Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiehallion_experiment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_experiment
youtu.be/KooPsEE7E-Q
youtu.be/KlJsVqc0ywM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>get flung into the air
why ?, what would push you ?

It does. The Earth is pulled towards the object with the same force that the object is pulled towards the Earth. This force just has a negligible effect.

>GRAVITATIONAL-FORCE[1].jpg
>GRAVITATIONAL
>FORCE
>gravity
>force
tell me people dont actually fall for this meme .

Yeah why don't these faggots write geometric acceleration along a geodesic caused by curved spacetime every time they talk about gravity.

I still can't come up with a short answer to "what gravity is?".

I remember I had a teacher who asked this and everybody say it was simply a force. I was about to say "It's a theory". I'm glad I remained silent

Lol you nigger how can gravity be a theory? If I jump up, I'll fall down again. q.e.d. it's not a theory. Next you'll tell me being able to drown in water is just a theory.

I was an edgy atheist mad scientist at high school.

>why fishes don't die? :^)

HOW CAN GRAVITY EVEN COMPETE?

>I still can't come up with a short answer to "what gravity is?".

"mass attracts mass"
How fucking hard was that Opie?

Fish don't die because they breathe water. But humans and most mammals can't do that so we breathe air instead.

I can understand that, but what do you say when fucking people ask for what is it concretely? "It's the effect of the mass from one object attracting one that has lesser mass"?

The mass of the Earth absorbs the recoil. As you might imagine, teh Earth is very massive.

>"It's the effect of the mass from one object attracting one that has lesser mass"?
Both masses are attracted to each other.
If you drop a rock, both it and the Earth fall towards each other, but the Earth is so much more massive, its motion is undetectably small.

>what do you say when fucking people ask for what is it concretely?
You have two options:
Wikipedia:
>a natural phenomenon by which all things with energy are brought toward (or gravitate toward) one another,
IMDB:
>A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space.

When a rock is dropped on earth the earth pulls the rock towards the earth and the rock pulls the earth to the rock. Because of inertia, the earth requires much more force to move than the rock does so the rock moves much faster than the earth making it look like only the rock is moving, and practically speaking, only the rock is moving.

ITT:
I just finished high school physics

gravity is a natural observable phenomenon
newtonian gravity and relativistic gravity are theories of gravity .one is a good approximation of the other in certain cases .

neither the rock or the earth is moving .

>neither the rock or the earth is moving .
Wot?
If I drop a rock it *won't* fall to Earth?

>why doesn't gravity recoil
>why doesn't gravity give me free money
>why doesn't gravity say hello when I say hello
because gravity doesn't work like that

obviously

if you ask why not, then you have to explain why you'd think it would

see above comments to see comparative ridiculousness

nope, a rock will continue moving in a straight line in whatever direction its original velocity is (if you disregard drag that is ).

dont confuse spacetime geometry with newtonian 'forces'

Gravity is a theory to explain how a round earth works.
Scientists are struggling to find actual proof other than just observing shit sticking to earth.

Here are some plot holes:

Why has the sun not sucked out the atmosphere if the suns gravity and reach far exceeds the earth?

How can birds and lighter objects move effortlessly in the air when the earths gravity is strong enough to hold the weight of the oceans?

How can the moons gravity affect the oceans at sea level if the earths gravity is supposed to be stronger?

I don't have a reaction image for this level of shit
Scientists are not "struggling to find proof," you just have a very poor grasp of how gravity works and clearly how physics as a whole works

Those aren't plot holes you just don't understand them.

Jesus Christ. Please be bait.

So it's velocity doesn't change when I let go?

>Gravity is a theory to explain how a round earth works.
Gravity would work on a flat Earth too, otherwise we'd float off the surface.

>Why has the sun not sucked out the atmosphere if the suns gravity and reach far exceeds the earth?
For the same reason it doesn't suck you and me off the Earth.
Inverse square law.

>How can birds and lighter objects move effortlessly in the air when the earths gravity is strong enough to hold the weight of the oceans?
The ocean weighs more than a bird?

>How can the moons gravity affect the oceans at sea level if the earths gravity is supposed to be stronger?
Because you touch yourself at night.

ha ha fucking shut him down user!! Nice!

You do know that gravity is purely hypothetical to explain why shit falls down right?

Google search graviton

>gravity is purely hypothetical to explain why shit falls down right
I wouldn't go quite that far but the boson for gravity is def a mystery.

>Inverse square law.
>Describe phenomena
>Call it law
The fuck?

>gravity is purely hypothetical
There's wrong, and then there's "they solved this shit in the late 18th century" wrong.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiehallion_experiment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_experiment
Gravity is measurable.

>I don't understand basic physics, so I'm going to get mad at anyone who uses it.

How you explain this, gravityfags youtu.be/KooPsEE7E-Q

I lost count of the number of stupid and obviously wrong things he said after just the first minute.
Why would you expect anyone to take some random's ramblings on youtube seriously?

Gravity makes far more sense than the earth is rising at 9.81m/s/s.

>why has the sun not sucked out the atmosphere.
let me out this simply. Because the sun is really really really really far away. The effects of the Suns Gravity is only 0.0006 that of earths out here.

>how can birds fly but oceans don't
Gee fucking whiz. I don't know user. Maybe it's because the ocean doesn't have wings and it's very fucking heavy.

>how can the moon affect our tides
Cmon man this is obvious due in part that the water isn't a couple hundred feet in the air. It is quite obviously on earth meaning earths pull is stronger. The moon only very slightly affects the water.

OP can't lift

We wouldn't float you mongoloid.

>density
>boyancy
>electromagnetism

Gravity = magnetism. Prove me wrong.

>You do know that gravity is purely hypothetical to explain why shit falls down right?
It would help your case if you could put together a grammatically correct sentence.
Besides, if gravity isn't causing stuff to fall down, *something* is making that happen.
Let's call it gravity.
Ergo sum: you are a faggot.

>>boyancy
It's spelled "buoyancy", and it requires gravity to work.

>Gravity = magnetism. Prove me wrong.
I stick to the Earth, but not magnets.
Checkmate baitfag.

>I stick to the Earth, but not magnets
You sure? youtu.be/KlJsVqc0ywM

It's like an eel I think

>You sure?
Yes, I just went to the kitchen and tried the fridge magnets on my forehead.
Nada.
Maybe it only works on frogs.

>Yes, I just went to the kitchen and tried the fridge magnets on my forehead.
But according you your gravitation law it MUST work.

>But according you your gravitation law it MUST work.
???

Newton law?

What is a vacuum cleaner?

>But according you your gravitation law it MUST work.
>Newton law?

Go get someone who can translate your ideas into English, then post them.

Huh. Andre Geim works at my university, he's aged badly. He's also a fucking dick.