If we dropped a Neanderthal into modern society, would it adapt, and if so to what extent?

If we dropped a Neanderthal into modern society, would it adapt, and if so to what extent?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/2010/100520/full/news.2010.253.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where does this Neanderthal come from? WormHole Quantum Mechanical Time Manipulator Engine Drive or is it cloned?

yes, president

Don't you mean TRUMP? Hahaha!

As of 2012 the neanderthal genome was sequenced at a cost of millions. I'll be damned if I'm a scientist with the ability to make neanderthal dna and i don't. They probably made a subject in secret. As that individual groes up, they will not seem beyond possible levels of weird human, and they may never know. Neanderthals are less social than humans, yet form deeper relationships and are less subject to music, etc.

Seeing as how blacks and abos struggle it wouldn't be a surprise if neanderthals did too.

Neanderthalers were actually smarter than homo sapiens
If anything they'd be like jews

top kek

To expand upon this, it is known that neanderthals did use tools and in fact were able to hunt a wider variety of species than homo sapiens.

(They also had larger brains, but that might not be an exact enough indicator of intelligence -- i.e., elephants have largest brains)

It is commonly believed that the reason that homo sapiens ended up dominating is that h. sapiens were less xenophobic (i.e., intermingled and inter-fucked more) and were more willing to take potentially fatal risks (e.g., try that mysterious berry that might kill you, but might also save your family; or grab a log and cross the ocean)

But elephants are smarter than humans. Can you shower using only your nose and a body of water? Not so smart now eh, homo?

im so smart i dont even need my nose to shower i just tell siri to start the shower and my command becomes real

no no not just larger brains, they had a larger brain/body size ratio, meaning they had more brain power than present day humans

Why are Neanderthals always portrayed like they look like half-apes? If any thing they probably looked like pic related.

Because humans are the weirdos of their family since we are the least ape looking hominids.

>elephants are smarter than humans.
That's a first I've seen someone say that. I do not think you are right

The Pythagorean Theorem states that it would adapt, but it would develop stomata and chloroplasts. The equation for this is V=dt

Cuck.

Angela Merkel tried this experiment and it backfired horribly

Not true but they are one of the most intelligent animals

>We will never find a secret hyper-advanced Neanderthal society a la Wakanda in the middle of Africa.

What's the fucking point of peace

>neanderthals
>in africa

Yes Africa as in the continent. We have six of them.

Well, they couldn't adapt any worse than Homo Africanus

Most people are scientifically and epistemologically illiterate.
Most modern humans have only adapted to simple protocols.
If a Neanderthal, which is mostly a cousin and barely an ancestor species, people wouldn't even notice.
He could be a gardener, burger flipper, MMA fighter or even a social science college professor.

That's racist.
There is no such thing as species between humans, we are all equal.

I dare you to find a single scientist who isn't a fringe lunatic who says otherwise.

If we dropped you into a Neanderthal society, would you survive?

Fossils have been found in Northern Africa actually.

An interesting theory. But not how it works. In fact, anything which did not learn speech at a young age tends to have a lot of difficulty in learning it later, and that speech and mental narrative are typically instrumental in a consciousness emerging. Basically, a modern day human raised under Neanderthal conditions (no real language), they'd likely be basically just animals. After a certain point, it's kinda too late to actually obtain sentience.

Oh, but to bring that back around, fuck no, a Neanderthal would be very confused and freak out and probably run in front of a car and die like a deer.

he was joking

That really depends, OP.

How high do we drop it from, and can we negate air resistance?

#refugeeswelcome

That's just another data which is based on correlation. We can go on till 2020 doing the same shit.

Everybody here knows leftie ideology is mostly a joke, but stop promoting their behavior and fuck off.

>I'll be damned if I'm a scientist with the ability to make neanderthal dna and i don't.
We don't have that ability. Eukaryotic synthetic genomics is not a thing yet, just because we know a sequence doesn't mean we can produce it. It's only barely viable for tiny microbial genomes at the moment.

The state of the art for getting desired trait combinations in complex life forms is still just selective breeding, although these days it can be done on a massive scale with genomic marking screens doing the selection very early in the organism's lifecycle to accelerate the process.

t. bioinformatician working in genomics-assisted plant breeding

Yeah, but OP's pic is definitely not how they looked. I'm sure they had broader somewhat more ape-like features, but the portrayal on OP's pic is definitely how they looked like.

So basically Asperger's.

*genomic marker screens

I guess you could still do just that, though it would take many years, lots of funding, and millions (billions?) of dead embryos sacrificed for the glory of Satan.

we need a campaign for this

Nah, it's probably better to to just wait for DNA synthesis to get to the point where it's viable for purposes like that, it would take ages with that approach even if it is pretty metal.

In plant breeding we're mostly looking at quantitative traits so getting there incrementally over many generations to slowly improve yield makes sense, we're actually getting something slightly better at each step.

Gradually getting to a neanderthal genome like that would be very expensive and inefficient.

