What's some stuff where when you see people do it you know they aren't a good cook?

What's some stuff where when you see people do it you know they aren't a good cook?
I'll start:
>Ketchup on almost anything
>Using mixed spice containers like "italian seasoning" instead of individually using oregano, thyme etc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1FaNzrtu0KM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>beans in chili
>deep dish pizza
>ordering anything but mcchickens at mcdonalds
>soy sauce
>breading any meat
>cream in carbonara
>extra virgin olive oil
>not buying meat from a butcher
>they wash their cast iron pan
>slowcookers
>not using canned tomatoes
>curry blocks
>japanese curry
>parsley

They use canned stock or bouillon.

Half the shit you say is borderline clinically retarded even though the rest is correct. What did you mean by this???

Butter on burger buns

point out which ones

Look in the mirror.

There is literally nothing wrong with anything in this list except deep dish pizza

>>beans in chili
>>deep dish pizza
>>ordering anything but mcchickens at mcdonalds
>>soy sauce
>>breading any meat
>>cream in carbonara
>>extra virgin olive oil
>>not buying meat from a butcher
>>they wash their cast iron pan
>>slowcookers
>>not using canned tomatoes
>>curry blocks
>>japanese curry
>>parsley

Typed a bunch of random shit in hopes of getting a response.

>not baking their own bread
>using dried pasta instead of making their own, or at least buying fresh
>not making their own sauces
>frozen vegetables
>canned stock

>beans in chili
If you want to start a fight in Texas, you must add beans to chili.

Beans in chili is just one variant of chili. If you count that as retarded than most dishes are retarded since they're similar variations of other dishes.
Ordering anything at mcdonald's is retarded, mcchicken perhaps even more than anything else.
Soy sauce is optimal for most asian-style dishes.
Breaded meats are a staple of many culinary styles.
There's nothing wrong with cream in carbonara, it gives a fuller taste and texture to the sauce. Depending on how you're using it, this can be an undeniable plus.
Extra virgin olive oil is the right choice for non-flavor/texture-specific applications.
If you use canned tomatoes, you should kill yourself. Slow cookers are perfect for many things. Japanese curry is a great generic dish in the same way that stew or steamed veggies (i.e. you can make that shit with pretty much anything and it's easy, tasty and healthy). Indian curry, not so much. Parsley is outright critical as seasoning for many dishes, along with some sauces.

However, buying meat not from a butcher is retarded, deep dish pizza is just wrong, curry blocks are for idiots

and look where we are now

>If you use canned tomatoes, you should kill yourself.

except you're wrong and retarded. canned tomatoes are the ideal method if tomatoes aren't in season.

>breading any meat

Retarded opinions 101

When they add extra stupid shit to dishes like pine nuts or cashews. Less is more and I'm tired of people thinking they're creative for fucking it up with that sort of thing.

>pine nuts in a pasta dish

This fucking kills it for me. What the fuck do you think you're doing? Motherfucking Californians I swear.

>
If you take your cooking extremely seriously and tomatoes aren't in season perhaps you should cook with what is available atm? However, I don't think using canned tomatoes at home is hardly a sin for a good home cook.

WTF is wrong with using parsley?

Canned tomatoes are derived from tomatoes that are picked in season, so they will almost always be better than fresh tomatoes out of season. Canned whole tomatoes also go through selection for unblemished tomatoes. Canned diced tomatoes typically get CaCl added to them to retain their shape and structure under heat which you may want. Canned tomatoes are a good thing just like frozen peas.

The only exception to the frozen veg thing is peas. Fresh peas are only in season for like two months out of the year- they're way better then, don't get me wrong, but frozen peas are the best you can do for the other 10 months.

do you know about pesto

italian seasoning is only decent when i make semi-dried tomatoes in my oven.
other than that its gabage.

ive even smoked that shit

Lived in alaska for 3 years, frozen veg is the only choice worth making

Enjoy your cubed steak, faggot

>there are people who unironically believe this
>on Veeky Forums of all places
I'm disgusted.

>when people lay their fingers out flat while using a knife

I flip tables whenever I see this happen in one of those buzzfeed food videos. Its like nail on chalkboard shit ugh

Only noobs don't do that, though. You get shit grip and have to slow down significantly if you curve them.

I’m talking about schnitzel you mong. Also fried chicken

>bottles of prepared salad dressing in fridge
>ketchup
>BBQ sauce
>plastic bags of shredded cheese
>boxes of cake mix
>soda served with meals at home
>margarine
>sliced white sandwich bread
>"salads" involving mayo and/or Jell-O
>Cool Whip
>green can of Kraft cheese
>half and half
>sweet pickles (relish included)
>lunchmeat
>instant mashed potatoes
>jars of prepared spaghetti sauce
>black pepper already ground
>frozen mixed vegetables
>minute/parboiled rice
>seasoned salt
>boneless, skinless chicken breasts
>frozen pizza
>onion powder
>breakfast: cereal in cold milk

You probably believe tomatoes should be perfectly round and firm too.

Fresh pasta is only preferable for certain applications, such as tagliatelle with a light sauce, or tortellini.

