Native fruits and vegitables

Ok, look at the image.
Could anyone from the Eastern united states identify this?
If you don't know it's called a pawpaw and before I got bored one day and looked around for native fruits and vegitables, I had no idea either.
And I still haven't eaten it.
So this thread is for discussing and discovering fruits and vegetables in your nation you might not have heard of.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_coccineus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's an apple tree in my backyard

I found OP in Veeky Forums, I don't think I will eat it though.

I work produce on the east coast, and just the other day a woman brought in a couple of these paw paws that she had picked herself. She started telling me about how Thomas Jefferson had a paw paw tree and that it isn't normally stocked in grocery stores because of its short shelf life. I tried it, and it was really custardy, and a little sweet. Then the next day a couple comes in asking for fucking paw paws. And now I see this thread. The fuck is going on. Apparently they're also working on a more shelf stable paw paw.

According to the BBC program QI, North America only has one native vegetable....the jerusalem artichoke.

They're not commercially viable due to their short lifespan. From what I remember, they are pollinated early in spring by flies which is somewhat less reliable than bees, no idea about beetles, so rotting meat is used to attract them.
Anyway, there are a lot of native fruits to choose from, but most won't make it to the supermarket for one reason or another. For example, beach plums don't consistently fruit year after year. There's still a $10,000 prize from the '40s available to anyone with a beach plum that fruits year after year. Also, native persimmons are tastier but they're a niche product since they're smaller. They make much better dried fruit as well. If you have the time and money, there are a lot of interesting plants to explore from a culinary perspective. If you want to get really deep into it, native culinary herbs are largely unexplored and probably underutilized. There are some resources online, but I suggest hitting the books if you're actually interested in these sorts of things.

That's a good point
Got any suggestions?

Who the fuck trusts the British about anything culinary?

name another North Murrican vegetable then cunt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_coccineus

central america is NOT north america duh

Potato

South America is not north america either. Your education is very questionable

Look at tree and shrub identification guides printed for your area with keys. Budget cuts may have killed them. For herbs, forbs, etc., I can't tell you what to look for since a lot of these don't even have pictures and may not have been seen for decades. Usually they're is a listing of native plant species by county or parish, but they really only include the type of plant, name, and how it common it is. Trees and shrubs are a lot easier to start with.

Anyone who so much as steps foot on South America and doesn't try the dizzying variety of potatoes and tomatoes is failing themselves.

It's sad how many people think a potato is either black or white and that's it.

Pumpkins and sunflowers

pumpkin originated in Mexico. Sunflower provides seeds. Sunflower is not a vegetable

Mexico is in North America you silly bastard

But it is you tard look at a map

So you think you own Mexico????!!!! Why does Trump want to build a wall to keep his own citizens out? Your argument is stupid. Mexico is a different country.

so you think you own central america as well. why not go the whole hog and claim to own canada and all of south america too. dipshit

Not him but you're a fucking idiot, Son.

what are you? an illegal from spic land?

Y'all confusing north america as a country and north america as a continent.

THERE IS NOT A COUNTRY CALLED NORTH AMERICA

thats what hes saying genius

No im aaying the poster is a potato because it doesnt fucking matter

None'a dis matters

They're in season and there are more foodies now so people care more about shit like that.