I Want To Believe

For the longest time, I thought UFOs were total bullshit, and most "sightings" probably have completely rational, conventional explanations.

Then I read about the 1976 Tehran UFO.

youtu.be/PeNrsSVlKdY

This is a well-documented Iranian military interception by fighter pilots. As a fighter was trying to get a lock on the thing, it disappeared and reappeared behind him, sent out some "orbs", and somehow remotely jammed his fighter's equipment (even the ejector seat) before speeding off and un-jamming the poor fighter pilot's jet controls. To this day everybody involved maintains it was "not of terrestrial origin".

Is it totally implausible that some far-advanced alien civilization with FTL travel and super-science we can't even comprehend would send out regular spy probes over a habitable-zone planet like Earth?

I'm not so sure anymore. Can you explain selective EMP like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5N3y0goXPZw
youtube.com/watch?v=yy7GOO7Y96Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats
youtube.com/watch?v=3jUU4Z8QdHI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_sensing
youtube.com/watch?v=fHfhorJnAEI
blogs.archives.gov/ndc/?p=426,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No. This is stupid. No aliens have visited earth. There is literally no way an alien civilisation even knows we exist. It is also incredibly pompous and arrogant to believe they would waste their resources on us.

And what evidence do you even have that this happened? A youtube video? Some asshat's eye witness testimony? The eye witness testimony of half a dozen asshats?

So a single person reported seeing some weird shit while alone and stressed, and you think that the presence of highly advanced alien observers is the most reasonable explanation for that?
Either you're a complete moron, or you actually started out with the conclusion of "aliens are here!" and are just looking for anything that agrees with your beliefs.

I've been browsing Veeky Forums for years and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone make an OP reply with their message immediately following the post number reply. It really threw me off.

GET THE FUCK OF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

UFOs are pretty much real. No matter how hard "scientists" and media will try to make you think otherwise, they won't change the truth.
However there is no ayys or flying tea plates. They are literally UDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you are retarded REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE discussing potential EBE's and their influence is entirely /sci related REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hold on there buddy, the point of calling it a UFO, where the U literally stands for "unidentified", is to emphasize the fact that we don't have a good explanation for them. They're legitimate phemonena, but the extraterrestrial hypothesis is just one (though more likely than others) potential explanation.

Do you hide your presence from ants? Why aliens should?

Why are people still going with ayys and UFOs? This horse is long dead... There are other mysteries and conspiracies to chase after, so why chase something completely implausible in the first place? Don't you think in 2016 people would've caught pictures of aliens? Don't you think it's weird that a lot of people claimed to see UFOs after the Roswell incident?

Seriously, just google top 10 bizarre phenomena or mysteries or some shit and you will find more interest and down to Earth mysteries than this shit.

I've seen a UFO.

I've seen a UFO too. There's a good chance it was an airplane though.

>Driving up a slight hill
>Ayy lmao ship swoops by, similar to speed of a fighter jet
>The turn it makes in the sky is ridiculous given its speed
>Red lights underneath, white star-like light on top
>No noise from it
>Had one car behind me
>Driver behind me had no reaction to it, his face was viewable from my mirror

I want to know how a flying ovaltine moves like that with minimal to zero wind resistance.

I'm on my phone. The easiest way to write a reply is to click their post number.

F-4 Phantoms weren't the most reliable planes and suffered failures every now and then, and who knows perhaps the Iranian crew could've also messed up too.

Be living in a totalitarian state. If one messes up one is fired, tried as a traitor, family evicted penniless, and spend years in prison being tortured. Be me in a fast jet, have major problem, maybe I cock up. What will I tell ground control? Lose my job or blame something else?

Dont believe stuff from totalitarian states.

test

wow, just fucking wow.

So i see your thread and go to the wiki of the incident to put straight those making uninformed claims and the article has been totally changed! Last time I looked at it it was a long page describing the incident in detail. Now it has bee completely re-edited to just three paragraphs giving the skeptic explanation and openly attacking anyone who suggested it was aliens.

Its not "the gubmint hiding the truth", they dont give a shit if people know about Tehran, its exactly what I always complain about on Veeky Forums which is that there is now this culture of shouting down UFO believers without even onsidering their side.

Even if you totally dont believe in UFOs yoy can understand that this complete bias has no place on a si called encyclopaedia. Compare UFO wikis with ghost or religion wikis. The latter skeptic arguments are i a section at the bottom, the former is constantly re edited by smug neckbeard skeptics to show only their argument that its bullshit.

