So I was exploring a superfund site today with some friends...

So I was exploring a superfund site today with some friends. I won't specify which specifically but I'll say that it's one of hundreds in Western NY, (USA). We came across this pit full of an almost glowing blue liquid. The white powdery looking buildup along the bottom makes me conclude that perhaps it's acidic? I was t going to touch and find out. Can anyone here shed light on what I'm looking at? Nothing came up when I tried to research it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-22843481
google.com/maps/place/Lackawanna, NY/@42.8018368,-78.858721,185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d30fd229264915:0x6a6871468997ca42!8m2!3d42.8256141!4d-78.8233664
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>The white powdery looking buildup along the bottom makes me conclude that perhaps it's acidic
please explain how you came to this conclusion

It's a hypothesis more than a conclusion which is why I also threw the word "perhaps" in there. Salicylic acid reacts with organic material that way that's how I came up with it. Then again sulfuric acid turns sugar black so I suppose I can see why it's not a great hypothesis. I'm not a chemist and didn't claim to be. I simply asked if anyone qualified coils identify this liquid/occurrence.

Fucking use Google you faggot.

Reread the post. I did. That's why I'm asking here. I don't understand where the hostility is coming from.

Probably a photoshop. Move on nerd.

You explored a superfund site and didn't bring pH paper, or collect a sample to test with pH paper later? If you don't have pH paper, you can drop some of the liquid onto some limestone or chalk. If it bubbles, then your liquid is almost certainly acidic.

I took this photo on my phone? Acids being percolated into the soil is a common denominator by a lot of these companies. There's over 200 superfund sites where I live. The Manhattan project that took place in Niagara Falls 20 minutes away accounts for half of the worlds uranium. Here's a screen cap from a toxicology report of chemical dumping during the Love Canal incident. First on the list is various acids.

As points out, it's probably very difficult to say anything by just looking at a picture and knowing some facts about the superfund sight. But hey, I'm also not a chemist.

I wasn't there for that purpose. I will be back this week however and genuinely appreciate the pointers. If nothing else that's what I'll do so thank you. Still though, I'd like to understand why it's sitting in an exposed pool in the middle of a 5 square mile complex that has been abandoned for 60+ years. did it happen naturally or was it collected. I want to understand what I'm looking at.

This is true. The superfund site was formerly a steel Mill. I'll see what I can pull up about wastes.

If the ph is normal its most likely colored by calcite from the limestone.

>ph is normal

does "normal" mean "neutral"

Just found this. Apparently they are acid tar pits? As they remove waste from the site they hold it here until it can moved to a new location.

"The soil contains chemicals or elements such as ammonia, arsenic, benzene, lead and other semi-volatile organic compounds."

"The waste from the three sites is expected to be moved and consolidated at the acid tar pit location by the end of November, according to the DEC."

"That proposed containment cell already contains a pair of open tar pits with about 100,000 cubic yards of waste byproducts – enough to fill more than 30 Olympic-size swimming pools – from coke and steel production at the site from the 1950s to 1970s."

" The mix of iron dust, lime and other high-benzene content wastes includes naphthalene, arsenic, lead, pyrene, highly acidic materials and other chemicals. It’s up to 40 feet deep in spots."

obvious candidates:
potassium hydroxide (stuff that comes out of old batteries)
calcification
salt in saturated solvent

Almost glowing blue typically means that the water is so toxic that nothing can live in it. Most pools of water are not blue because algae and stuff can live in it. In addition it likely contains fine particles in the water column like really fine sediment, which contributes to the blueness via Rayleigh scattering.

Here is example of another toxic blue lake:

bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-22843481

pH was >11, but britbongs kept swimming in because it was clear and blue.

Thanks mate, for the insight.

>mercaptanes
OK, I guess the pong drove people out. At least those with a sense of smell.

>trichloro... benzo...
I guess those that remained are now dead.

>sulfur...
Cu and also sulfates can be a lovely blue colour.

There is a barrel on on the bottom, this shit scream "POLLUTED"

Maybe it's just salt?

google.com/maps/place/Lackawanna, NY/@42.8018368,-78.858721,185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d30fd229264915:0x6a6871468997ca42!8m2!3d42.8256141!4d-78.8233664

Didn't see this while I was there that's for sure. About 2 miles north of the blue pits is this green one. I'll
Have to
Check this out in person.

Welcome to Veeky Forums. People like thinking that their suffering is everybody else's business, just because they took a test that said they were speshul.

>exploring superfund site which implies full of toxic intoxicants
>find mystery clear blue lake with mystery precipitant
>oh I know lets go for a dip

fucking moron, you sound like the retards in horror movies that go in the dark room with the killer

Where did he say he was going to "go for a dip?"

I never specified what my purpose for visiting was. Just because I insinuated that I enjoy myself while there or look forward to returning doesn't mean it's a pointless or whimsical visit. I certainly never implied I would go swimming that's for sure.

algae

I'm wondering if these things are much less of a deal than they look. Maybe the blue ponds are just salty water left after melt? Maybe the city piles up snow it plows off streets there. Buffalo gets a ton of snow, and sometimes it has to be hauled away and dumped. Seems like a reasonable place to put it, where it will melt into the lake. Street salt is died blue and could remain.

Just a wild theory.

My educated guess would be that it is most likely neutral, or a bit acidic due to rain.

According to NYSDEC common minerals in NY are:
halite (NaCl), wollastonite((CaSiO3), quartz (SiO2) and Garnet (silica compound).
These would not impact pH.

The blue color is thus most likely to come from silica particles suspended in the water.
Silica give white precipitation.

Too little information. Take a sample to your local geology department and ask to see the hydrologist.