Why does grana padano cheese have egg in it?

I've been hesitant to buy this cheese because of that.

Other urls found in this thread:

lysolac.com/about.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where did you hear this?

It has egg lysozyme in it

Grana is only made from fresh, semi-skimmed milk and stored a couple of weeks in brine.
You got any credible source anything else is in it?

You mean aside from it being listed right on the package?

Package? The real stuff looks like your pic. You sure you aren't buying some kind of knockoff product?

If it is in there, perhaps it's the coagulating agent--a replacement for rennet?

If it's real Grana they use rennet as coagulation agent (as Grana may only be produced by certified dairies from a defined region).
If it contains anything else it's for sure some knockoff product from Wisconsin.

At the store now boom

This piave cheese has it too

And both have the designation of origin stamp on them

Real Grana needs to have the DOP label - is it anywhere on it?

Your hands look awful. Stop chewing on your skin and use some moisturizer or something.

Put "egg lysozome in cheese" into Google. Receive answer:

lysolac.com/about.html

I have severe ocd I know my hands are terrible and yes it has the DOP stamp

Ah shit, that stuff is everywhere.

so why are you afraid of it?

Big bad chemical word that you don't understand? Or do you have a legitimate reason to be fearful?

Never said that I'm afraid of it - and why would I, it's just a component of the egg white.
Probably better than some artificial preservative. I was mostly surprised in how many products they use it without mentioning it that much (e.g. it's nowhere to be found on the piece of Grana in my fridge).

>Never said that I'm afraid of it

Sorry, that was implied by the "ah shit" comment. That made it sound like you were opposed to it for some reason.

This is going to be a ton of fun when this kind of use causes resistance to start occurring, many orders of magnitude faster than it could ever do in nature.

Nah, not allergic to eggs, not afraid of chemical words, I've got a degree in engineering.
But I always thought that there are at least some products left that are purely made as advertised.
If not even cheese is only made from milk (and rennet) - what else is?
On the plus side - I've learned something new today. Doesn't happen that often on /ck.

this just in: all eggs have mrsa because eggs contain lysozyme and have for millennia

also, you realize this is why mayonnaise has such a long shelf life?

I'm the original poster I'm Leary of the cheese because of my ocd eating things I've never had before or haven't had in a long time causes me some anxiery

Eggs are created in a nearly sterile environment. The lysozyme is just part of a defence in depth.

The way we use biocides is a little more efficient at creating resistance.

>the chicken body is sterile
hmmmmm

This stuff has been knocking out certain bacteria for a few 100 million years, seems if resistance was possible it would have happened by now.

How so? Penicillin (in mold) has been doing the same thing, yet many bacteria are resistant to it now.

The issue is that the way we are using it now it is being used against bacteria that it never encountered previously.

bud do you know how vaginas work lmao
they're full of bacteria. on purpose.

>he thinks chickens have vaginas!!!

You look like you have athlete's foot on your hands