University Bullshit Thread

>be undergraduate student
>email professor I really want to work with asking if he has a research position available for me
>he says he would love to talk to me, and for me to email times that i am available to speak with him
>do exactly that
>no response
>wait a week
>reply again just in case he didn't see it
>no response
>4 internships don't bother emailing me after interviews even to tell me if I DIDNT get the damn job, so I'm left guessing if they are still making decisions or not and thus stuck with no summer job
>on top of all this my GPA dropped to a 3.5 last semester

I'm going to FUCKING LOSE IT

>took Chemistry 101 final yesterday at a community college
>professor keeps going near me and tries to look at what I am doing
>See him look at my test
>doesn't do it to anyone else
>sits right in front near me

Is it because I'm Latino or the fact that I never gave a shit about this fucking class and he knew it?

lmao same exact shit happened to me

How small was the class

The beauty of being an undergraduate.

30 students.

> study robotics
> task: build robot that can locate, collect and deliver balls at target location
> all other teams build simple tractor
> odd number of students so my project is solo
> i build fully automatic tank that fires the balls at the target location after right after picking each up
> all group final grades are the same, cause all the extra AI shit i did was way outside of the mark scheme

hue

how's your internet etiquette? some profs make decisions based on how professional you come off. decisions can be made in a blink of an eye to not even consider an applicant. or, given that it's summer, the prof might be away somewhere vacationing after a tough academic year.

>literally 8.99 / 12 for a class
>B+

> bad
Are you a Jew, Chink, or sandnigger?

Kek

I am always sure to be very polite and professional, but still get straight to the point (as much as I can)

White, but it came down from a 3.9 that I was very proud of all because i guess I didn't study enough for my Linear Algebra final because I got a B+ when I swear I should have gotten an A

just fucking go to your profs office. Christ you undergrads are fucking retarded sometimes

B-but it's summer! I live hours away from my uni, s-senpai grad student

>do coding
>everyone copies the same code
>use original more streamlined code
>not exactly what they wanted dspite proper output
>worse mark in class

You aren't getting into any good grad schools with a 3.5.

he thinks you're cheating

>Linear Algebra super hard
>study hard for final
>semester ends, grades come out, got an A
>no internships get back to me
>unemployed and depressed for summer

But user, no internship means you are free to study more math!

is Duke a good grad school?

>Euclidean geometry class
>First proof that implicitly needs the 5th postulate
>Professor takes the time to explain some history and also how entirely different geometries can be defined by considering other possibilities for parallel lines
>raise my hand
>Professor, when do we get to study those geometries?
>Never

I was just mathematically cucked.

At least he says that when we cover differential geometry we will get some fundamentals of those other geometries.

Depends on the field of study.

Did you literally ask when you would study non-euclidean geometry in a euclidean geometry class?

Are you the same latino guy in CC who always complains that his professors are racist?

> professors grad student son fucks up lab test
> blames it on me
> professor knows its not me
> kicks me out of lab anyways to make sure his son gets paid
> ended up not writing a letter of recommendation so i stayed back a semester

>good grad school
Enjoy spending $300k for that PhD and working for Mr. Goldstein while I'm out working and have a family. If you're not from a turbo-rich family or are a "minority", why are you even bothering?

>mfw rich normie cunts treat me like shit when I say I have to work during the semester

>married MSc advisor hits on a girl in the lab (asks for her panties and what not)
>she is disgusted and opens up to me about it
>we file a complaint and turns out dean also is a fucking rapist, they cover it up
>she gets close with me due to these intimate convos
>advisor fucks my shit up as he observes her getting close to me
sometimes there is just no way to win

this is untrue
you gotta chill

There are only so many things you can do with neuroscience ;-;, besides if your really trying your aiming for the ones that pay for it all

I see what I see. I get As and Bs even when I do think they are racist, so I'm not just whining because I had a bad grade.

You need to understand that the class is not explicitly Euclidean Geometry.

We have Geometry I and Geometry II, currently doing Geometry I.

When he mentioned the non euclidean stuff I immediately assumed that Geometry II next semester was going to be all about that but nope, I suppose Euclid had a lot of stuff to say, so much that it takes 2 semesters just to do his thing.