>Go back to /x/

>>similar to speed of a fighter jet
>>The turn it makes in the sky is ridiculous given its speed
Assuming you didn't have radar trained on this thing, and that there was no way to judge scale, since you didn't know how big it was, what basis was there fore your estimates of its flight characteristics?

government doesn't even hide anything. it's just that nobodys listening and nobody cares.

This is whats happening :
youtube.com/watch?v=5N3y0goXPZw

And this is how interested retarded people are :
youtube.com/watch?v=yy7GOO7Y96Y

there were two planes chasing it, both planes malfunctioned as they approached it
It was reported by people on the ground before the jet intercept. That is why they were sent up in the first place.

Thet could not have made up a UFO story because they were sent by their base commander to chase a UFO. And the base commander couldnt have made it up because it was locals who phoned in to report the UFO

Dumb poorly though out explanations like yours just piss me off. Exactly what i talk about, complete ontempt for the phenomenon treating it as easily explainable ampfire stories when even the CIA ouldnt work it out

>even the CIA ouldnt work it out
>implying the CIA shares everything it knows with the public

I understand your frustration, user, but that argument is just retarded.

i dont know what to make of this guy, while i believe in aliens i refrain from claiming the goverment knows anything but why would a defence minister of Canada make this up?

what i am trying to say is that cia involvement showa its not kid ghost stories yet Veeky Forums haughtily treats it as such

I'm wondering more about all the alien nanobots that must be fucking everywhere.
Why would you ever fly around in a visible craft when you can spy on the population with invisible machines?

Thats just like, your opinion, man. An incredibly pompous and arrogant one at that, I might add.

>why would a defence minister of Canada make this up?
I'm trying to listen to this audio-morphine without falling asleep.
So far, he's just repeating things he's heard second or third hand.
Starting about 7:30 he's also going full-consipirtard about the "new world order".

>cia involvement showa its not kid ghost stories

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats

youtube.com/watch?v=3jUU4Z8QdHI
The stories of ayy lmao fucking with nukes is pretty interesting. Almost started crying like a bitch near the end where they proposed the idea of the aliens actually trying to protect the general population from nuclear war.

That's what I'm thinking. As much as I believe in alien visitation I just cannot believe even one world government is in cahoots with them. The USA can't even keep a blowjob secret. And the bit about aliens on Venus? At the greatest stretch I could entertain the idea of a small hidden alien base on Mars because we haven't seen much of it close up especially underground but Venus? Hell no (no pun intended). I think he's sincere but people just told him some baloney.
got any real references apart from one pop-sci book desperate for sales?
I know right? Alien actions make no fucking sense. If they come here to spy then why the fuck are they in big glowing saucers ten feet off of the ground? If they don't come here to spy then why don't they just eat us already?

They could be anthropologists and every good student know that you don't get involved with the experiment, you observe.

hmm maybe, who knows? I hope to see a UFO one day to finally see for myself if it is really convincingly alien spacecraft.

>got any real references apart from one pop-sci book desperate for sales?
You miss my point.
Some user claimed the CIA wouldn't trouble themselves with anything that wasn't 100% genuine.
I'm countering with clear evidence that US military intelligence isn't above chasing folklore in the hopes it might pan out.

>They could be anthropologists and every good student know that you don't get involved with the experiment, you observe.
Not him but...
You're missing his point entirely.
If they are trying to avoid "getting involved with the experiment", why are they interacting on the macro scale instead of of observing from the nano scale?

literally every nuclear weapons base has reported this. Funny how all the nukes shut down every time birds fly overhead...

the psychic studies determined every sigle claim was either a fake or poor testing. The ufo studies determined 95% was a fake or poor observation but 5% were unexplainable. That is equivalent to if they did find a claimed psychic who passed all tests but wasnt proven fake. Would we ignore that one guy uust ecause of the 95% fakers just like we dis with ufos?

>driver behind me had no reaction to it
Then it was a fucking hallucination you dumb piece of shit.

>ufo studies determined 95% was a fake or poor observation but 5% were unexplainable.
> That is equivalent to if they did find a claimed psychic who passed all tests but wasnt proven fake.
Not exactly.
But even if I found a psychic I couldn't debunk, that doesn't prove "muh psychic powers" are real.
Unexplained ufo phenomena don't validate any particular hypotheses.

no, it is illogical. A space faring species must develop logic or they cannot leave the ground. A space faring species would not send spacecraft into Earth's atmosphere nor make landings to kidnap people or any other bullshit you've heard.

I work in remote sensing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_sensing

And there's no need to send anything down to a planet more than once. If there is an alien species monitoring us they've come and gone and are now using remote sensing. We must look to another explanation for UFOs.

