Is /r9k/ right, Veeky Forums?

Is /r9k/ right, Veeky Forums?
Does helium really kill without pain?
What are the underlying mechanisms here?
Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qzJ0wciKRQw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you don't sense a lack of oxygen in your blood, only a build up of CO2

CO2 goes out

no O2 goes in

cells start to die without you feeling it

Oh you feel it alright, you feel it like a drug.

Hypoxic hypoxia is a hell of a way to go.

>What are the underlying mechanisms here?

your consciousness is instantly transferred to another branch of the universal wavefunction with no remembrance of what happened in this one

any (physiologically) inert gas will cause death by asphyxia, nitrogen being the most frequent cause of accidental death

Don't do it, OP. Helium's too precious to be wasted on you and your death, you worthless piece of shit.

Literally this, if you wanna die just go sit in a car with the exhaust put into the window when you're 10/10 drunk

I thought catalytic converters prevented this.

yes, nitrogen and argon will due the same

are you from some future where cars have perfect emission systems?

/thread

wouldn't you still feel a certain amount of discomfort? before you pass out c02 levels will be rising very rapidly in between exhales. Not super painful, obviously not enough to stop you if you want to kill yourself but i'd imagine old people would have some trouble.

OP should drink antifreeze. It will poison you, and tastes sweet.

Came here to say this

Build up of co2 is what makes you have to breathe, not the lack of oxygen

They mix commercial canisters like for balloons with oxygen, around a 1/5 mix.

Even then a great deal of helium suicides end in failure. Wussing out during the long wait, or tearing the bag while semi conscious.

There are hundreds of failure stories to be read and laughed at.

I think the whole exit bag meme was just a cruel joke to begin with.

Fucking moron.
Catalysts in any car post 80s or so prevent that shit.
At most you're going to cough.

What you can do in a small room is to set up a small diesel generator and get CO poisoning that way.
Or a diesel generator in the car, alternatively use charcoal

Why would CO2 be rising very rapidly?
As long as you exhale, it's leaving.
Helium doesn't make you produce more CO2
A lot of people die because of nitrogen and they never saw or felt it coming.

Hypothermia is also another way.
Get a floatation device and with cold enough water + alcohol you'll go pretty quickly.
Could also do it with snow but frostburn is nastier if you suddenly decide you don't want to die.

Or you get a long extremely strong dyneema rope from an online sailing shop and do that around your neck and then you drive in your car.
It's like a hanging but a car engine is much stronger than the gravity on your body.

They're good enough that it prevents suicide.

It's completely painless. Hypoxia will cause you to feel dizzy, euphoric, nauseous, and generally out of it. Without proper blood oxygen saturation, loss of coordination and confusion will set in, followed by a degradation of motor skills. Complex tasks, and then basic tasks, will become impossible to complete, and eventually you will pass out due to the lack of oxygen provided to the brain. Once you pass out, oxygen starvation will kill you. Pretty simple, though carbon monoxide will do the job quicker because of the hemoglobin's affinity for CO and displacing the oxygen.

wew lad

Store bought helium contains oxygen just so you cant kill yourself with it

CO poisoning is somewhat unpleasant though.

only one way to find out................

If it is so precious, then why is it so cheap?

Checkmate atheists.

T h i s

Here's how to kill yourself with helium.

>buy helium bottles
>buy balloons
>fill balloons with helium until they can carry your weight
>cover yourself in gasoline
>fly with the helium balloons above a crowded place
>set yourself on fire
>pop the balloons
>in the last seconds of your life enjoy the confused faces of normies seeing a burning man falling from the sky

this

Exit bag is a legit way to go if you're actually intent on doing yourself in

It's Kavorkian approved

>Subconscious dissolution in the continuum.

Esoteric album.

No, you won't feel anything. Your brain doesn't know the difference between helium and oxygen so it won't panic. In fact it will render you unconscious in about 20 seconds. Dead in 5-20 minutes. The only part that might fuck up is your brain realizing it isn't getting any oxygen. You'll rip off the mask while being unconscious and wake up with a killer headache.

get a tank of nitrous instead and remember life's worth living

This

no it isnt nigger

Youre fucking retarded. Catalytic converters dont remove carbon monoxide, and they arent meant to prevent people from killing themselves. They only exist to lower emissions. If you dont believe me go try it, the world needs less morons.

seconded

Underrated post.

>Helium bag
>/r9k/

Nice, you'll be a pussy even when killing yourself, fucking joke m8

What is the amount of helium needed to kill a person?

>Catalytic converters dont remove carbon monoxide, and they arent meant to prevent people from killing themselves. They only exist to lower emissions.
What "emissions" do you think they lower?

The original purpose of catalytic converters is to catalyse the oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, to reduce the health hazard of car exhaust. More advanced (now standard) catalytic converters also break down oxides of nitrogen into nitrogen and oxygen.

They're not perfect, but they do remove carbon monoxide and greatly reduce the efficiency of automobile exhaust as a means of suicide. You can neither count on car exhaust to be safe nor count on it to cause harm in a reasonably prompt manner.

Ok let me rephrase, they dont remove all carbon monoxide. It takes very little to kill you. Like i said, prove me wrong, come back and post results, or (hopefully) dont.

Retard

youtube.com/watch?v=qzJ0wciKRQw

>If you dont believe me go try it
I've been sitting in my garage with my Tesla Idling since that post and I'm still not dead.

/thread

They remove enough that it takes hours instead of the minutes it used to take.

>head drugstore with 20 bucks
>buy potassium chloride
>buy syringe
>kill yourself
It may be a little uncomfortable but you'll pass out 20sec after the cardiac arrest, make sure no one will find you and resurrect your shitty person in the next 15min otherwise you may earn some extra brain damage

desu i feel like the tried and true shotgun in the mouth (properly aimed at the brainstem and that stuff) is the way to go

only issue is its messy

Bonus points if you suffer too much brain damage to still be able to kill yourself, but too little to no longer want to.

This

Please ask someone to post results OP

Industry record are plenty of fatalities caused by workers entering confined areas full of inert gas, dying while thinking it was all right because they was feeling nothing.

I also remember an accident some years ago in my country caused by a dirt-poor 5-members family living in a 15 m2 (about 160 sqft) shanty town shack who lit coal in a dried milk can to heat themselves at night. They went to sleep and no one woke up in panic/distress to threw the shit out after CO replaced O2. In fact they never woke up anymore.

Helium kills without pain provided you don't screw it up by breathing the gas directly from cilinder (which can cause embolia and barotrauma), opening the valve much more than enough (the cylinder has a hell of a pressure, so calm down!) or making direct contact with the (freezing) gas jet.

If you don't want to use a bag you can enter in a tiny room (maybe a lavatory or even a closet or a bathroom box) with the cylinder - and some booze, why not? However you should estimate both room and gas volumes with a generous "security" margin to grant oxygen depletion, put the cylinder at the floor (since helium is far less dense than air), and it's recommended to get a sweater because gas decompression causes room temperature to decrease.

It's a meme. You will feel it and you will die slow. By the time you realise this the damage will be done

Nitrogen is fine, but don't use CO2. Just because you are leaving doesn't mean you have the right to help destroy the planet.

Wrong attitude. He's more likely to provide an efficient storage mechanism.

>5 replies
>underrated

It displaces the air in your lungs and because you don't get pain from lack of air, you get pain from increased CO2, it is painless