Intelligence

Roughly, how much time would it take for us take some chimpanzees and through artifical selection make them as inteligent as humans?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koko_(gorilla)#Use_of_language
youtube.com/watch?v=SIOQgY1tqrU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

long time

also, why aren't we doing it already?

Because chimpanzees are dicks, and you don't want smarter dicks.

maybe they stop being dicks?

We do

that is like an abandoned experiment.
its like doing it but getting upset they dont advance enough and freeing them.

Unforeseen Consequences

the right dude in the wrong shenanigans can make all the bamboozle in the world.

>humans create IChimps
>combine take over eath. Replacing every human with an IChimp.

Everyone's seen Planet of the Apes. We were forewarned by time travelers.

Look at niggers.

They wont stop being dicks.

They're just not as advanced

Office Complex

5 million years.

Why that image is wrong
>One gorilla the, gorillas as a whole are pretty damn retarded.
>Koko has special human education, most Sub-Saharan Africans lack this because many African countries lack education and are in constant turmoil due to years of global politics
>Comparing an average IQ meaning due to variables the outcome would have many hinderings
>Cherry picking variables (You can take the smartest kid in Nigeria with an IQ of 120 and compare him to the entire chinese population and say that kid is smarter than the Chinese)

We need to do it or we won't be able to get any allies in the Uplift War.

you don't know koko is a scam? kek, do some research on how that ended.

Africans are dumb because of their genes not because of bad education systems. Medieval european childnre had worse education systems from modern africans yet still succeeded while blacks remain morons.

>Medieval european childnre had worse education systems from modern africans yet still succeeded while blacks remain morons.

Education is one part of the puzzle on making a morally just and righteous specimen. Lack thereof and you get what has been going on in Africa since colonialism hit land. Keep in mind West Africa breeded many empires, while not on par with other empires, they are better that what we see today. Medieval Europe also experienced a dark age, and were hindered, but regained footing due to their being room to breath and come back. West Africa did not receive this fate and is still trying to gain footing

>Medieval Europe also experienced a dark age
It is historical fiction

>nigerian americans
>dumb

Go back to /pol/, retard.

could you give us a hint? I didn't find anything about it, but I know that bonobos have their grammar and stuff (and fools who tried to teach bonobo speak "na" didn't realize bonobos don't pronounce this sound, probably they simply can't)

who do we have here? another christian fund-mentalist?

I just checked wiki and even it has a summary of criticisms: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koko_(gorilla)#Use_of_language

I remember one of Robert Sapolsky's lectures discussing it, skimmed around and it starts at 1:23:00: youtube.com/watch?v=SIOQgY1tqrU

It's not 100% worthless, but the meaning of it is hugely overblown.

This is a really interesting question, because when you look at the scope of human abillity, there are some extreeme outliers. presumably leonardo davinci, terry tao, einstien have similar brain volumes to regular folk but they are able to solve problems much faster. would a genius chimp be a normal human?
Obviously brain volume isn't everything, so why aren't we all geniuses? what limiting factors are there in our physiology and genes? if terry is 10X smarter than me, would a genius chimp be 10x smarter than other chimps or is the factor scaling proportional to brain size?

Roughly, how much time would it take for us to take some humans and through artificial selection make them intelligent?

I think it depends on how big your starting pool was, and how you chose them.
eg if you let the top .001 percent of a population breed out of a massive sample, the population average would shift much faster than if it was the top 1 percent or top 10.
The other issue is that genes are complex and some genes that increase the risk of autism are correlated in high IQ in people who don't have autism, but low IQ in those who do. This means it might be a balancing act and a little bit of 'illness' is good but too much is bad.

Thank you. I approve what he says about the films about Koko, but in the end he speaks of another ape (named Kanzi) that does speak the language.

Koko is a western lowland gorilla, Kanzi is a bonobo, that is significant. But yes, I was more dismissing Koko than suggesting the whole concept is impossible. You're welcome, I don't have a whole lot more to contribute.

now I read that wiki-article, and it goes like this:
A bonobo named Kanzi, who had learned to communicate using a keyboard with lexigrams, picked up some sign language from watching videos of Koko; Kanzi's researcher, Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, did not realize he had done so until Kanzi began signing to anthropologist Dawn Prince-Hughes, who had previously worked closely with gorillas.[30]

Takes about 25 years to turn wolves into dachshunds.

So... Maybe 50? Depends on which breed you start with, I suppose.

But we've all seen Planet of the Apes so we know not to do this.

If we can find the gene responsible for the amount of folds in the brain, especially ones responsible for the frontal lobe, shit

artificial selection, idk, what foods alter gene expression pertinent to the aforementioned things?

(You)