I will add that the professor was cool about it, saying that if anyone wanted to do their thesis on Geometry then he would teach non-euclidean stuff more in depth on top of the differential geometry class to those interested.

I may do that but first I need to take more set theory, number theory, algebra and analysis to be completely sure about what kind of mathematician I want to be.

>grad school
>costing money
Pick 1. You don't even know what you're talking about

You can with undergrad research experience and/or an undergraduate thesis

That is fucked up

Go to even higher ups in the university, threaten to go to the media if they don't investigate and have a hearing

Seconding this. What's to lose at this point? You're already fucked, so try to fuck back, it's your only hope.

>implying they're not all complicit, approving of much worse

oh to be naive

This. Everyone is seriously ill informed about grad school.

If she just breathes this on twitter/facebook/tumblr, they're would be a witchhunt.
Ofc...she could just be lying to manipulate him

you can't just set up a summer internship after the summer has already started, you would have to set it up ahead of time. and talk to the professor in person before/after class, or at their regular office hours. they probably get hundreds of emails every day. when you email them they could make a mental note to respond to you when they get a chance, and then just forget by accident, it's very unlikely that the reason they didn't respond is because they just think you're not worth their time.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and guess the field of Euclidean geometry was not developed solely by Euclid. Like I said just a guess though

I just look up the professor's office hours during the semester and talk to them in person.

Also don't expect people to inform you you didn't get an internship, jobs aren't going to tell you they are passing on you

Yes you can't trust chinks

holy shit this. OP, I felt comfortable enough to ask for undergrad research positions for chemistry at the beginning of April this year, and that was already pretty late and I felt pretty desperate. I emailed 4 professors, 3 of them never responded, and when I went to their office in person 2 of them never even saw the email b/c it just goes under their radar. They still said no because they just didn't have space (or maybe I seemed like an idiot, idk they were all quite nice about it). I'm working in another prof's lab now, but that definitely didn't happen from just waiting for them to respond to my fake ass email. Professor's are busy as shit, and if you expect to get paid for your time they have to allocate funding too.

Go after that shit but don't piss them off, be genuine and polite.

>spending
>PhD

fuck off redditor undergrad

that 100% legit senpai.
>task : do X
>everyone does : X
>you do : almost X

>sometimes there is just no way to win
maybe don't be such a beta whiteknight

>it's another nobody on Veeky Forums knows how PhDs work episode

Meanwhile, you're enlightened. How novel.

>what is opportunity cost

>but still get straight to the point (as much as I can)
you failed

wow everyone in this entire thread is such a freshman.

asking questions like Why should i learn this? as if your brain just doesn't have the "space" to fit all this knowledge.

i bet your parents are paying for you to go to university too.

i hate all of you. 0/10 would not hire.

>I suppose Euclid had a lot of stuff to say, so much that it takes 2 semesters just to do his thing
What are you guys doing?
Geometry at my uni covered euclidean, spherical, hyperbolic (Lorentz model), affine and projective geometry in 10 weeks.

It's like you didn't even read the thread.

Nobody gets a Ph.D. For money but you don't need to start out rich to get one. You can make good money afterwards, doing something much more fulfilling

> Submit paper back in March.
> Receive reviewer feedback about a month ago. Journal is high impact (in area), so extended lead time for revisions.
> Advisor submits paper during same time frame.
> Receives much more demanding feedback with the standard 4 week lead time for revision.
> Meanwhile, I work on two papers over the course of the month (my revisions, plus a co-authored paper) and a requested paper review. A week before advisor's revisions are due, advisor is "too busy" and dumps work load on me. Proceeds to fuck off to their office to watch shit on YouTube.
> Doesn't even understand physics behind paper they "wrote." I get stuck appending extra paper's worth of data to address reviewer feedback and re-writing paper since they have no clue how to handle topic. Will understand it even less after my revisions... guaranteed.
> Tells me today they don't like submitting things like this last minute...

I never want to work for Indians or Chinese again after this. Seems that every other American I've talked to working on their M.S. or Ph.D. in a majority Indian/Chinese group led by an Indian or Chinese advisor (a norm in STEM grad school) has the same opinion.

> mfw grad school single-handedly makes people racist, myself included, and /pol/ was right all along...