>aliens dont like japanese people

Exactly, so it's worth further study in order to ascertain what it really is. We did not do this with UFOs we just said "some aren't aircraft or known natural phenomenon, rather than search for the new phenomenon that is causing it let's just pretend it never happened"
> there's no need to send anything down to a planet more than once.
We drop rovers on Mars every Friday

Had to find the video
youtube.com/watch?v=fHfhorJnAEI

Remote sensing is getting terrifying. Imagine what alien species advanced enough to journey to Earth can do.

This has embedded assumptions about this hypothetical species and their nature. Efficiency and meaningfully coordinated observation might not be the intent.

My personal opinion is that "UFOs are weird." There's an enormous number of very good arguments against them, virtually all the explanations and stories behind them are clearly bogus, there's a lot of crackpottery in the community, most evidence is definitely mistaken identification, human error, or fraud; and good evidence is suspiciously rare.

Nonetheless, there's also such an enormous number of people who say they've seen them or seen confirmation of their existence that I feel uncomfortable trying to write them *all* off as mistaken identification or human error, and there's some really *weird* shit that happened like the Tehran UFO incident that's just too damn weird for me to explain without it feeling like special pleading. And hey, it turned out Roswell actually *was* a coverup, even if the government wasn't covering up a UFO crash after all. Too implausible and debunked to believe; too strange and well-supported to dismiss.

UFOs are weird. Hypotheses non fingo.

We can apply logic and reason to any species capable of space travel.

No other intent you can come up with would be logical. A species would not waste the effort to travel so far for an inane reason.

Kecksburg was a cover-up too. Again not a cover up of aliens but a cover up. This is why skeptics are as full of shit as the tinfoils are. Government declared nothing crashed in the area, they said the ball of light that people saw streaking across the sky was a Russian satellite that crashed in Canada. Not only did everyone report the light heading towards Pennsylvania nothing was reported as having crashed in Canada. Something was reported to have crashed in Pennsylvania, there were fire trucks, reporters and military personnel the works. Few years later NASA says no satellites were even in the area at the time, Then photographs were taken of the leveled trees showing something did hit the area and NASA weirdly retracts their last statement to say it was a satellite crash

To this day the NASA explanation is still used by skeptics as proof "the case is closed" even though they were previously quoted as saying "orbital mechanics makes it impossible"

No proof it was aliens but the take home message is that skeptical arguments can't always be trusted. They do the exact same thing jumping to what they want to believe that tinfoils do.

This makes implication about the amount of time it takes them to get here. If they are just popping their heads through wormholes on their day off from the saucer dealership then the inane visitations would make more sense.

Like I said, a lot of weird shit has happened.

I would be *extremely* unsurprised if some currently-unexplained UFO sightings were genuine sightings of still-classified experimental air and spacecraft. It's an interesting coincidence that people started seeing saucer-shaped UFOs right around the time the US Air Force were secretly working on experimental saucer-shaped aircraft, information about which is only just now being declassified. As far as we know, though, those aircraft never made it out of ground effect and the project was abandoned.
(See also: blogs.archives.gov/ndc/?p=426, which was only declassified in 2012)

We can try, but we're obviously extrapolating based on highly lacking information. It also assumes something about motion and location itself that we don't yet properly understand.

Either way, I'd agree it seems unlikely a given species would come and go often (whether in our small timescale, or otherwise), but the point is more around what is valid to assume.

I've been iterating on a story (multiple branches really, that all could take place in one universe) about aliens in Earth's history for quite a long time. The remote observation idea element is one I've thought about quite a bit. Brings to mind these supposed "cauldrons" in the valley of death I was reading about a few days ago.

Avrocar was a flop, it can't account for the sightings however I still consider it as UFO evidence because As you said about the coincidence I'm convinced that they got the idea from UFO reports.

>UFOs are weird.

"I will be disappointed if UFOs turn out to be nothing more than spaceships." - UFO researcher Jacques Vallee.

Jacques Vallee, who is one of the foremost commentators on the phenomenon, has been at great pains to point out that with the flying saucer phenomenon we're dealing with thousands and thousands of incidents per year, throughout the world. Even at our own primitive level of scientific sophistication we can learn a great deal about a planet by sending a single probe to that planet. What kind of scientific program of investigation requires thousands and thousands of appearances? And if we make the assumption that not all appearances are observed, but that in fact only a small number are observed, then the number of appearances that must actually be going on soars toward an astronomical number. It suggests we're dealing with an interpenetration by an alien dimension on an almost industrial scale.

Reality is not only stranger than we suppose, it may be stranger than we can suppose.

>interpenetration

jesus, dig harder man

Yo I got abducted by aliens once guys

They pose as humans.