What is the evolutionary advantage of race?

What is the evolutionary advantage of race?

Other urls found in this thread:

oyc.yale.edu/ecology-and-evolutionary-biology/eeb-122/lecture-4#ch2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

to find out who is fastest

To claim that we wuz kangs

Local adaption.

>evolutionary
>advantage

GET OUT!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

color of skin specifically is difference in levels of melanin.

in hot climates like africa and australia, natives have dark skin (lots of melanin) because they are constantly exposed to high intensity sunlight. they are able to produce enough vitamin D while blocking out excessively harmful sunlight.

in cold climates like northern europe and russia, native inhabitants have a low amount of melanin so that they can absorb enough vitamin D. concentration of melanin has an inverse relationship to vitamin D production, so if you don't live in a climate with a lot of sun then you need light colored skin to absorb as much sunlight as possible.

It is a result of biological, climatic, and geographic factors.

absorb enough sunlight for vitamin D production*

too tired to post in a totally correct fashion all of the time

underrated

report/hide is the best thing here

also assholes.

>evolution doesn't account for modern human variation
You're ignoring evolution in a way creationists aren't clever enough to

But I am a creationist.

Please learn more about evolution.

And how compatible it is with equality amirite? Marxist filth.

u rite. sorry desu senpai

>he believes in evolution

>inb4 bait

You don't belong here then.

Hi, evolution often involves traits that impart some 'advantage' but it is entirely incorrect to assume that all variations between populations are due to selective evolution. Difference does not equal evolutionary advantage.

Please read up on drift and neutral traits.

There is no evolutionary advantage to race. Merely a cultural one.

The white race is the master race simply because they believe themselves to be superior. If confidence in this belief waned the white race would no longer be a master race by definition. It's very similar to fiat money which is intrinsically valueless but takes on value as long as we "believe" it has value.

Except that beneficial traits are what is passed on by means of natural selection. Organisms which do not possess beneficial traits die out due to not being able to survive beneficial traits are necessarily advantageous traits.

All heritable traits are passed on whether or not they are selectively advantageous or neutral (or, for that matter, detrimental). Organisms that do not reproduce fail to pass on their heritable traits and the traits that they had are not passed on even if those traits are, statistically speaking, advantageous for individuals that possess them within the population.

Empirically speaking, not all traits are advantageous. Some variants of some traits impart only a small advantage compared to other variants of the trait and may not directly impact reproductive success of an individual significantly but be seen to have some impact at the population level. However, many variants are neutral and have no impact on reproductive success. These traits vary within a population based on the neutral model of evolution. Neutral traits can become fixed in a population (all individuals have a variant of a trait and not other variants) due to probability. This has nothing to do with fitness and only to do with history.

Please read Kimura.

READ what he said will you, holy shit. stop babbling the same shit around

I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm not sure you disagree with what I said either.

If a mutation is beneficial, it is advantageous. Do you disagree? I was only speaking of beneficial mutations, not neutral or detrimental.

This. Genetic drift is how different traits manifest and appear. Natural selection may or may not bias these traits towards fitness; thus "adaptation," "advantage" or "environmental influences" aren't necessarily a part of it.
>Except that beneficial traits are what is passed on by means of natural selection.
Nope, not always. Natural and even negative traits are entirely possible to propagate and pass on.

you're saying nothing
asking "what is the evolutionary advantage of X" is retarded because of read it again and again until you understand why.

>Except that beneficial traits are what is passed on by means of natural selection
I disagree with this because it is only partially true. All heritable traits are passed on, some of them are beneficial some of them cause the fetus to auto-abort.

What I am saying is that much, possibly most, of the variation we see between human populations is due to drift or other historical 'accidents' (such as bottlenecks/founders effects) rather than selective evolution. Variation is not proof of selection. Selective hypotheses must be supported by plausible causal explanations, not the mere existence of difference between populations.

Beneficial is largely synonymous with advantageous, yes. Are you saying anything important in your post? If you are I can't find it.

Do we have any examples of this happening?

> "what is the evolutionary advantage of X"

I am not the one that asked that.

>Are you saying anything important in your post? If you are I can't find it.

>Organisms which do not possess beneficial traits die out due to not being able to survive

Is this wrong to say?

oyc.yale.edu/ecology-and-evolutionary-biology/eeb-122/lecture-4#ch2

>Do we have any examples of this happening?
Plenty. Is flightlessness an advantageous trait? No, but it still evolved in many species of bird. Are brown eyes any more advantageous than green or blue? Maybe by sexual selection, but not for natural fitness. How about attached earlobes vs. unattached? Huntington's disease certainly isn't an advantageous trait, but it still evolved and continues to exist since it does not interfere with reproduction.

I thought the nature of color was that lighter colors reflect light while dark absorbs it. Why does dark skin block sunlight while light skin absorbs it?

>belonging
>Veeky Forums
the only thing I smell is freshcunt.

>evolutionary advantage

You don't understand how evolution works.

Race is not even biologically explicable

Dark skin does absorb more than light skin. But dark skin is less transparent to UV than light skin. Less UV penetrates the epidermis, meaning less damage to the dermis.

To go fast