Which modern scientist/mathematician inspires you the most?

Which modern scientist/mathematician inspires you the most?

none of them.
Ethics has destroyed science, and no one can come up with revolutionary stuff like einstein did.
As long as scientists will be constrained to work in one field by the richest universities, no good science will come out of it.
Too bad the french universities and schools are too small to be relevant. At least they produce polymaths, but science doesn't pay enough to interest them.

By modern do you mean living?

I've seen a few lectures from Lurie and he's really amazing at the board, you feel like you want to learn so much more by the end

In general, mathematicians seem to be less beholden to institutional bodies compared to scientists.

Cause all you need for math is a paper and a pen, compared to the various materials that you need to do an experiment in a field like physics, chemistry, biology, etc. Anyone can buy a paper and a pen, meanwhile buying a laboratory where you can do experiments is something only a university can afford, hence holding the users of said lab more in debt to the university in question.

Feynman and Popper.
Last two sane real scientists that ever lived.

>popper
>idiot who allied with ideological right wingers like Hayek and wrote a hack philosophy that got entirely dismantled
>good

Physicist Tom Campbell.

You're a nanobrainlet who didn't understand Popper

Elon Musk

"In my opinion [The Road to Serfdom] is a grand book … Morally and philosophically I find myself in agreement with virtually the whole of it: and not only in agreement with it, but in deeply moved agreement."
-Keynes

I liked this guys book. Has me pursuing higher maths as a hobby on the side.

Why does wojack always get fucked over by Pepe? God damn I hate that fgt froge

I like Grothendieck because he reminds me of my punk musicians.

Craig Venter

Dr. Michio Kaku, because he puts forth a very real effort to bring laypeople to science and make it seem interesting.

taleb
NDT
hawking
sean carroll
dawkins
pinker

it's rather embarrassing that my preferences are so wholly male

I find it hard to be inspired by remote famous people.
Probably not the expected kind of answer but I found myself inspired by my measure theory prof. Great teacher, demanding but not pointlessly hard, I really look up to him. I credit him for making me actually interested in math as opposed to "I need X to graduate". Over the last year I've entirely changed my projects and am now planning to go into applied mathematics and PhD in a related field if I can.

>Too bad the french universities and schools are too small to be relevant.
RIP my irrelevant degree.

>tfw enrolling into a french uni

It's also rather embarrassing how sexist you are. Why are you judging your preference on their gender? I thought we were supposed to see past gender and only look at people merits? And yet you're saying gender matters in picking a favourite scientist? Why can't you just pick them on which inspires you the most instead of what genitalia is between their legs? If this people you picked inspire you the most then that should be that. Sexist.

>there is no sexism in math

I had a prof just like that, user. I wound up taking 5 classes with him during undergrad and borrowing textbooks from him to catch myself up to his graduate classes, and he set up several special topics classes for a small group of us. Definitely the biggest impact anyone's had on my life.

>Forgetting about Whitesides

Popper
Sir Roger Penrose
Ghirardi

Literally what's the point of attracting people to science who weren't already interested in it at school or took their own initiative and read actual science books. Popsci shit has never attracted anyone to real science and is garbage.

saw this guy on numberphile

Don't generalize, unless you've a source of what you're saying

More secularism? ... Not sure if trolling.

Sal khan of khanacademy, Raymond Smullyan, Sanjoy Mahajan, Eric demaine, Terrence Tao

This. Lurie is qt

show me a source for saying that having a source is necessary and good

JVN is still alive, with Tupac and Elvis.

I think you would like the writings of Paul Feyerabend on epistemological anarchism. He's an ethicist who postured that science was a discipline that brought freedom from ideological constraints but we saddled it down with new ones. Needless to say, he was hated by all other ethicists because he was too based.

the evolutionary biologist at, I think its stanford. I forget his name. Gives brilliant lectures. Somewhat young.

I also enjoy Wildberger greatly.

Chomsky, but for his political and philosophical stuff more than his science. I don't understand or care for his science.

Susskind.

Sapolsky is great. I dislike Wildberger (from my own attempts to watch him, not because I blame his existence for memes) and while I have respect for Susskind I find him to be an awful lecturer personally.

>Sapolsky
Yes thank you, that's the guy. Yeah he's fantastic.