat off a plate.

True. But what you're going there for is to taste the benchmark for excellent pastrami/corned beef, not just to have a sandwich.

NY sounds like the place to go for food. Paper thin pizza, inedible, overpriced sandwiches, can't wait.

prices are also higher

this is fair.

it is 20 bucks for a pastrami on rye now

argument is valid imo

It's also true. NYC has a bunch of restaurants that are over a century old. You go to these places for a taste of food from another time. Wonder what a steakhouse was like in the late 19th Century? Go to Peter Luger's. Is it the best steakhouse that ever existed in NYC? No. But it's very good, and you'll get that experience. Wonder what pizza was like in New York over a century ago when the rest of the country had no idea what the fuck pizza was? Go to Lombardi's and find out. Is it the best? No. But it's good, and they've been pulling the same kind of pizza out of that coal oven since 1905. Want to drink at a bar where Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Teddy Roosevelt, Peter Cooper and Boss Tweed drank? Go to McSorley's. Is it a great bar? No. It's a good bar that happens to be mostly unchanged since 1910, aside from allowing women to enter in 1970. The handcuffs on the wall were Houdini's.

Naturally these sorts of places attract tourists, because chances are they have nothing like that back home. But their status as NYC icons is entirely earned.

I was just looking for the Katz thread someone made the other day and found this thinking it was the same one.
Why do you faggots insist on making the exact same threads for days on end?

Was just searching for the thread in the archive and turns out it was deleted.
Why was a thread about a restaurant in NY deleted?
Veeky Forums mods are strange...

Most people on Veeky Forums Are oldfags and at least 25+. We see memes as something negative.

Asparagus used to be god tier eating and many people fell for the "I don't want my pee to smell" meme. Now, since those shitty normie "cooking" videos showed up on social media, asparagus is becoming more and more popular.

Same thing with Brussels sprouts. Gen x parents would boil them to death and that's why they had a bad name. Now people are starting to cook them right with roasting and sautéing so it is becoming more of a shitty meme that people cook with nomcomplimenting meat.

ur a 16 yr old fag

It was 15 bucks two years ago jeez...

How could anybody live in NY? I don't get it. That's the meme here.

You can live in an overcrowded, overpriced city in a tiny 500 sq. ft. apartment that you lease. Living conditions are shit. Your window probably faces another building.

OR

You can live in the suburbs (or even better, out in the boonies), and enjoy the wide-open spaces, dirty cheap cost of living, and live in a 4,000 sq. ft. McMansion that's loaded down to the tits and you're paying off to someday own. We're talking three bedrooms, two bathrooms, garage with extra refrigerator, back yard with deck and a grill and smoker, powerful gas oven, living room with home theater system, etc.

A lot of people in NYC doesn't actually live in the city. They usually live in the outer boroughs or commute from NJ.

Let's see, I can be surrounded by an ocean of educated, well off, fit, well travelled people, eat and drink anything I want, have an extra drink at dinner and not worry about killing someone on the way home, I can have a high paying interesting job, be surrounded by culture, be able to walk and bike everywhere or take the train if I need to go a long distance, be able to literally get all my daily needs taken care of within a 5 minute walk, be able to listen to good music live any time I want, and not have to mow my lawn.

Or I can be forced to drive for 45 minutes to go grocery shopping or go to a restaurant, I'll be surrounded by people who think "college boy" is an insult, all the food is beige and deep fried, the only way to get good food is to head on over to the bad part of town before 7 PM because that's when all restaurants close, the only drinks are beer and pepsi products, everyone drives drunk all the time and DUIs are normal things that everyone has, everyone is fat and dumpy looking and doesn't have a passport, the only cheese is kraft singles, no vegetables other than onions and iceberg lettuce unless I go to the fancy yuppie store, the only jobs are at call centers, machine shops, and big box superstores, and my neighbors will form an alliance and sue me if I paint my shutters the wrong color or plant the wrong plants next to my driveway.

I wonder why people are all moving to cities? I must be missing something, it's a huge mystery!

benis

Try this:
>live in 575sq ft apartment
>own it
>windows overlook building courtyard on one side, park on the other
>park full of families and people enjoying themselves, sometimes hear Chinese flute or even bagpipes from that direction
>free concerts all summer - see tons of Latin jazz and African music
>almost all shopping I need in walking distance, walking everywhere keeps me trim
>great food everywhere - I eat great meals out for the prices the rest of the country pays for fast food
>groceries incredibly cheap because Chinese, Mexican and Middle Eastern stores
>thousands of restaurants available to me at every price point and every kind of food you can imagine
>friendly neighbors who also cook and send tastes of what they're making to me. Last week my bell rang and ridiculously cute neighbor girl handed me a plate of warm oatmeal cookies

I don't need three bedrooms and a garage to fill with crap from WalMart. I'd rather spend that money going out and traveling.

>Diet Coke fag detected

And my apartment has just about doubled in value since I bought it. How's the value of your house in the boonies doing?

