Spices of life

Spice newfag here, Moved out of home couple of months ago, been living alone, feels great.
But recently I've found myself in the monotonous, tedious, work heavy life that is cooking for one, i get home tired and just want to make something quick but filled with flavor at the same time, so i thought about buying some spices to spice things up. Any recommendations? what are staples other than i guess garlic, pepper and salt?

Oregano

Gunpowder

A friend told me he uses oregano with soups and white meats, how's that? also are exotic spices worth or a meme?

is this a maymay? i don't understand.
Also spices do great as a wallpaper

Cayenne pepper and Paprika
I know Jack shit about cooking but I bought both and food now tastes better

what do they taste like and what does it go well with?

Do I add spices before or after I cook, im not even kidding I'm an idiot please help me

Heaven
I can't describe what a spice tastes like, describe salt or pepler

Depends on what you are making honestly

I guess you're right i'll try both.

Jesus Christ man that doesn't help me in the slightest

What do you want, a list of different spices? Just go to your supermarket and buy 1 of each. Taste a little to get an idea about it and search the name to see what sort of uses it has.

Some "spices" you can get in jars are dried herbs that are 1000% flavourless compared to the fresh plant. Avoid these.

Well it was a stupid question, it's like asking if you should use sugar or salt when cooking

Tell us what you want to fucking make and maybe you'll get a better answer.

I'm very curious to know what you've been cooking that hasn't involved the use of any spices.

OP here, that wasn't me, i'm just curious in what spices you guys use and what can it pair with, like i heard salt n pepper for red meat, fine spices or oregano por white meat and such, anything really about the use of spices.

i haven't, mostly i've ordered stuff, or had ex cook for me, my mom uses spices but when i try asking her for advice on it she just says my grandmother used to use said spices so she just follows the recipe, so pretty vague information on the matter. I just hope the thread lasts, i know some Veeky Forums anons who worked on restaurants and shit that can potentially help me and others interested maybe.

I've also tried with some stuff like dried cilantro or thyme but I don't know if tasting and understanding their flavor is something that grows on you like for example wine or coffee, scotch, cause when I try other's recommendations i want to get a better understanding of the things I use.
Pic not related.

put garlic in everything.

if you want something to taste more Mexican add cumin.

if you want your stir fry to taste more Chinese add sesame oil.

if you want your food to taste Malaysian add coconut oil.

if you want your food to taste more American add mayonnaise.

what about mustards, like djion or whatever, or basil, my mom uses it alot on meats, also got anything on vinegars?

Some good advice so far.

For azn food look for Lao Gan Ma chilli oil (chinese), Sambal Olek (thai) and gochujang (korean). These all taste different and add a bit of heat and a lot of great flavor to dishes.

Chinese dark soy sauce sparingly for colour.

Kikkoman/ Yamasa soy sauce (or chinese light soy if you're poor)

Chinese cooking wine (make sure to cook it off)

Mirin (sweet, use sparingly)

Sesame oil (put in sparingly at the end)

Toast peanuts and sesame seeds to garnish

Rice wine vinegar (or any vinegar)

Tamarind paste (adds lovely fruity sourness to dishes)

Fish sauce (use in place of salt)

5 spice powder is good with meat

kikap manis (the dark packet in indomie migoreng)

Brown sugar or palm sugar

Fresh garlic ginger and chilli

I use white wine vinegar for dressings, apple cidar vinegar or rice wine vinegar for marinades and sauces, and white vinegar for pickling.

Fresh lemon or lime juice is also great to add at the end for acidity (don't cook it).

Garlic soy sauce and ginger go with Asian dishes, peanut sauce and seasons oil too if you want to get fancy. There is this paste that has a bunch of stuff that I never remember the name that's great too, it's peanut based I think

Know op if you go to the store chancs there will be some labeled spices blends. its nit the best but if you are going to buy twn different spices you don't even know if you are going to like just buy the blends, some stores make thier own especially if they are ethnic and those should be good too, better than Walmart shit, the only problem is that if you buy their blend even if it lists everything inside you don't know how much of each thing is there so ask the clerk how much you should use

These are really helpful thanks, I'd still like to get enlightened with the use of dry spices, and maybe some recipes too if possible i bought salmon yesterday thinking of future cooking with spices, anyone has any idea on how to cook it? should i just salt/pepper it? i heard it's good with honey & baked

I never used spices on salmon, some people use herbs
I just salt it and cook it in a pan with some butter or olive oil, I like to eat it with rice and mayo tho so Veeky Forums would probably hate my guts

This post gave me cancer.

Cayenne adds heat and little flavor
Paprika is great on most things if you like it's taste.
Try some quality curry powder, if you like it, it adds a nice variety to everyday foods. I put it on tuna salad sandwiches.
For herbs, oregano and tyme are the most versatile in my opinion.
Finally just buy something like Ms Dash, it will be a lot better than nothing

how about marinades? grandma used to bake it too or poaching maybe?

If you live in the US, Penzey's Spices is a really great source for high-quality spices and really versatile spice blends.

>pic related, add to EVERYTHING
>salt, sweet ancho pepper, onion, garlic, Tellicherry black pepper, Mexican oregano, cayenne red pepper, cumin, chipotle and cilantro

>Go on google
>look up several baked salmon recipes
>take notes on what the recipes have in common
>wow those flavors must work together
>hint: lemon will likely be one

Do a little fucking work here buddy

I'm going to sleep now, hoping the thread gets more attention at some other point of the day, using spices really interests me would like to get more of user's opinions, advice, tips on the matter

i've done that, i'd like to hear your recipe though, your thoughts maybe, you interest me.

spices are just different versions of salt or pepper. there are very few times you should add spice WHILE cooking, you can usually just throw some shit on after.

for example, if you make a big dish and it tastes a little bland when it's done, add some spice.

You know if op doesn't feel like stocking the pantry full some bag of 5 spice fried chicken blend made by some store isn't the worst, it's basically the same shit they sell separately only older and less quality

>salt, sweet ancho pepper, onion, garlic, Tellicherry black pepper, Mexican oregano, cayenne red pepper, cumin, chipotle and cilantro
that sounds spicy, i don't do well with spicy but i'll look for it, try it out

fresh garlic, ginger, chilli, fresh herbs, fresh lemon

garlic powder, onion powder, dried herbs, they suck dick. spices have their place but honestly experimenting with spice powders is not the way to start out cooking quick meals.

I honestly don't know if I've ever made baked salmon personally but I've had it. I would guess:
rubbing it in oil
Salt and pepper
Cover top in thin lemon slices
Some sort of herb on top of that, tyme maybe?
Bake until done.
Fresh lemon squeezed on, served over rice

Or you could just cover it in old bay

It's not really spicy, just smoky. Regardless, check their website for their other blends.

You should specify which powders. Because cumin, cayenne, paprika, and chili powder are legit as powders.

chili powder isn't legit, fresh chili or chili oils/ sauces are legit

cayenne pepper goes with anything, its the perfect spiciness

>spice papes

My guy. Unexpected aesthetics are the best.

what about grinding your own chilis to make powder

Has anyone here tried sumac?

I'm Iranian so I grew up eating that a lot.

To this day I've never put it on anything but rice and kabob.

I use Lebanese Sumac couple times a month Used it in a soup stalk today. Its fucking great in tomato based soups and meat-spaghetti sauce.

Fuck I should of written down my experiments with it in the past using it with a variety of stuff.

Somewhere to start a mix:
2-3tbps sumac
1 tps cumin
1 tps b.pepper
1 tbps ground coriander
1 tbs salt