Academics vs fitness

Do you really believe strength and intelligence are mutually exclusive?
Is this just jealousy from weak nerds who want to feel superior?
Or are physically smaller people really smarter than stronger people?

>Do you really believe strength and intelligence are mutually exclusive?
Me, no, most of Veeky Forums, likely. There are fit intelligent people. And I find no shame in boney intelligent people either, different personal values.

Yes. I don't know why it happens, but it's pretty clear to me if you just look at the types of people who tend to be strong, or rather, more masculine. Something about being very masculine precludes you from developing intellectually. I suspect it's because instinctual drives are stronger in more masculine men, and so they cannot override them as easily as some of us here can.

There are fit intelligent people. No one disputes this. But there is a clear trend all the same.

Neither are truly connected to any significant degree besides the minor boost in neurogenesis from aerobic and HITT training. Assuming you put the correlation data on the subject aside.

That being said, I would hope anyone who consideres theirselves to be smart would also be smart enough to see the benefits of exercise and fitness including strength training.

Hell no. The smartest person I have ever known was a good ole boy from West Virginia with an "awwww shucks" personality who went to the gym every day and was built like a freight train. It was funny because he was oblivious when girls were super into him (and they always were), but he would easily ace complicated physics classes with little to no effort.

> Is this just jealousy from weak nerds who want to feel superior?

I think that in a lot of cases you do need to chose where you allocate time, and thus whether you value being very fit or very well studied. There are plenty of people who can have both (not to mention that some studies show that people who exercise on a regular basis generally find it easier to learn and store new information than those that don't).

I'm gym bodies with the professor in charge of our group, he still squats like a beast even at his age.

I would say it's easier to be well educated if you're not physically fit. fitness takes a lot of time and effort, and that time is time you could otherwise spend learning.

A clear trend in your mind, unless you have a reputable study.

>fitness takes a lot of time and effort

Not really as long as you stick to a simplistic program with little fluff work. 3 hours a week would still be enough to dramatically change someone's life.

Yeah, you do 45 minutes per trip with 4 trips/week of HIIT and you'll be in much better shape (provided your diet doesn't go to shit).

No, a lot of STEM majors work out at the gym and are decently fit. It's the dumb people (normies and CS majors) that tend to be morbidly obese.

The less intelligent are actually prone to unfitness( fatness, bad habits, etc) if anything intelligence selects against some weaknesses whereas not contributing to strength.

Mankind developed civilization because of division of skills and labor. This divide of skills was so great that in society there are genetic markers showing correlations you are suggesting.

Though I agree with I will say that your point is a possible reason that a correlation may be observed. Learning to take care of your body when you have not done it is hard and time-consuming with a high likelihood of giving up, but if you've already made it a habit it will not impact your studies.

Anybody that thinks you can't have both must have a terribly dull lifestyle if they believe you can only make time for two regular activities.

As other anons have suggested, lifting and staying in shape requires a surprisingly small time commitment. There are also people who don't need to spend that much time studying.

If you spend 4 hours a day on here and 4 more hours playing video games, you might find it hard to squeeze gym time into your schedule.

vice versa actually, as if shit started out with cavemen assembly line producing wheels like good little insects, lmao

what are the benefits of strength training to ones intelligence???

I like how no one has cited a source here, and the majority defer to common sense.

People with a higher metabolism tend to have more brain power, because calories contribute to both nerve and muscle function.

When people are out of shape, there is usually some kind of food desert condition to blame.

Perhaps I didn't word my post quite right. Strength training has no benefits to intelligence directly however it's overall positive benefits for quality of life are worth the trouble by themselves and can assist in intelligence indirectly in certain cases.

One example would be preventing chronic back pain because as you can imagine, it's pretty damn hard to focus and make intelegent decisions on anything if you're constantly in pain.

>I like how no one has cited a source here

>People with a higher metabolism tend to have more brain power, because calories contribute to both nerve and muscle function.

If anything needs a source it's that statements. Metabolisms rarely if ever coincide with fitness or weight except in rare thyroid disorders.

>strength and intelligence
>mutually exclusive
Bullshit. Being a dumb lunk is a meme. Anyone who takes the time and has/developed the proper knowledge to increase there bodies' physicality to peak levels is obviously intelligent. I'd say Veeky Forums people are 'smarter' than so called academics merely by having the intelligence, foresight and apparent strength of character to want to better themselves physically. What use is being 'smart' if you lack the intelligence/willpower to strengthen and take care of your body? Also the whole 'strength vs. smarts' view isn't one anyone who'd call themselves intelligent should have and is not critically thought out at all. It's also a narrow and unintelligent way to view fitness and those who are physically fit. These two anons are spot on
And in the case of this
>not to mention that some studies show that people who exercise on a regular basis generally find it easier to learn and store new information than those that don't
It's backed up that fitness does make you "smarter".

Like anything in the modern day, it is ridiculously easy to access the information necessary to educate yourself on a topic, fitness is no exception.

Maybe in the past where you would have had to go out and read a book on fitness, go to a gym to witness proper form, and buy other books to understand nutrition, getting fit was too much of a time investment for an academic. These days you have no excuse to not find a basic routine and meal planner online.

Building up a sweat and getting my body pumped up 3 times a week at the cost of 45 minutes at the most at my colleges gym has done wonders for my well being and mental health. I've been able to sleep better because of the physical exertion and I also have more energy throughout the days which has made a noticeable increase in the lengths of time I can concentrate.

Google "Christopher Langan"

Fourth year chemistry and maths student here. Sorry for how fedora this is going to sound, but ever since I got into weight lifting and generally started caring more about my health, I've developed somewhat of a distance for smart but unfit/unhealthy/fat people.

Personally, I consider it a form of self-neglect to have the intelligence to succeed in academics yet not be smart enough or have the motivation to be physically fit.

A wonderful quote from Socrates highlights my point: "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

But to answer your question OP, physical fitness and intelligence are actually correlated (insofar as you consider being educated and intelligent the same thing).

Another fun fact, objective beauty and intelligence are also correlated.

Thus, some people really do seem to have it all (beauty, brains, and health).