Junior year in high school

>junior year in high school
>took average math, algebra II
>did well but it was average math so who cares
>senior year I wanted to take an "advanced" "math" class so I took AP stats
>I was surrounded by formed calc I and II students all year who lightheartedly teased me about being in such an "average" math class prior to then
>I ended up getting A's in both semesters of stats while most of the calc students got B's or lower (albeit a small handful did really well)

I know calculus and other actual maths are classified much differently than statistics, but does a person's skills in statistics have any ties with their skills in calculus, trig, etc.? Or are they two completely different things? Is it better to be good at one over the other?

>high school calc
There's your problem. They rote-memorized their way through an already watered down course.
Calculus shouldn't be taught in high school at all. They should drill the fuck out of kids with trig and logic to prepare them for the actually difficult courses. The whole AP thing is a misguided sham.

Stats isn't math.

This, don't ever forget it.

High school stats most definitely isn't math.

Took Cal in high school, breezed through it with flying colors. Took Cal 2 and 3 in college, and again, flying colors.

Got done with stats this past semester. Didn't go to a single class, didn't do any homework (15% of the grade) and only spent about an hour before the tests to get a grasp on things. Ended up with a C in that class.

Calculus was actually having to know the ins and outs of integrals and derivatives and knowing how/when to use them, Statistics was having to know what to plug into the calculator.

Have you never taken a course in mathematical statistics?

There is a reason there is stats... and mathematical statistics.

So you are saying that mathematical statistics is not statistics?

Statistics uses probability theory(math) the way physics uses math. So statistics is about as much math as physics is.

Clevergirl.jpg

This

Stats most certainly is math but in highschool, no not really.

Nothing is math in high school.

Your mom was math in high school.

O

I did mediocre in math throughout school. I nearly got a C in precalculus junior year. I took AP Calc the next year, got an A and a 5 on the exam, and have gotten As in every math class since up to differential equations.

Just give it a shot OP.

0/10. See me after class.

wow senpai you're really smart tbqh i'm so jelly
r8 b8 m8 poooooopooo
in the loo
DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS

i want to poo but not in the loo
oh such smart algebra II POOOOOOOOOOOOO

>>I ended up getting A's

m2 m8, 5spooky7me...isn't calc just a meme?

poooooooooooooo

When squidward pokes spongebob's eyes and they slowly retract I fucking cringe

Like imagine physically becoming a snail and having your intelligence go away

It's fucking terrifying

i'm so smart, i want to suck dicks and poo in the loo

oh wow m8 that's gr8, i really want to make poopoo

senpai pooooooooooooooooooooooooo in the loooo
tbqh gr8 b8 m8 oh wow pooo in the looo

This, so much this.

sooooooooo pooooooooooo much this m8 senpai senapi looooooooooooooo

time for poo in the loo m8

nice bait faggot

I still get ice cold spine-syndrome from that post.

>The only real math is pure math

>They should drill the fuck out of kids with trig and logic
thats what my hs calc was like

how can I just not take AP courses if advanced colleges dont even bat an eye to on level
or are you going to tell me college is over rated or some shit?

> drill trig
Or just teach rational trig and derive everything on the spot

kek don't listen to these retards

Calc is the same in high school and college. Literally zero difference. If you got a 5 on either the AB or BC exam, you'd still ace an "actual" college calculus course. My school didn't offer BC but I took the exam after reading Spivak and got a 5 on it regardless. Calc 3 came around, and I was the only one who took BC--it was piss easy.

Statistics is so much harder than any calculus I've learned in my life.

stats is not math.

Q.E.D

>Or just teach rational trig and derive everything on the spot
Is there a reasonable demonstration of effectiveness of rational trig? It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I want to jump into something that seems fairly niche and basically only the creator promotes. Besides, there is a lot of math that is higher priority to me to study.

You're stupid if you think colleges really care about APs you scrub.