>take a class
>professor has a thick as fuck accent that no one can understand
>he asks questions from his lecture, which I can't understand, on the exams
>everyone in the class agrees that they have no idea what he's saying

You should raise this as a point to him then - they're usually very receptive about these kind of things and would like to improve their own teaching.

user is too busy internalizing racism to help.

Top kek

I don't get why this seems weird/alien, some lecturers even ask for typo corrections on whatever they've LaTeX'd whenever they make a mistake.

>I don't get why this seems weird/alien
It's alien to Veeky Forums, not to all. I agree with you.

>lecturer is a problem
>"oh hi there I have a problem with blah blah"
>"oh I'm so sorry about that I had no idea, I'll try to fix it"
>happy user happy class
Anything is better than staying silent and furiously writing about it on Veeky Forums later.

Most universities have a system in place whereby a professor's promotion track is influenced by teaching evaluations. That or if they bring in little grant money, then they can 'pay it back' by teaching additional courses.

They'll care to the extent that it benefits them, in most cases. Whether or not they show that fact anywhere other than behind closed doors is something else. Very few, in my experience, care about effectively imparting knowledge... especially true for research professors.

Perhaps that's how it works in the US, but here in the UK, or at least in my uni, the lecturers all have their own research and really care about the modules that they teach (after all, what's the point of doing research if no one can understand it in the future?)
This is especially true of lecturers for first year modules - they're very carefully picked to make sure that first year students get the smoothest transition from A-Levels to uni as possible since it's their first taste of "real" maths, so it should leave a good impression.

Had an organic professor who consistently took marked correct answers wrong and admitted it too.
>Oh, I know that what you put follows standard curved arrow notation but I prefer it this way. Yeah both are right, but this is my way.

There was one test question where she asked for the major organic product. She wanted the sn2 product but due to hard soft acid base theory the acid/base reaction product was the major product. I showed them textbooks and literature that proved I was right
>Oh well yeah this is right but I didn't go over that so you should have put this.
>So you're telling me I had to put the wrong answer to get credit?
>I don't want to talk about this anymore user

Why do departments let professors get away with bullshit like this

Seems like U.S. professors have a more 'sink or swim' approach: both to teaching and graduate studies, unfortunately (depending on your view).

Many professors I know here (both at big state schools and private schools) give zero fucks at the end of the day for their teaching... especially with undergrads. I don't agree with it, and I guess it's why I'm slightly jaded, but it's fairly normal here.

That's really unfortunate... is it the same at the top US universities?
I mean, for all I know it could also be the case of low ranked UK universities too.

Academia in the US is fairly consistent. It's an institutional drive at this point as funding becomes harder and harder to obtain and we graduate more and more students, especially foreign students. Sad, but true. I have colleagues in Ireland and Taiwan who tell me how different the funding situations are in other regions as compared to the US. Unless you're a superstar pulling in obscene grant money, the universities make you their bitch, to be blunt.

As someone who went to a lower tier uni for undergrad and is now at a top uni for grad school. As far as actually learning smaller unis are so much better. There were 200 students in the gen chem class I TA'd for. You could have objectively the best chem professor in the world and it absolutely would not matter in a class that size. During undergrad I actually got to interact with and discuss things with my professors and TA's. They also had the chance to do things other than lecture of a power point all class, which according to research on stem education is the worst way to teach. So I'm pretty glad I went to a 2nd tier small school for undergrad. I feel like I actually know more than my piers who came from larger research institutions.

This is a separate, but also equally important issue in the US. As institutional costs go up (i.e., they have to pay their administrative and superstar faculty over-inflated salaries to keep them, and thus their prestige), so does tuition.

Stack 'em deep and teach 'em cheap.

What's even worse is that in order to offset these 'costs,' many state and private universities are accepting a plethora of rich Asian students (mostly Chinese) into their undergraduate programs - REGARDLESS of credentials - to pull in insane out-of-state/international tuition dollars. Rather than spend that money on additional lecturers, improved facilities, etc., a lot of it will go to overpaid administration and greedy faculty who would jump ship at the next best offer.

The ivory tower is pretty fucked when you peel away at the veneer...

We have really nice grad programs for my uni where the interview process is actually just there to make sure that you'll be happy and compatible with the program - if you're at the interview stage then you're already good enough for the program, they just don't want you to waste years doing something that you might not like.
If you want to do something else, then they give genuine recommendations to other places that you'd be happy in.
That said, my uni has a big drive against depression - student happiness is a big thing here and there's a lot of support to help with depression/stress.