Great! Thanks for asking. Just put in a new gas oven and dishwasher. I replaced the motor and one of the panels on the garage door. I've started putting hardwood down in the master bedroom. Someday I'll do the entire house. My second monitor came in the mail yesterday (I upgraded), and my GTX 1060 (I upgraded) that I bought online (not Walmart) ships today. I'll get it Thursday. I work at the university as a software developer, and most days I work at home.

Still haven't changed my mind that the living standard here is TONS better.

>(((Katz)))'s
When the warning signs are this clear there's really no one to blame but yourself desu

>I bought a new monitor and some appliances
So it increased by about $8000, give or take a bit?

>doing home improvement projects for "fun"
Fixing the garage door and putting down flooring sounds like such a great way to spend my time. Think I'll walk across the street to the park to watch the sun set over NY harbor instead. Enjoy mowing the lawn.

Not just computer hardware and appliances. I've made improvements to the home.

I'd put it closer to $12,000. Don't forget that I also own the land around the home.

I don't see the point in having an apartment that doubles in value if I don't want to live there the rest of my life. What are you going to do? Sell it? And move where? Into a bigger apartment?

I can also add to the home. I can build up or sideways or anyways.

I like how you consider walking to be exercise, but mowing the lawn isn't. Mowing the lawn is fucking fun, although I do like leaf blowing and weed eating better.

In my opinion, even the shittiest of Chinese buffets is better than GC.

But GC isn't necessarily bad. It's just mediocre.

fuck this shit..I usually just cook with it

Introducing the only food that isn't a meme.

Debate me.

I grew up in the burbs, with an acre and a half I had to mow. By the time I was a teen I was bored to tears, and never wanted to have to mow the lawn again. Quite happy to have landed where I did. I'll catch one last view of the sunset when I walk around the corner to get a bottle of wine for dinner. The local good wine shop is just half a block away.

Doesn't really matter what you have as long as you enjoy it. But millions of folks enjoy it here.

To be fair, looks like a fucking great sandwich and there's a line out the door. Why not charge more?

Especially cuz you know the people who work at a place like that make bank. That's at least how it is at Rendezvous in Memphis. It's like a family

>home electronics are part of my home's value
Wow, I didn't know that! I hope the assessor doesn't find out about my stereo system!

>25+
>oldfag

Taste like you're drinking a cedar tree.

not worth th emoney, but the food is good

whats a better alternative to Katz's Deli?

>>baking soda and baking powder are interchangable

Then why do some recipes call for both?

Jason's Deli

you cut that shit is amazing

New York in general

Chinatown has great places

I think the point was that there is disposable income for luxuries.

You can save a few bucks by going to Carnegie Deli, but it won't be as good. And of course it's in fucking Midtown.

I own a house. Granted I don't have the raw acres most home owners have but it's certainly not a tiny apartment. It takes me 15 minutes on a good day to get into Manhattan, 30 at most. Me and missus figure getting something in Long Island or Jersey if we want to ruin our lives with children.

Don't get down on yourself user, I'm sure it's pretentious and overpriced as fuck too! Oh, and pushy assholes....just wait til you see those fuckers. So many you'll want to move to the Ozarks.

Fuck New York. Fuck Chicago. Fuck Los Angeles. Fuck St. Louis. Fuck Detroit. Fuck Kansas City. I have no idea why anyone would put themselves through living in such a place.

When you have a good job paying $150K base, plust up to 20% bonus every year

>I have no idea why anyone would put themselves through living in such a place.

It's the salary. The only other comparable place would be California and I'm not moving coasts for that. I've lived in this shit hole just about my entire life except for a ten year stint out of country and despite it's flaws I am used to it.

Now why anyone would move here is a different story.

>google real estate 15 minutes from manhattan
>holy shit look at those prices

>everyone working in the metro area makes 6 figures plus

Opportunities. You can reinvent yourself here easily. There's so much money floating around you can think in terms of income streams instead of actual jobs if you want to. I haven't had a job in 20 years. I've just fucked around in fields that interest me. Played several roles in the music industry, have dabbled in the wine business and got some of my writing published. I would not have the kind of connections with people in those fields unless I lived in a major city. But if you know enough interesting people someone's always got something interesting going on.

t. 2012 poster

when i went to katz's in 2011 there was no big line up or anything. it was just regular smoked meat, with fries and a pickle. Good, but not as good as schwartz's in montreal.

how did it become a meme?

Meat loaf schmeat loaf, I HATE meat loaf...

Broccolini absolutely destroys my guts. Its so good, but every time I have it I'm shitting like 8 times a day.

Nutella

>Let's see, I can be surrounded by an ocean of educated, well off, fit, well travelled people

I mean I agree with your main point but you don't have to embellish so much.

Most nu-male post I've seen this year

He's got a point, though. If you're going to speak in hyperbole it does sound better than living in the middle of nowhere with obese, marginally educated people whose concept of the world beyond their backyard comes from TV and whose leisure activities include scrapbooking, attending church and collecting firearms. And any food that isn't BBQ sucks.

>Lamazou (favorite so far)
>Alidoro
>Eataly apparently has brisket sandwiches on Wednesday
>Untamed sandwiches

Not delis per se

check David's on Nostrand in Bed-Stuy. Still expensive, but 20 bucks gets you like 2.5 lbs of pastrami in a sandwich.