>If we dropped a Neanderthal into modern society, would it adapt, and if so to what extent?

Ah! You mean the last REAL human race?

amrite m80s?

They gravitate towards wrestling.

Giants aren't Neanderthals senpai

Dude can the iphone really do that theough some sort of app? Seroious question

neanderthals were kind of small, around 5'0 but stocky

no doubt if they were alive today they'd be attracted to Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums board where the endless denigration about their manlet status, no matter how physically strong they were, would eventually drive them to extinction brought on by mass suicides. In fact it is believed by some that this is what lead to their first extinction and it's supported by the frequent appearance near neanderthal death sites of stones depicting stick figures unsuccessfully reaching for apples in trees. It is believed early homo sapiens used these mossy stones to as messages to intimidate neanderthal men and afterwards proceeding to mate with their females. This is likely why the human genome today contains a small amount of neanderthal dna.

Neanderthals wouldnt care about being short since any male neanderthal could easily break your ass up in a fight. Heck female neanderthals could manhandle human men.

My research shows that after a short period of adjustment, he would become a high powered New York based attorney.

god you're a fucking idiot

>t. bioinformatician working in genomics-assisted plant breeding

Frog working in pond goo. we should fuck.

But really, i'm the user and i liked your response. I know polimerace chain reacs make more dna. so thats just to say we already have an effect over it.

could we take a strand of heated one-sided dna, pour the next gene amino acid in the sequence into the bowl, let thousands build or whatever, put into the next bowl rich with the next block, blast the mother with an electron laser at one block past the previous block and allow the next block to overbuild before putting it in the next brock's pool, etc.?

>this is what elves actually belive

from what I read, Neanderthals were pre-historic weeaboos and that was the main reason of their extinction.

All the chad Homo sapiens were banging the fem Neanderthals while the males were at their mom's caves shit posting on walls.

Shit, I'm a Neanderthal

10/10 post

Do you have any proof Neanderthals did not have speech or could not learn speech?

And doesn't your argument fall apart for Mutes?

*ba-dish

Haha, don't you mean Oba.. - Hil, i mean Bill Clinton?!

[Citation Needed]

PCR is for DNA amplification, i.e. copying fragments you already have, putting them in the proper order is the real problem.

Also there are methods for DNA synthesis more efficient than what you describe, but:

1) the cost is on the order of $0.20-$0.50 per base pair, which would mean at least half a billion dollars for a haploid human genome of over three billion base pairs
2) the current practical length limit of synthetic sequence length is on the order of several thousand base pairs, so you actually can't do anything near to it even with the budget demanded by 1)

Note that Neanderthal genome(s) have been "sequenced" in the sense of human genome resequencing (i.e. amplified fragments were aligned to the human reference genome and differences between them were recorded) instead of de novo genome assembly. By analogy, the most practical way of creating a "Neanderthal" genome with current technology would likely depend on selective mutagenesis, breeding, and genetic engineering in an effort to progressively sculpt a modern human genome into a Neanderthal one.

I recall people mocking the old Jurassic Park movies for mentioning bird genomes being used in creating the park's dinosaurs, calling it just technobabble to handwave technical difficulties and inaccuracies, but in reality this sort of reconstruction by homology seems like the most sensible approach.

this is what manlets actually believe

What is the purpose of this question?

Why do you ask?

Veeky Forums - Veeky Forums = /r9k/

Veeky Forums + Veeky Forums = r/chad ?

this one adapted

>implying anybody on /r9k/ is physically trained

I'd say {[(/b/ U /pol/) U /a/] - Veeky Forums}

There's actually a documentary on this called Encino Man

There are much cheaper ways to do large scale gene synthesis, but the thing is we don't really have a reason to do large scale gene synthesis, which is why the cost of DNA synthesis has remained relatively constant.

We could do this, I mean fuck we were able to synthesize a bacterial genome with 1.1 million base pairs 6 years ago:
nature.com/news/2010/100520/full/news.2010.253.html
And that was with click n' clack mechanical DNA synthesis machines.

>There are much cheaper ways to do large scale gene synthesis
There really aren't. Well, there are - in development. We're getting progressively better but the state of the art is as I've described and already much cheaper than the instance you cite.

>We could do this, I mean fuck we were able to synthesize a bacterial genome with 1.1 million base pairs 6 years ago:

That cost over forty million dollars. The smallest eukaryotic genomes are a hundred times larger.

We are getting there, but we DEFINITELY aren't there yet.

>smallest eukaryotic genomes
Meant to say "smallest animal genomes" there.

are abbos another hominid race that survived until today because there was no competition in kiwi continent?

how come I know this guy is russian

racism

blurred russian flag in lower left?

>Just

epikkk legion /b/rothers for the win

Neanderthal would vote Trump

It looks like Kevin Spacey.

How do you know? They could have looked like furry full apes for all we can tell.

Another generic response pertaining to the assumption that you're obviously being completely 100% serious here and not joking around at all.

>tfw no qt femdom neanderthal gf