Why haven't we discovered the process that leads to self-awareness yet? The anatomy is there...

Why haven't we discovered the process that leads to self-awareness yet? The anatomy is there, the regulation of everything in our bodies is done through electrical impulses or chemical vesicles and the mechanisms for a large part of those are well-understood. So, how do a bunch of neurons sending APs across your brain form coherent thought and self-awareness? A computer is not self-aware, so processing information isn't what concerns me here, although it's still very interesting. I'm genuinely not trolling, it just baffles me to see it unresolved.

Probably all of them chemtrails and the fluoride put into the water amirite

I was honestly expecting someone to at least post a study before the shitposting. fml senpai

Opie, there are trillions of cells in the human body.
We have only the vaguest generalized sense of what's going on.
Come back in a thousand years and ask again.

real self-awareness is mathematically impossible >> godel's theorem

Because there is no process. It's not an "emergent" property. It's an intrinsic property.

thanks for writing down how you feel, but we're more interested in actual discussion

Highly developed perception organs are the cause of self awareness, its takes a certain threshold of mental development for an organism to become self aware like us humans but this would be very rare on most alien planets with life. The cetaceans and elephants are also self aware as well.

You will never understand.

>there are trillions of cells
and for the most part we know what they are. Obviously not from every individual cell but as units they have a specific function, mediated by chemicals to maintain a homeostasis. The biochemistry is extensive but its a basic formula.
>philosophy
cool af theory desu

Well most computers nowadays have the awareness of a jellyfish, and most animal life that isnt birds or mammals are basically robots made of meat puppeted by instincts.

>>there are trillions of cells
>and for the most part we know what they are.
>The biochemistry is extensive but its a basic formula.

But you're specifically asking about the interactions of hundreds of billions of individual cells, then acting surprised that we don't understand an incredibly complicated process because we understand the actions of an individual neuron.

You can learn everything there is to know about a single transistor, but still not know a thing about computers.
It's like you're saying I should know all about fluid dynamics, just because I know a water molecule is one oxygen atom and two hydrogen atoms.

>meat puppeted by instincts
You can't really demonstrate that that's not what we are.

There is too much emphasis on "self" in the question of awareness. It's not the most mysterious or even a very important aspect of awareness.

Your frontal lobe is the only reason you arent screaming like a retard right now. I find the frontal lobe the most interesting part of the cerebrum because its the creator of human free will by suppressing our automatic instinctive commands from our reptile brain.

If? We live in a virtual simulation,then only conciousness is fundamental,the rest is a probability distribution.

You must be a blast at parties.

That is due to our consious mind not being logically efficient enough to make instincts no longer of use in humans.

It only allows the reptile brain to get what it wants better. Without the reptile brain, your higher functions are useless. They are a tool. Like a hammer or a computer without a user. The frontal lobe does nothing without reptilian willings to guide it.

If you take everything purely on logic, there is no reason to do anything. That is why people with damage to the midbrain are incapable of decision-making.

I don't go to parties.

???
Dude, that's just sad.
You deleted your post to unlink these comments.
You really are a twat.

No, I corrected a mistake. I missed an "a" in front of "hammer".

Does that make me a twat? Yes.

Well user emotions are there to give reason to our actions.

Youre trying to get an overview of a forest, by studying the moss on the trees.

I suspect it's like a built in block, a key part of our being that we are incapable of comprehending even if we were given the answer.

I think the frontal lobe can be considered as being responsible for second level instincts. It regulates first instincts, but it is still acting in favor of some need or benefit to us.

Probably because we hardly understand anything.

>A computer is not self-aware

>Why haven't we discovered the process that leads to self-awareness yet?

What? What the fuck are you talking about? What is your definition of "self-aware?" Reacts to itself? The list of things that don't react to themselves is much shorter than the things that don't.

>The anatomy is there, the regulation of everything in our bodies is done through electrical impulses or chemical vesicles and the mechanisms for a large part of those are well-understood.

Again, what the fuck are you talking about? "The mechanisms for a large part of those are well-understood"? Are you fucking high? We're not even close a thorough understanding of even a single cell let alone a fucking brain. What have you been smoking?

>So, how do a bunch of neurons sending APs across your brain form coherent thought and self-awareness?

What is a thought? What is self-awareness? You still haven't defined these yet you are assuming we are all "aware" of the definition you are using.

>A computer is not self-aware

Here we go...

>so processing information isn't what concerns me here, although it's still very interesting. I'm genuinely not trolling, it just baffles me to see it unresolved.

Try looking at the world from a bird's eye view OP. Tell me which objects are self-aware and which ones are not.

The biochemistry can be modeled with a basic formula*

holy shit is that the illuminati with a tie hehe your cpu is messing with your head

Hint: the answer can only be found in quantum mechanics

>The list of things that don't react to themselves is much shorter than the things that don't.

What's the difference between awareness of self and awareness of other? [spoiler]No difference[/spoiler]

Dude, we barely know where or how you store knowledge of the sound [sh], that's why

there is no magical line that has to be crossed for self awareness unless you are stupid and define one.
how is a computer not self aware if he reads sensory data from his cpu and an algorithm decides that the fans should speed up?
god fuck why should there ever be arbitrary borders between things? life or not, intelligebt or not, conciouss or not.
people always set some stupid lines and then act as if there is a fundamental difference between concious and unconscious beings wtf

You are not self aware