ITT

ITT
things you didn't think about

the ostrich egg is the biggest single cell you can find.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_bird
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophyophore
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringammina_fragilissima
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_bird

as I said, things I didn't think about.

I doubt that's the biggest single cell. What about a neuron in a whale?

Bubble algae is a pretty big single cell organism, not as big as that egg tho.

>ratites did not diversify by vicariance during the breakup of Gondwana

Are organisms with mitochondria really single celled?

Yes.

A mitchondrion is an organelle.
It cannot survive outside of a cell.

>It cannot survive outside of a cell.
Why not? What's different inside and outside a cell that allows the mitochondria to survive?

Many of their bacterial ancestor's traits have atrophied in Mitochondria.

They just can't, on their own, do all of the things need not continue to not be dead.

Aren't much bigger than yours, there are just much more of them

topkek OP, your knowledge is found lacking, step it up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophyophore
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringammina_fragilissima
>It is the largest single-cell organism known, at up to 20 centimetres (8 in) across.

>that egg
>single cell

this: a lot of bacterial genes are no longer found in mitochondria, having been supplanted by nuclear genes that produce similar proteins, or sometimes even having migrated to the nuclear genome itself.

I got one:

Provided you had enough copper wire, you could turn the earth moon system into a giant electromagnetic generator, by coiling the moon with the wire and it naturally moving through earth's magnetic field.

The only problem would be the Lorentz force would decelerate the moon and it would collide with the earth eventually.

>the ostrich egg is the biggest single cell you can find.

Maybe at the instant of fertilization, but then the example about whales is a counterpoint, too.

Cells divide within the archetypal egg while is incubated until hatching.

A fucking laid egg is not a fucking single cell

Fucking retard

it's a single cell if it's not fertilized though

isn't it? What is an ovum then?

Because part of the genetic code needed for synthesis of certain proteins for mitochondria is in the Nuclear DNA, and doesn't exist in the mitochondrial dna. Those kind of proteins are synthesized in the cell's ribosomes and then transported to the Mitochondria.

More like the cell cannot survive without mitochondria but can you really say the same about mitochondria? First off, mitochondria has its own DNA which is all that would take for mitochondria to switch to a parasitic intracellular lifestyle which is not that unknown to Rickettsidae, the ancestor of mitochondria.

>having been supplanted by nuclear genes
Actually most of the essential genes that mitochondria depend on are homologous to the T7 phage's genes which are viral in origin.

The yolk is a single cell. It's the ovum.

>le eggs are cells meme

>ratites
>monophyletic

>More like the cell cannot survive without mitochondria
Wrong. Mitochondria optimize energy extraction, but they aren't the only way for a cell to do it.
>but can you really say the same about mitochondria?
See , did I stutter?

>parasitic intracellular lifestyle
>surviving outside of other cells
Pick one, faggot.

aaand where are those genes found? in the nucleus. I'm talking about location, not origins here, but thank you anyway.

>Mitochondria optimize energy extraction
that's not all they do, faggot. there's significant protein synthesis and/or enzymatic activity going on in the mitochondria of most eukaryotes, even in obligate anaerobes.
in fact, when they recently found a protozoan in chinchilla shit that had lost its mitochondria entirely, it was A Big Fucking Deal. and it was only able to accomplish this by acquiring a bunch of bacterial genes to fill the usual mitochondrial roles.

I knew a retard biochemist once and she was quite confident that the human brain is actually a syncytium.

Are obligate parasites still cells?

>biologists

They have multiple nuclei. Just because there's no complete cell wall doesn't mean it's not multiple cells. Many fungi also live this way and they're considered multicellular. They might be considered clonal, or colony forming organisms. Either way, it's not clearly and distinctly unicellular as an ostrich egg is.
Step it up.

>Maybe at the instant of fertilization
A gamete, or egg cell is still considered an organism even if it's unfertilized. As are sperm, the male gamete.

good one