How do you prepare your salmon Veeky Forums?

How do you prepare your salmon Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KiBoTo1aZYE
justonecookbook.com/teriyaki-salmon-recipe/
youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

same
answer
every
thread

youtube.com/watch?v=KiBoTo1aZYE

/thread

I actually have 2 salmon fillets in the fridge i plan on using tonight. Haven't decided yet what to do but normally it's honey/soy or something like that.

This is my favorite recipe I've found for salmon so far
justonecookbook.com/teriyaki-salmon-recipe/

>removes skin
I love chef john but this saddens me

I've been called a simpleton but I normally just coat in salt, leave at room temp for about an hour, then pat dry with a paper towel before throwing it in a hot pan to cook both sides.

Hoisin and garlic

Skin is good stuff

coarse seasalt & sugar on top, place it in the fridge for around 24 hours or so. take it out of the fridge, wipe it down and cut into thin slices. that with ryebread and some sweet mustard sauce on top.
i sometimes i have dill and maybe even rosepepper during the fridge time

How long 1kg salted salmon last in fridge ?

honestly, i have no clue. i usually eat it in a day or two and never done it with 1kg anyways. sorry, i'll just guess around a week or something?

>how do you prepare salmon

I don't :^)

In a cast iron skillet, skin down for 3-4 minutes, then 30 seconds on the other side.
youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM

Roasted with garlic compound butter and shallots roasted in that butter with dill. Fondant potato on side. Same way everytimrle.

Why the fuck would someone remove the skin I've never heard of this before. It this like a 'cutting the crusts of bread' thing?

steam it in an aluminum foil envelope with thyme garlic lemon juice and olive oil

With my dick

bit of butter, salt and pepper then under the grill for a few mins both sides.

some people hate skin? My dad hates skin on any meat.

season with salt, pepper, thyme and lemon juice. bake it until its done.

To the people that eat salmon skin, is that because it's crispy when you have it?

Marinate in some salsa, orange juice, and maple syrup (not too much) with some chopped onion and bellbeppers overnight, ready to be pan cooked with the sauce and ingredients. Still the best tasting salmon I've had yet.

The skin soaks up omega 3 fatty acids and it just tastes good.

>is that because it's crispy when you have it?

Yes. Crispy skin is god-tier.

Soy sauce, cumin, spring onion. Hot pan. Fry. Serve. Done.

I'm curious as to why people bake fish so often. It just seems like such a bad idea compared to the alternatives:
-it takes a long time
-it uses a lot of energy to heat up the oven
-it doesn't yield crispy skin

I get that not everyone wants the crispy skin, but in that case why not just steam it in a pan with the lid on, or poach it?

butter and curry seasoning

18 minutes at 400f

I like my salmon a bit overdone deal w it

There seem to be a lot of people ITT who eat salmon regularly. I avoid it because I assume it costs too much. How much are you guys paying for salmon?

Not a single person in the thread mentioned the frequency at which they eat salmon.

Anyway, I usually pay around $10/lb for fillets.

Same. I eat it raw and it's awesome.

Same. Raw is king.

I season it, tightly wrap it in foil and poach it in the dishwasher.

I usually just do sesame oil, soy sauce or tamari, ginger, salt, pepper, and either sriracha or ground chili paste or wasabi rice seasoning. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or so, depending on the thickness. P good.

I can get it on sale here between $4-6 a pound, regular price is closer to $10.

Anything but dill is savagry

pansear in low-medium on the skin, turn when its almost done for like 1 min

Is this real? I'm intrigued.

its like a shitty sousvide if your dishwasher manages to hold temp., but yeah, you can essentially cook perfect fish under hot running water in your sink if you feel like mcguyver

By far the best method, one-sided frying:

>remove the skin
>place skin side up on a very hot cast iron skillet with a good amount of oil or clarified butter
>fry for 1-3 minutes over the stove
>put in a 250 C oven under the broiler for 10-15 minutes more
>remove from the oven and detach from the skillet with a thin metal spatula
>turn over on a plate and garnish with a sauce, a glaze or whatever

The cooking times will wary depending on your equipment and the thickness of the fillet. Some trial and error is required. If you did this correctly you'll have a fillet that's perfectly browned and crispy on one side (the pretty side) and soft and succulent on the other. The idea is to not flip the fillet at all, so the bottom stays soft and you have only a minimal layer of overcooked fish. Frying the one side for a long time also produces a very strong crunch, much crispier than you could achieve by frying the skin.

This is one case where a well-seasoned cast iron skillet is a godsend, because you want something that can take a lot of heat but is also relatively non-stick, so you can detach the fillet from the pan without making a mess of it.

Try preparing it "Mi-Cuit" I usea sous vide, but you can get the same result with hot water and some attention....

add salt and sugar (plenty of both, and in equal parts) to cold water and drop in salmon. use more than enough water to cover fish. let sit for an hour. remove, pat dry, and either vacuum seal, or put in a bag evacuating as much air as possible... dont go crazy though... just need it sealed... drop into 104F water for an hour... then put right in the fridge (still sealed/bagged/whatever you did to keep the water away from the fish) for about 12 hours....

result is lovely... similiar to your method, but the result is less sweet, but now it will flake but still looks raw. fantastic for composed salads, etc.... but I usually grab a hunk and eat for breakfast.

How does one preserve the crispiness of the skin when pan frying?

No matter what I do to crisp it it always turns soggy 30 seconds later before I can eat it.

don't eat it at all

Stick it to a board and put it by the fire

what do I do with frozen salmon?

Coat that shit with some sort of miso/soy marinade if you want something different from the typical butter/lemon/garlic/dill.

>tfw devouring smoked salmon straight out of the packet

Nothing better.

>is that because it's crispy when you have it?
Yes, but moisture kills the crisp. I usually peel it off while the other side is cooking in the pan. Otherwise it keeps soaking up moisture from the flesh.
>skin side in pan
>flip
>peel off skin

Not suggesting that's the way it should be done. Just what I do.
Skin loves salt too.

in school we had a potato crusted salmon that was bomb, just peel & grate the potato, throw the salmon in some eggwash (skin off) then cover the skin side in the potatoes and sear, finish in the oven

depends on how its being served, just typical seared salmon should have skin though

see

I make a fresh mayo in the food processor with extra lemon juice and dill. Then fold it into a shit ton of ground up oyster crackers and cake it on top of the fillet. Bake until the salmon is done and crust is brown and crispy

Cover in sea salt, wrap in aluminum, put it in the oven. Break it up and mix it with chopped tomatoes and chopped green and white onions.
Also gravlax.

This is the best way to do it.

Salmon sure is pretty when it's raw.