Superbugs end of mankind when?

Congratiulations, 'murrica!

Recently a so called "superbug" was found. This is a bacteria resistant to the antimicrobial drugs typically used to kill them, each year about 700,000 die from superbugs.

Why are superbugs a thing? Because there are more and more antibiotic agents each year. Say thanks to factory farming, say thanks to industrial farming where it's all about profit.

Basically with every new stuff we spray on them we exponentially speed up their evolution.

And now we face the challenges of a future where a simple pneumonia will be deadly again.
And what do "scientists" (of course without any private economic interests at all !) propose? Yeah, let's make even more antibiotic agents!!

10/10 'murrica, you can't make this shit up..

>edition.cnn.com/2016/05/26/health/first-superbug-cre-case-in-us/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage#Phage_therapy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The solution is really, really simple:

Mix multiple antibiotics together so that bacteria can't simultaneously evolve resistance to all of them. Crisis averted.

Also it doesn't make sense to stop prescribing antibiotics because you're afraid that the antibiotics you're not allowed to use might lose effectiveness.

Go to any local doctors office or hospital. There will be at least one infographic directed at patients or doctors urging the sparing use of broad-spectrum antibiotics. The Healthcare community recognizes the risk and is working to slow it with targeted antibiotics, for instance.

>Mix multiple antibiotics together so that bacteria can't simultaneously evolve resistance to all of them. Crisis averted.

Hahaha, no.
That's exactly what they do.
That's exactly why the crisis is coming.

Also nobody said we shouldn't use antibiotics at all. It's about the many places where antibiotics could easily be avoided.
Multiresistant bacteria are not caused by antibiotics, but by the excessive use of them.

Example: If you give pigs enough room to live you don't get that stupid problem in the first place. But if you cage them in a tiny room full of shit you create a bacteria paradise.

Instead of doing the right thing we do the wrong thing and try to fight teh consequences. It's so stupid..

Bacteria will just spit their DNA out until they're resistant to it.

Just don't use antiobiotics unless you have a bad infection.

Of course!
Many peoeple already grasped that we are moving into a vicious circle.

But the people in charge are not. Or at least they don't care.

You see, that basic problem is that:
less antibiotics = less money for the pharmaceutical industry
more antibiotic = more money for the pharmaceutical industry

And the pharmaceutical industry is very influential.

I don't think the pharmaceutical industries are bad per se, but they live within a competitive system. If politicians and the people don't put an end to this, we will face problems in some decades. Like.. REAL problems.

Heres how it actually happened

>Have few antibiotics, and all are massively overused
>Antibiotics have to go through same approval process as any other pharmaceutical, which takes on average 10-15 years and several billion dollars of investment
>antibiotic hits the market, and is effective
>everyone immediately shifts to using that considering relatively few options
>resistance grows, antibiotic no longer as effective, sales decrease and poor return on investment for big pharma

>And now we face the challenges of a future where a simple pneumonia will be deadly again.
And what do "scientists" (of course without any private economic interests at all !) propose? Yeah, let's make even more antibiotic agents!!
So, this is actually the answer fuckwit. The market for antibiotics is fucked up, and research and innovation has stagnated. If the government would support more R&D for antibiotics (which has been happening in a big way in the last few years), then we would have plenty of options to chose from. People arent going to be dying of community acquired pneumonia.

Also, part of the problem is many of you, the patients. Take for instance a mom and her son I had in my clinic the other day
>son with obvious allergic rhinitis from seasonal allergies
>mom convinced its sinusitis and needs antibiotics
>I refuse to give and and she starts shouting at me that Im not treating her son

Guess what she probably did? went to an urgent care and got some sucker to write her a script for antibiotics her son doesnt even need, which wont help.

Tie them to trees and see what nature does with it.

>Mix multiple antibiotics together so that bacteria can't simultaneously evolve resistance to all of them.

A cocktail of broad specturm anitbiotics is exactly part of what is contributing to the issue of resistance in the first place. Also, it really isn't that simple in the first place as each drug has its own pharmacological effects and side-effects which need to be weighed against each other. Issues of synergy or opposite where one can dampen the effect of the other is also something to consider.

FFS. Grow up.
The world has a supply and demand problem due to overpopulation (not to mention climate change) just about everyone has been saying the world's pop has to be reduced.

We all thought it would be ww3. It isn't. It's infection.

Factory farming and antibiotic dosing coupled with us living in such close proximity is going to cull around 70% of the global population over the next 100 years.

Climate change. Solved
Peak oil. Solved.
Democracy. Solved.

You are already some billionaires feudal serf. Get used to it.

Got a nose bleed? Infected, you die. Paper cut? Infected, you die. Childbirth? Infected, you die.

No more operations. No more hospitals. First aid using disinfectants. It's going to be he'll - but it solves a LOT of problems.
Especially if the billionaires fund a new antibiotic which they restrict to their own serfs... ey?

I am afraid for the future, not because I fear it may cause the extinction of man, but rather that it grows a dependency on whatever solution we may come up that.

I wonder if we could actually counter-attack, instead of just defend ourselves, make it impossible for selected bacteria to keep existing.

"The bacteria have been identified in other infections outside the United States. Doctors saw cases in Europe, Canada and China. "

source: Your link

>1 case in the USA of antibiotic resistant strain already cataloged in other countries.
>probably caught it from a dirty person from your shit hole 3rd world.

The pharmaceutical industry does NOT exist in a competitive market they are a State enforced monopoly. I'm not even a lolbertarian but come on, man.

Wrong, the simple solution is engineering viruses that eat bacteria - called bacteriophages, and use them, but this is my speculation, but I don't see why it can't be done

itt: plebs who don't understand how antibiotic resistance evolution works.

bacteria randomly mutate these resistances, antibiotics just put on selection pressure. plasmids are shared anyway. these resistances were bound to evolve with or without our use of antibiotics.

that said i don't see how human extinction is a problem when i'm gonna die anyway.

Seems like I was right, the solution is engineering phages
>scientists are developing engineered viruses to overcome antibiotic resistance, and engineering the phage genes responsible for coding enzymes which degrade the biofilm matrix, phage structural proteins and also enzymes responsible for lysis of bacterial cell wall.
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage#Phage_therapy

You sound like some hippie infringing on business

This virus was first found in China, and with TPP we're only going to make the superbug problem worse. (Also if you haven't been gearing up for such a scenario then you're a fool). Any enterobacteriophage would kill the fuck outta them, since it's only E. Coli.
>plebs in here that don't wanna go innaimmunology

He's right though. It has nothing to do with being a hippie or caring about animal welfare.
Caging animals in a tiny room full of shit where their skin is continually abrased due to the cramped conditions creates really good conditions for bacterial infections.

However, these "superbugs" are pretty overrated.

What about super shrugs?

never, we just go back to toughing out diseases like the old times.

all you have to do is stay clean and stay fit.