I guess that's the advantage of consistent academia as said?
Here (for maths at least) the differences are really big (for better or worse).
My friend goes to a top ten uni with mine 4th/5th and by second year I had already covered his entire course.
With your more consistent academia, the relationships that you build with people during undergrad must really count for something I guess.

Yeah, the school I go to is actually more expensive for undergrads just because it takes on a lot of responsibilities for the state university system and board. I mean the school is highly ranked and gets a ton of funding and grants so it's definitely the place to be for grad school. But holy shit it's a rip off for undergrad. Outside of the name brand effect what you actually get from the classes and professors here as an undergrad is shit.

>With your more consistent academia, the relationships that you build with people during undergrad must really count for something I guess.

The content for my gen chem and this uni's gen chem is like 90% the same. In fact, the test I had were definitely harder than what they have here. There's a lot of multiple choice and vomit this fact on the paper for points type questions. People think that community colleges and lower tier uni's are kindergarten compared to the big state schools but from my experience it's just not true in the US. And the worst part is the ego too. Like these undergrads think they're the shit because they go to this school and that they are so much smarter than people at various smaller schools.

Math is weird in the US. Very few students are starting calculus in highschool because
>durrr i lerned da pythagorean theorem but how do I do muh taxes public school faild meh
Is a horribly popular opinion. And our primary math and science education continues to become more and more simple. Meanwhile, first world European and Asian students are completing integral calculus by time the graduate highschool.

>tfw completed integral calculus before graduating high school
>tfw American

WOOHOO, I HAVEN'T FALLEN BEHIND

>tfw when I have a child he will not know any math and science by the time he graduates high school because America will have instated laws prohibiting its teaching within a few years
>meanwhile Europe and Asia will continue to beat America the fuck out in all subjects science-related

I also found out that calc 3 in murica= calc 2 in my country (it is in europe)

You are misunderstanding that some universities use semesters/trimesters and some universities use quarters. Calc 1 & 2 in the former system are equivalent to Calc 1-3 in the latter.

That has not been my experience at all in American universities. Professors I know have all taken teaching very seriously.

Your calc 1 and 2 are done before university in the UK...
Your calc 3 is done in term 1 of university.

Calc 1 and 2 can be done in high school in the US too.
That's what the AP classes are.

What's AP?

>Calc 1 and 2 can be done in high school in the US too.
It's compulsory here, you can't go to uni let alone do the STEP exams without it.

where do you live? i highly doubt its mandatory to enter uni

STEM PhDs are funded usually by the government because you are next in line to contributing majorly to society ( see Manhattan project )

>being Phd=major contribution to society

Just no

Advanced Placement. It's a program used to offer college-level courses and credits to high school students to make them more appealing to schools.

UK, it's part of the core syllabus that everyone takes.

This guy is right, I had an American lecturer that said a sophomore in Europe is at the level of a grad student in the US. Not even kidding.

>lel I learn my baby math a year earlier than you

>hurr its well known that every european takes 20 courses a semester and learns 5+ years of university level knowledge regardless of major by their second year
>im not in university yet but i believe it because an American lecturer said so and all university lectures are legit and 100% scientific and true and not sensationalistic at all with no other agendas than to put my tuition towards educating me

This is the point though - why are you wasting a good term or two of uni with baby maths?

I've seen calc classes in high school. They are all jokes.

I hear that you guys don't even have analysis until the third or fourth year?
How do you deal with metric spaces and topology since they're compulsory for research?

I have an American lecturer in analysis. Holy shit you sound butt blasted, this is apparently a common joke in academia because the European system is faster paced (I'm assuming it has something to do with electives not being an issue here).

Oh wait, I just realized I didn't indicate it was maths because THAT'S WHAT THE FUCKING SUBJECT WE'RE DISCUSSING IS

I have another lecturer who constantly spouts engineer jokes too. New ones every lecture.

Study maths at a top uni is pretty awesome.

What you talking about nigga I started analysis in the second semester

You know how it is. One European posts some apocrypha on Veeky Forums about American universities and then everyone else gets to post "I heard that American universities don't even..."

This

Which uni?

You're a moron please stop posting