Alcohol Damage

Anyone have any recent research on the lasting effects of alcohol?

We all know extended periods of heavy drinking can lead to brain damage, and this damage can take years to be restored. What is heavy drinking though? A year of getting wasted every night? Or as little as a single week of extreme binging?

What about lighter drinking?
Is nightly red wine a myth?
Does having a single beer a night do anything harmful?
IQ?

There are studies that show a glass of wine a day is actually beneficial, so I'm sure alcohol, like almost every other edible substance, is healthy only in moderation.

I can only think of substances like lead or mercury that do damage to you without a lower limit on their concentration. These are substances that are not healthy in any amount. Alcohol is alright as long as its in moderation tho.

>What is heavy drinking though?
Defined as 5 drinks a day for males and 3 drinks a day for females.

>A year of getting wasted every night?

>Or as little as a single week of extreme binging?

>What about lighter drinking?
Studies go back and forth arguing garbage correlation/causality points and generally doing poor science. From my own poking around, negative affects stem from binge-ing and the accompanying "kindling" effect (google that term), as well as malnutrition. Light drinking can disturb your sleep if you have the drink immediately before sleeping, which will affect your quality of sleep (and so would translate into the same effects as shit sleep)

>Is nightly red wine a myth?
From the above, you can certainly have red wine nightly. It will probably do fuck all one way or another. Have it if you enjoy it.

>Does having a single beer a night do anything harmful?
See above.

>IQ?
It's a garbage measurement, but figure that unless you're wrecking your liver, the only negative effect would be busting up your sleep. This would affect your problem solving ability the same as sleeping like shit would in the short term.

Conclusions: Drink light, drink during the day.

P.S. It is a known and acknowledged carcinogen though.

>Defined as 5 drinks a day for males and 3 drinks a day for females.
I know you were trying to make a point, but it did not answer my question. If someone had 5 drinks one night and never drank again. Does that person now have to wait a whole year for the effects to go away?

Heavy metal poisoning is the only kind of poisoning you can think of?

Its one of the few that is damaging at any concentration. Most organic poisons are safe at low enough doses(nicotine, caffeine), but there's no amount of heavy metals that isn't damaging.

are you autistic or just stupid?
you're clearly just a retard

tahnks for contribootin to da thread

good Veeky Forumsence post
Google "kindling". It's the relevant source of damage from consistent heavy drinking. There's associated weight gain, cancer risk, and shit that isn't relevant to measure in a damage/repair sense. Either will vary by person.

Depending on how hard you binged, you may cause severe damage with acute alcohol consumption. 5 drinks will probably not do much, but I encourage you to look for research on acute alcohol consumption (there is quite a bit). The liver is really good at healing, and can actually return to full functionality even if you lose 70% or so. There is also other damage than liver damage, as alcohol is a known carcinogen as noted by, but you are less likely to find it as outcomes in studies about alcohol consumption and health since it is not as pronounced

You ever played those games where if you go outside of the middle or inside of it you get points taken away?

So drinking a 40 oz malt liquor every night isn't heavy drinking, if you're male?

bump

>There are studies that show a glass of wine a day is actually beneficial

Pop science m8

Studies of long term alcoholics and liver damage usually have patients that drink in excess of 100 grams of pure alcohol per day, for several years. This is about 2 liters of 5% beer.

Less than 60 grams per week have no indication of any possibility to cause tissue damage, that's only like a bottle of wine per week.

Regular long term usage will damage your body. even if you don't die from your liver collapsing you do increase your risk of colorectal cancer, pancreatic cancer, gastric cancer and probably half a dozen other cancers.

>Does having a single beer a night do anything harmful?

Without any underlying condition it's relatively safe. But again that assumes you don't do any binge drinking on the weekends either.

However the risk of daily alcohol usage means that you're inching closer to the risk of withdrawal symptoms if you stop. A single beer won't lead to it, but if you step it up during your vacation and take 5 beers, every day, for two weeks then you can suddenly find yourself suffering from it. From this perspective it's better to take two beers every second day because you don't have time for physical adaptation.

Also Alcohol withdrawal is serious shit. It's much worse than opiate withdrawal and if you get into delirium tremes then mortality can increase to ~20%.

>Its one of the few that is damaging at any concentration
Everything have a LOAEL. You can of course hypothize that it causes undetectable microdamage but why not refer to it as no damage at all instead?

Is it as moderate towards non-europeans? Ie those broadly without drinking culture to influence genome

> Ie those broadly without drinking culture to influence genome
I see someone's got a good head start on those 5 drinks

I've observed my nonwhite friends get drunk easier/more cheaply and I'm wondering if that has health implications to boot. Natives are prone to alcoholism for instance

They can thank scotchland for that

is a dumbass

takes a lot more than 2 weeks of moderate drinking to get alcohol withdrawal dude. one beer a day or two beers a day or whatever is never going to get you anywhere even fucking close to it, you wont even get any symptoms, if you do they are 100% placebo. to get serious alcohol withdrawal to the point where its crippling or life threatening you have to be drinking a fuckload, like 10+ drinks everyday for months on end, like basically constantly drunk for a long time, not just habituated or getting a buzz every evening. opiate withdrawal takes a couple weeks of getting high to be a serious problem, not months of hardcore abuse.

OP. alcohol in general is not good for you. of course your body can handle it so just like refined sugar or trans fats you can have a little and be perfectly fine. any amount of heavy drinking is bad for you, whether its one night of getting hella fucked up or getting drunk every day for a year. getting really wasted is really bad for you because it fucks up your entire metabolism and everything. but the longer you do something harmful the worse you will harm yourself, that much is pretty simple.

1 glass a day of wine is good because of the antioxidants and such, the alcohol is such a small quantity to have no real negative effect.
1 beer a day is still harmless but it's not good for you, all it has is alcohol and carbs.

I guess we can be dumbasses together, you re-iterated each point I made. Except for the bullshit about antioxidants.

alcohol is literally a poison

"one glass of wine a day" is pop-sci bullshit that is falling to the replication crisis (thank allah)

it's very likely that if you have 1 or 2 alcohols per day it's not the most risky activity you engage in, and if minimizing your risk profile consumes exhaustible willpower, maybe you should start by working on other behaviors

but there's no beneficial amount of drinking

I get hammered pretty often and have no problems

this