Why isn't humanity farming this place with oil and methane? Energy crisis solved

Why isn't humanity farming this place with oil and methane? Energy crisis solved.

kek

the world is awash with oil and methane
enough for hundreds of years

antartic treaty

Then why are so many companies encouraging 'green' and renewable energy like we're losing fossil fuel?

>Energy crisis solved.
I don't think you can really call current energy production a crisis.
And at least in places like America, per-capita energy use is going down.

Artificial scarcity drives up prices

Because drilling/digging through 2 miles of ice that is constantly moving actually sucks pretty hard.

west antarctica > east antarctica

East coast represent.
Come at me, bro.

This. There is enough oil in Antarctica to keep us going for another 200 years, more probably at the North Pole.

>oil and methane made of fossilized biological waste
>biological creatures can live in ice

there isn't any oil in that place fucking moron

Biomass is highest at the bottom of the food chain, a lot of which can live in extreme environments. Next.

Hope of technological advancement. Not for the sake of green, but more about the fact coal sucks.

Why aren't we farming our asses for methane?

If technology evolves enought to render these somewhat useless undersiable(or maybe through legislation, because MUH ENVIROMENT!) then you will want to keep yourself in a position of power by keeping your share in the energy market.

But capita is going up.
We actually have been with some new biofuels.

No it doesn't. It's cheap and produces more output than any form of 'green' energy.

No one said we're losing fossil fuel (aside from pointing out the obvious that it is finite and unbounded expansion is capable of exhausting it), it's just relatively problematic to harvest and process for a number of different reasons that are non-issue for many "green" alternatives.

>>technological advancement
>but we have something good enough!! why advance!!

>technological advancement
>renewables produce less thanthe current technology
>G-greeen energy is better because oil is b-bad!

Only intelligent people in thread.

So we finally get out of the fossil fuel rut we found ourselves in. Dropping our reliance on oil means we would be forced to create more efficient methods to produce energy.

Renewable energy might be shit in terms of price to power ratio now, but you're a fucking retard if you think we cant do better than oil.

F U S I O N
U
S
I
O
N

>thinks technological advancements are better the day they are first conceived if they are ever worth paying any attention to
>measures effectiveness of a complex system using only one variable
>has no clue about resources involved in any complete process, only individual pieces
hurrrrrrrrrr

Why doesn't anyone trust that the free market will protect us from fossil fuels-related disaster? We are not going to just suddenly run out of oil and the whole world goes dark overnight. The price will get higher and higher as oil gets scarcer and more rare, and the market will have a natural transition to solar and other things as they become cost efficient.

>why doesn't anyone believe in the omniscient, omnipotent free market to deliver us to safety

What do you mean rut? Humanity has relied on fossil fuels since it invented using energy on a large scale. Before this it was burning cow shit for heat and using a river to move gears. Inventing anything better than oil would be tech magic.

Give me one example of a time when humanity ran out of a resource and it had negative effects.

>fossil fuel getting scarce ever

>he wants the rare nuclear accidents to be bigger, more damaging and add more scare to nuclear

Keep nuclear energy to making bombs desu

its illegal

LFTR
F
T
R

Make it legal then and make all countries benefit from all the oil, not just one superpower

see

>archaea can't live in cold conditions

why are you on sci

>more probably at the North Pole.

kek, who should tell him?

Because muh feelings.

Easter island ran out of trees. It was pretty bad.

Because it looks too much like a triceratops, 2spooky

Rofl, the north pole is a big hole leading to the interior of the planet where "extinct" snow mammals are.

Time and money op, I can't even fathom the cost nations would endure trying to survey and industrialize an entire continent stuck in everlasting Winter.

This won't happen until oil becomes rare enough that it costs less money to carry all the supplies and crew all the way down there along with extra equipment to keep the oil and people from freezing and then haul it all the way back plus the consequent international conflict.

lol no shut your dick this is Veeky Forums everything is because of politics and sjw libtards and muh emotions

JUST SPEND TRILLIONS AND GET MORE OIL WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Also one of the most accident prone energy sectors. Coal soot is famously bad for health of miners. Greenhouse gasses.

>He believes in climate change

You were spreading propaganda all along

Waddup, faggot.

West coast in the house

>>He believes in climate change
The physical/chemical propensity of a compound to cause a greenhouse effect doesn't necessarily mean I think it's actually happening.

Nooklear all teh wai

o shit

>hundreds
you say that like it's a long time

Aren't all the coasts north though?

The barrier to entry is pretty low. I mean, we put up a sign that says "must be this tall to ride" but you can really just walk on by it.

pretty much. Easier and cheaper to frak places like North Dakota. Although with falling oil prices all those fraking locations are abandoned until prices go up.

Eventually once oil prices rise higher than cost of drilling though moving ice, in sub zero weather were everything has to be flown in and out might start developing tech to pump out of ground.

>trust the free market
it has done so well in the past

Dust Bowl-era 'Murika ran out of water
Lrn2history fgt pls

>farming oil and methane
Lrn2farming fgt pls

Fine then. Extracting.