Dry pasta has a superior texture for hearty sauces such as ragù.

These are valid, but seriously, you flip your shit if people have sodas with their meals?
That literally says nothing about their abilities for making food. What if they just fucking like soda?
Also -
>boneless, skinless chicken breasts
>what is convenience
>what is saving time

And you forgot the most important point of being a bad chef - not being to make anything without a recipe - even the stuff you made a 1000 times before.

"Instant" anything.

A real chef would know that dark meat is cheaper and has more flavor. That user is referring to people who exclusively use boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Agreed on First one
Disagree on Second, because

>tfw friend works at spice company
>they also supply tea n dried fruits n shit
>steals there every day
>makes any herb & spice mixture for me

Lifes good

Agreed on everything, not bad

>ketchup
Essential for making things like seafood cocktail sauce. Useless as a condiment except on eggs IMO.

>green can of Kraft cheese
I don't even know what the fuck that is

>sweet pickles
Useful in tartar sauce when combined with dill pickles, but yeah they are nasty little fucks.

>boneless skinless breasts
Boneless, skinless breasts (as well as all other meats for that matter) often go on sale for a far lower price by weight than the same meat from whole chickens broken down, so sometimes it's actually much cheaper to buy a specific cut that you're going to use than break down whole chickens. The math is simple. If you use chicken stock a lot in your cooking, though, it might still be worth it to buy whole chickens for the carcasses.

In restaurants we almost always order the specific cut we want (wings, breasts, etc) because paying someone even minimum wage to break down chickens isn't worth the expense. You could justify it by making stock from the carcasses but this requires valuable space in the kitchen, and it's cheaper to buy boullion/base. Some very high end places still do it, and I'm sure most of the old places in France and whatnot do as well, but it's not worthwhile 99% of the time.

>the rest of that shit you posted
Absolutely correct.

I don't know what I expected coming into this thread but it is truly awful. Good job guys.

>you flip your shit if people have sodas with their meals?
Not at all. But when I see someone drinking soda with a meal that isn't fast food I assume they have pretty shit taste, and that's usually the case.
>Essential for making things like seafood cocktail sauce.
But you wouldn't put that on good quality fresh seafood. You put that on pre-cooked frozen shrimp.
>Boneless, skinless breasts
My experience is that people who go in for shortcuts aren't very good cooks because they're too willing to compromise food quality for convenience. And if you use a whole chicken entirely (bones for stock and all) it's always a better deal, just more work.

>freezing meat
>using butter to cook with
>enjoying parsley
>"vegan"
>eating bread unironically
>using stainless steel instead of cast iron
>hard boiling eggs
>scrambling eggs
>not soft boiling eggs
>using ketchup and mustard together
>drinking soda

what's wrong with parsley, cunt

What are things you use italian seasoning in?

>freezing meat
kys

why onion powder though?

You left out when people make a pizza and it's not a poppin' 'go 'za you memelord

There is nothing wrong with;

>frozen veges
>frozen meat
>ketchup
>bottles of sauces

Everyone in this thread is a true autist

Master of autism

It's a shortcut product. Good cooking usually doesn't come from convenience products.

once I figured you can always use the fresh stuff, either finely diced or grated, then yeah, I realized there's probably no use for it whatsoever.
but what about garlic powder, celery powder etc. wouldn't the same principle apply? what about chili powder?

Dude,
>mcchickens are just expensive junior chickens
>extra virgin olive oil has nothing wrong with it
>Slow cookers - who doesn't like soups?
>breading meat is amazing
Diagnosis you're a fuckin pleb

There is nothing wrong with parsley itself, the problem is people throw it on food as a "garnish" in an attempt to look fancy, when anyone with some professional sense knows something like this is a gigantic no no.

Speaking in regards to classical style cooking, a garnish should be eaten as well. If someone takes it and puts it off to the side(as most people do with parsley garnishes) you have failed miserably and just wasted food.

Garlic and onion powder are a step down from fresh garlic and onions. They only exist as shelf stable convenience food replacements for fresh ingredients. Same is true for most dried herbs instead of fresh (although drying works just fine for oregano and thyme).

Dried peppers ground into a powder is more of a transformation, like turning a piece of pork into ham. The taste is different and the uses are different. Fresh peppers are clearly a vegetable, whereas drying them turns them into more of a spice and a thickening agent.

Need to have the meme with someone saying "KFC" near a ear and after we see thrills on an arm
Thank for your help guys !

>bottles of sauces
Generally okay except tomato sauce, the store-bought shit is disgusting.

If you use the shitty Italian seasoning like the one you posted than yea for sure. I sometimes use an Italian Seasoning mix from an actual spice shop since it's a good base and then I add more stuff from there.

I think the actual authenticity matters more but whatever

>>enjoying parsley

But what about tabbouleh?

youtube.com/watch?v=1FaNzrtu0KM

>people who don't invent a new, previously unheard of dish every single time they cook for themselves

kill yourself desu, people who lack creativity shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen

I use Italian Seasoning for the quick meals because I'm not going to waste my garden grown, home dried, Oregano & Marjoram. That's for the good stuff.