Small plate vs Portion Control

Can eating on a smaller plate really help you lose weight? My friend is doing this and I don't get it.

Other urls found in this thread:

healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-surprising-psychology-of-unhealthy-eating/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It probably works if smaller portions leads to you eating slower, but seems like a gimmick that gets circumvented easily.

I would think the theory is that some people might be conditioned to serve themselves so much food that it covers the plate completely. If someone does that then using smaller plates would mean less food would be served.

But all of that hinges on the "fill up your plate" serving strategy. If someone does it differently then it wouldn't matter at all.

My mom also does this but she sometimes goes back for more because she's not full. I think it's more of a visual brain trick or something. Idk.

I tend to eat much slower when I'm eating from a small a plate.

I think the point is that there's a pause in eating between emptying your plate and getting more, but you have to make an active decision to get more. So that way you're more likely to quit when say you're only 80% full compared to when you have a bunch of food left on your plate when you're at the same level. But it's like a snooze button on a clock I guess. Once you get used to it, you learn to abuse the system.

I think that works, you might be able to trick your brain into thinking you already ate enough, specially if you take your time during meals. Remember to eat more times during the day and smaller portions, you should be able to not fell hungry doing this, which will allow you to increase your metabolism.

there is no easy way to loose weight

>Once you get used to it, you learn to abuse the system.

This. The best way of loosing weight is actually making a conscious decision and stop trying to make everything automatic/easy.

it prolly can work but why not just eat smaller portions?
how weak can a person be to resort to gimmicks like that?

actually there is, nothing hard with eating less and exercising a bit.

>how weak can a person be to resort to gimmicks like that?

Everyone knows the solution to weight loss: eat less and exercise more. But people don't want to do that because they're lazy gluttons. So they're always searching for the "magic bullet" to solve that problem, be it a special fad diet, or a pill, or whatever else.

I can't be arsed to explain it all, but basically the less convenient it is to get more food, the less you'll eat. Smaller plates combined with putting the leftovers in the fridge is probably twice as effective.

See here: healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-surprising-psychology-of-unhealthy-eating/

actually you cocky NEET piece of shit, as someone who tries to cook healthy and exercise it can be very difficult to work into a busy schedule. faggot

Apparently it's called the Delboeuf Illusion.

If you put a small piece of food on a large plate, your mind will tell you that you are eating a small portion and you will automatically put more food on the plate. However, if you put that same piece of food on a small plate, your mind will tell you that you are eating a large portion and you’ll stop adding food.

Ihave no idea if it works. I just eat on a regular plate.

Maybe you should prioritize it over other things in your "busy" schedule".

Now maybe you are studying for the Bar while working on your Peace Corps application in between Army Reserve weekends and volunteering at the local cancer ward every day. But I doubt that. I bet your "busy" schedule involves silly shit that you could drop in order to allow plenty of time for exercise and eating healthy.

Protip since you're so busy: Eating less food will not only result in you losing weight, it saves time too!

You'll just pile the food higher than you normally would.

holy shit you babbling retard, I wasn't who you were originally posting to, I actually exercise and I dont have to eat as healthy because of all the exercise I do. shitposting isnt real exercise btw

this doesn't work for me I just pile the food up instead

The type of food your eating is what really matters regardless of plate size imo.

wait, eating less takes more time than eating more?
now that's some magic right there.
also if you can't spare, let's say 15minutes per day, you have bigger issues than being overweight.

Probably not. It won't be a lasting change.
A better way to get control of portion size is to record everything you eat. I've been using the MyFitnessPal app (it's free), and I've lost 30 lbs over 4 months.

Are you guys seriously not comprehending he said cooking healthy not eating less? A lazy fatty lifestyle usually consists of fast food and processed garbage, because lazy fat people don't like to cook. To eat healthy and not be incredibly boring requires cooking or more money.

15 minutes lol, faggot i put over 250 miles on a bicycle per week and lift weights continuously at my job, I eat like a bear and am not fat, if not for my routine Id be a lard ass, used to be, preach your skinny boy faggotry somewhere else. some people are born lucky some have to put a lot more effort in it's a real thing

>250 miles a week

That's like almost 36 miles per day! Plus lifting weights. Fuck. How you manage to keep weight on is the question.

This. If most of your diet is fruit/veggies/whole grains/beans you'll lose weight since your body doesn't store fiber and water.

I put in around 50 a day on weekdays and more on weekends so 250 is on the low side, like i said I eat what i want, Im on the food board on my spare time. beer is good too. go by /n/ if you get interested in cycling some good guys and some faggy hipsters

i did comprehend that but he replied to me when i originally said "eating less and exercising a bit".
not my fault he couldn't understand "eating less"
reading comprehension isn't your strong suit now is it?

>your body doesn't store fiber and water

It doesn't metabolize those things either.

If you stick to not having a second helping, it can work by providing a maximum limit to your serving size. How is it so fucking hard for people in this thread to understand the premise here?

if you're too busy to exercise, you should be too busy to stuff your face, fatty

What the heck did you just flipping say about me, you big meanie? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Tiny Tots Program, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the girl's bathroom, and I have over 300 confirmed noogies. I am trained in Nerf warfare and I have the most gold stars in the entire kindergarten class. You are nothing to me but just another butthead. I will beat you the heck up with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my dang words. You think you can get away with saying that baloney to me on the glowy type-box? Think again, doodiehead. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of teachers across the USA and your parents are being called to pick you up right now so you better prepare for the spanking, junior. The spanking that wipes out the dumb little thing you call your playtime. You're in big darn trouble, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can wedgie you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed fartfights, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States PTA and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your dorky bottom off the face of the playground, you little poopypants. If only you could have known what serious punishments your little "smartypants" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your goshdarned tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you silly doofus. I will spray boogers all over you and you will cry about it. You're frickin grounded, buttmunch.

Smaller portions but wider variety really helps curb any portion control problems you might have. People are more satisfied eating 5 things than 3 things, even if the overall portion of the 5 is smaller than the 3. instead of meat, carb and veggies try going for meat, carb, veggies, soup and salad at smaller portions and watch your over eating disappear.

>busy schedule

but you wagecucks always talk about how you have 8 hours of free time a day

which is it wagie?

?

I find it hard to bulk because of work. If you have the time to stuff your fat face you're probably a garbage employee. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight.

Moreover, it's not hard to get up early enough to lift before the typical 9-5.

I work 60+ hours most weeks and still lift and eat well.

Works for me since I am used to taking one full plate eat it quick then go back to doing what ever I was doing

Just exercise you lazy fuck

Yes and its not a gimmick at all. Eating is a much more visual task than youd think.

You see the plate, your brain assesses its size and this will determine at what point you feel full. It's not just about eating slower, though that works, too.

Source: Lost 80lbs. Went from 230 to 150.

Only guy that got it right ITT.

If your filling up your plate with high calorie foods what difference does plate size really make?

Plate size and losing weight really only work if your eating moderately healthy(ish) to begin with and your not going back for seconds.

I get that it's a brain illusion trick but there's more to losing weight than eating on a smaller plate. Good food choices are more important.