Empanada Thread

I want to make some empanadas today. What are some creative filling ideas/combinations?

I've never had a banana empanada before

I'm actually thinking of incorporating sweet plantains in with a savory filling, or I've also seen recipes where mashed sweet plantains are used as the dough.

Can't make up my mind, probably going to experiment with a lot today. Going for savory fillings over desserts though.

Pls share your empanadas.

Here are some empies I've made in the past:

>steak egg & cheese breakfast empie
>coconut curry chicken empie
>roasted peppers, basil, and fresh mozzarella empie
>pesto chicken empie
>pizza empie (pizza sauce & mozzarella, amazing drunk food)
>portobello panang curry empie
>coq au vin braised chicken empie (shredded wine-braised chicken w/ sauteed mirepoix)
>duck confit, hoisin sauce & scallion empie
>braised pork belly and sauteed shredded brussel sprouts empie

banana + nutella empanada = GOAT

What's the difference between those and Cornish Pasties?

chistorra and provolone

philly cheese steak empanada oh lawd

seconded

>Supermarket has great empanadas
>Like a solid restaurant 7/10
>Never has meat, only chicken, cheese and onion and the rest I don't like
>Finally have meat
>Filled with raisins and coated in sugar
Fuck you and fuck people charging 2 dollars a piece

Caramel empanadas, popular franchise made them before it went under and they where great
Also try different dough's and try them fried, people don't often experiment with filling but dough and cooking

this is why you make your own user
they're simple and easy and customizable, theres no reason to buy the store made ones

>Chicken
>Not a meat

Shrimp (or any seafood) and cheese
Mushrooms, corn, palm heart and cheese

I'd like to make empanadas. Anyone want to post a good recipe they like?

>I want to make some empanadas today. What are some creative filling ideas/combinations?
I'm from Miami. I've had empanadas from every culture, and every quality. I love picadillo fillings the most where the piquant shines, where the seasoned meat is just filled with delicious olives, capers and raisins. Good picadillo (cuban style) with have a richness that includes wine, saffron, zesty pimento all reduced. Dominicans will do it different than colombians, etc.

There's a few famous jamaican patties places in town. Now I love a good mild and hot jamaican pattie both for their different chile flavors, but a couple places had some variety and a family recipe or two that was unique from the rest. One place used to make a ginger-lime-rich lobster empanada by special order for parties.

Another makes a veggie curry pattie that was good for your 2nd pattie ;) It was filled with lots of collard greens, carrot, green onion, and I can't remember the rest, but there was a hint of coconut milk in there, and a nice thyme flavor such as you'd get in jerk seasoning. It was not starchy filled with tubers, but just softer greens.

Another place made a pink filling of just "plantain" in name, but the filling was not overly sweet, only the sweetness from the plantains, but did have all the heavy hand of aromatic spices of a pie but only allspice and nutmeg. I think it simply had a drop of red food color. It was not dessert-like but this scented savory thing.

here ya go, found a plantain pic

There is none. Cornish miners went to South America and made pasties using local ingredients and thus the empanda was born. It's the same with the Jamaican pattie and Mexican pasty. Someone is the same with a pastel but I can't remember where.

>Raisins

Just put some fucking ground beef with some hispanic spices that dominicans or puerto ricans use.

Potato chorizo and cheese sounds like it would be good.

Well by your fucking standards a mc donalds apple pie is an empanada too isn't it?

beef patties are beef patties. even if theres no beef in them.

can vouch for coconut curry chicken, there's a food truck nearby that sells those

that's bullshit
at least inn Argentina, british presence started around the first half of the 19th century when they came to work as miners and in railroad contruction, but the empanadas were already a thing well before that
latin american empanadas came from the spanish... it could be that those are derived of the cornish pastry, but the actual fillings of the traditional spanish empanada differ wildly from the cornish pastry fillings so it could really be just a case of "parallel thinking"

broccoli, bechamel sauce and cheese

no, really, try it

Oh fuck yea, was having banana nutella crepes like a madman in Greece this summer, would definitely work in an empanada too.

Try a spinach pie filling in an empanada, just look for a spinach pie recipe with feta online and fill it up.

oy fuk u m8! all the good things in the world only exist thanks to the greatest nation on earf and our queen!

Yams, black beans, and chorizo

I was curious, so I looked it up. While it is true that a lot of Cornish miners emigrated to Brazil, apparently empanadas appeared in the northwest Iberian peninsula around the same time as they were establishing trade routes to India in the late middle ages, and are thought to be derived from similar Indian pastries. The first record we have of a Cornish pasty is from the 13th century. They might be related, but they might not. It's imposssible to tell. That said, most cultures around the world have some sort of "meat and veg in a pastry" dish meant to be carried and eaten on the go.

Google search Al Andalus

The Moorish kingdom? What about it?

they wuz kangz etc.

Spic pasties

This is an attempt at mockery yet the information is correct.

mendoza are the only real empanada

>Fuck you and fuck people charging 2 dollars a piece
What the fuck murrica, they are 50 cents tops here.

>flour empanadas
>not superior harina pan empanadas

>What are some creative filling ideas/combinations?
Just make the chilean version, everybody loves it!