How do I make cheap tasty meals and how much will they cost per day?

How do I make cheap tasty meals and how much will they cost per day?

tl;dr Give me your best poverty food.

omg birdie kawaii ^_^

Post moar.

>tasty

nigga just man the fuck up and eat your oatmeal, rice and beans like the rest of us without complaining

That's a nice birb

I've been living on pasta, ramen and the occasional rice for a while.

You better have a whole terabyte of that fucking birdie, OP.

Get dumping.

no more of that birdie but here's a pic of another love bird for your troubles.

Just one? The fuck kind of OP are you? Images are our currency, noob. You want our input and tease us with premium-tier dawww but you don't have a dump lined up?

You know what I'm going to say now, right?

Have a bump.

I'm a total cheapskate, so lemme tell ya (and calculate as I do) what I cooked and ate for Saturday (I'd say yesterday, but I went out to brunch with friends):

Breakfast: coffee with milk and cereal with yogurt.
Cost me about 9¢ for the coffee, 25¢ for the milk, 25¢ for the cereal and 19¢ for the yogurt.

Lunch: genovese di pollo with pasta and parmigiano then a tomato salad after.
$1.08 total for the pasta, sauce, chicken and cheese and another 28¢ for the salad.

Dinner: japchae, rice and plain doenjangguk.
50¢ for the stir-fry, 7¢ for the rice and 57¢ for the soup.

Snacked on beef-and-tomato instant Jew ramen (89¢) and an apple (25¢). And had three glasses of iced tea (11¢).

Total: $4.53

How did I do it? I shop sales and manager's specials, take advantage of my freezer as necessary and I know how to cook. Knowing how to cook from scratch reduces food costs drastically. And, despite what people will tell you, it's not exceptionally time consuming, either.
Sure, the sauce for the pasta took a while to make (nearly three hours), but it cooked up nine servings and it keeps in the fridge for a few days (and freezer a few months), so it's like 18 minutes per meal.
Stir-fries are quick. From whole ingredients to chopped and cooked food, it shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes, and that's only if you have absolutely shitty knife skills. Saturday, I spent only about 30 minutes in the kitchen total, reheating my sauce and chicken as the pasta boiled and cooking my japchae and guk later that night for dinner.

How poor we talking?

If you like rice and beans, there's a lot you can add cheaply to improve the taste. Tocino, onions, garlic, chorizos, etc.

>cheap tasty meals

1/2 of a 3rd world nation defeated the largest military in the world with only rice & water.

So, rice & water.

so poor you eat cereal with a fork to save milk.

ok maybe not that poor but keeping it under $5 a day.

>being poor
>eating cereal

Check one.

DELETE THIS

This is now a lovebird thread.

Potatoes
Eggs
Oatmeal
Any fruit or vegetable that is in season and they have too much of.
Canned vegs can be 3/$1 if you wait for sales.

My fave when I was poor is two frozen chicken patties (cooked), one can of cut green beans, one half can of cream of mushroom soup.

That makes at least two good meals for a dollar each.

My go to recipe is pasta and nothing. Usually I season it with oil and a buillon stock, or anchovies paste. A little cheese goes a long way when sauteeing the pasta in a pan, maybe some garlic in the oil before hand.

Wa la

baked beans well "baked beans" rather i like to grab a can of white beans drain them fry em up, add some spices and condiments, like ketchup, mustard, garlic, pepper and some sugar and mix them with half a can of tomatoes
it's about 2$ for like a 500 gram portion.

Fried rice, just basically cook some rice and then take a pan put some oil, garlic and ginger and hot chillis optional some veggies or protein, add rice , stir in some eggs, soy sauce, let it fry up and get crispy.

Ramen is also relatively solid, but you're better off buying some chicken stock powder, and the noodles separately, making some chicken soup, adding some spices, then the noodles and possibly some veggies into the stock, i always add a soft boiled egg or poach an egg in the soup to bring it up. It's still super cheap

Stir fries and fried rice.

All the usual vegetables: ginger root, green onions, brown onions, garlic, mushrooms, peas, and bok choy are cheap as fuck all year.

Pork shoulder and poultry limbs, which all go great with stir fries, are also cheap.

in "down and out in london and paris" george orwell ate baguettes rubbed with garlic. thats my choice for poverty food, though you have to live somewhere where baguettes are cheap.

D
E
L
E
T

T
H
I
S

What do you guys usually keep on hand at all times?

I'm poor as fuck but I always end up spending a dickload at the grocery store. I just spent 100 bucks buying a lot of stuff. None of it is what I would really consider "bad" (and you can probably shave off 15 of it for some necessary dish things) but it's kind of become a trend for me. I don't know how to keep my grocery bill under 50 a week.