What will the first astronauts do on Mars?

So Veeky Forums what kind of work will the first few Astronauts once they land on Mars?

I know the main point will be to prove Humans being able to land / take off, but they'll still perform scientific work.

I'm thinking seismological experiments to try and get a better idea of the interior of Mars. Maybe also try and get geological samples to research the magnetism on Mars.

We currently and in the future have data have data from Rovers, but I'm assuming it's limited compared to what astronauts would be able to gather.

Any other ideas of what they'd be doing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1zMz4JQKgIU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>> seismological experiments
Can be done (better) by robots

They will mostly hunt for rocks, plant flags, look good on TV, and leave.

Rovers are getting better. We might even be able to do the same stuff humans could do sans photo-ops with telerobots. You put humans in orbit around Mars and have them control robots on the surface. It makes doing a Mars mission a lot cheaper

I agree, I think they'd be doing a lot of geology and chemistry, as well as set up some seismometers. I think something else they should experiment with is biology, like testing how microbes act in the low gravity and low pressure environment. I have a feeling that because the intensity of the sun is less, the photosynthetic process may be effected. Maybe since it's less energy, plants wont produce as much sugar as we expect and this could cause trouble for civilization there. They should also experiment with sending/receiving signals. Like I'm curious to know if Martians can watch Earth television?

Looking for fossils would be the best/coolest/optimal thing human would do on mars better than robots imo. A matter of rock manipulation and visual recognition in situ than no explorer would do on its own.

We can do low gravity biology experiments in space. Dumping microbes on Mars violates the outer space treaty.

With deep learning we can train robots on every fossil we have photographed

>Dumping microbes on Mars violates the outer space treaty.
sending a person to mars is already dumping microbes there. You don't have to bring anything extra, literally breath on a petri dish and you'll have your experiment. Also, do you really think that fucking treaty is going to last?
>With deep learning we can train robots on every fossil we have photographed
Martian fossils may not look anything like Earth fossils.

And why wouldn't the outer space treaty last?

>> martian fossils may not look anything like earth fossils
Then human geologists might not recognize them either

Way to ignore the main point of my post:
>sending a person to mars is already dumping microbes there.
The outer space treaty won't last precisely because of this. The human body can't survive without bacteria, and humanity isn't going to not send people to space just because of a treaty signed in the '60s. Besides, even if it does last, how will it be enforced? These are all political discussions anyway, and this is Veeky Forums not /pol/.

>Then human geologists might not recognize them either
They still have a better chance than robots do. And that's the point.

Look for cool rocks

>Dumping microbes on Mars violates the outer space treaty.
What? How would experiments on microbes violate the Outer Space Treaty? Which section prohibits it?

I dont know in which way it is prohibited but the reason is that we might never know if there actually was life on mars if we contaminate it

Unrelated question but how can people claim that reusable rockets will not be profitable?

Is that just handwaving because they can't/won't do it?

>What will the first astronauts do on Mars?
Fuck, mostly. Just like the first ones on the moon.

They fuck, they pick up some rocks, they fuck again, they play a little golf, they fuck some more...

Probably croquet.

Looking for a good water source since regolith extraction is energy intensive. Building minor infrastructure for following missions. Running a shitload of experiments that they brought with them. Driving and walking around looking for interesting things

Science the shit out of it.

>What will the first astronauts do on Mars?

Die

Use their selfie sticks.

How many times did you save this?

Fight pic related

Probably just live there for a while, really not much else to do on mars, we can't check the water for life as that'd risk contamination

You can do experiments on microbes or send people to Mars so long as you don't contaminate Mars. So you have to keep microbes inside a special container and sterilize it afterwards.

For humans, COSPAR does not currently have any guidelines for human missions to Mars, but has said they are not going to relax planetary protection requirements.

Most likely, for humans it's gonna be stay inside spacesuit while on Mars, maybe bleach it before going outside, burn all your shit, and stay the fuck away from anywhere on Mars with the potential for liquid water.

>> which section
Article IX of the Outer Space treaty.

>So Veeky Forums what kind of work will the first few Astronauts once they land on Mars?

realistically? Science experiments. Probably plant cultivation since that requires the most human handiwork.

play basketball and do 360 windmill dunks

Acting.

>With deep learning we can train robots on every fossil we have photographed
So the robot will be excellent at searching for ... Earth based fossils. A human, on the other hand, has this funny quality called curiosity that leads to unexpected discoveries.

Oh that's quite funny because we have artificial curiousity now:
youtu.be/1zMz4JQKgIU

Geologists certainly aren't trained on martian fossils, they will be looking for stuff that resembles Earth based fossils.

>Muh AI

Yeah fuck off. Human master race will always be above you fucking WEEB

Aeiou

Joking? Or did you watch just a few seconds of that video? The "interest" was rather random and we got hardly anything to explain how level of interest was determined.

Your comment on geologists suggest you are not familiar with research and the way scientists work.

Is it true that because of the tiny gravity of Mars, the human colonists will eventually have trouble returning to Earth because of decreased bone density and muscle strength? Won't the colonists' offspring eventually grow lankier and weaker as the generations progress?

Who claims this? Because the most intelligent people on earth don't think so. SpaceX, etc....

I don't understand this considering the atmosphere of Mars is less than 1% of the Earth, making it impossible for life? Essentially, its atmosphere IS a decontaminator?

we'll never walk on mars.

we'll be stuck here fighting civil wars and checking our privilages.

>Is it true that because of the tiny gravity of Mars, the human colonists will eventually have trouble returning to Earth because of decreased bone density and muscle strength?
Yes, though there would also be health effects while they're on Mars. It's something we need to learn more about and get better at treating.

>Won't the colonists' offspring eventually grow lankier and weaker as the generations progress?
Maybe?
That would require a large population living permanently on Mars for a very long time.

>I don't understand this considering the atmosphere of Mars is less than 1% of the Earth, making it impossible for life?
The atmosphere isn't suitable for human life. "Life" in general is pretty tough though.

Sending rovers in to settle planets is like sending robots in to wars for your country. Where's the conviction to stake your own life in the pursuit of a life of peace back home, or in this case, of new understanding and scientific progress?

>Make "manned" Mars mission
>It's really just a rover stuffed with weed and astronaut suits
>It lands
>Locate alien base
>Get them to dress up as astronauts and shoot some video
>Spielberg directing via Skype
>Hand over the weed as per the arrangement
>Rover returns to Earth
>FinalCutPro
>Release to the sheep
>Collect $100 billion for another "mission"

Get cancer from all the radiation they are exposed to

They'll fuck and make little Martian babies

Determine if it's viable to mine/live on. If not, collect some shit and data and go back to earth. But I'm sure robots will eventually determine that before we even land on Mars.

>we'll never walk on mars.
>we'll be stuck here fighting civil wars and checking our privilages.

If SJW like us win then what you say its true

if german nazis win then we will surely get to mars cause those guys are much better at rocketry than anyone else

me being a dirty nigger am screwed either way

BOOTS ON GROUND OR BUST

Public speaking, photography, and golf, duh.

JOHN MADDEN

watch anime

There are places on Earth that look an awful lot like Mars.

Designated shitting planet

Pajeet space program first to mars confirmed

Also check these

Musk is going to declare himself Emperor of Mars. Then unpack his Tesla Rover and go for a drive.

I sure hope they do lots of digging. Maybe they could find piles of gold under the surface of Mars, then space exploration will take off because it will be extremely profitable.

Impressive, managing to be a consipracy theorist for an event that hasn't even happened yet!