What is time exactly?

What is time exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q
adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016AAS...22720207T
youtube.com/watch?v=zaR3sVpTB98
twitter.com/AnonBabble

a designation created by humans to refer to a system where we are able to numerically refer to the passing of different events relative to each other

Measurement of change.

Time is distance over speed.

But speed is the rate of change in distance with respect to TIME.
I ask again. What is time?

This guy: Already answered you, bring your shitty bait elsewhere.

Something that doesn't exist.

youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q

time is a dimension

the thing that makes putting money into the industry of space travel pointless.

Time would still exist even if nothing changed.

nope it would be frozen

nope that would belike saying position wouldn't exist if everything was at the same place

dude weed lmao

...thats also true. where is a dimensionless point?

This. Time is a 4th non linear vector.

If you have two particles, you can only define their positions relative to each other in terms of one dimension. Add a third particle, and all three can be defined in terms of two dimensions since you can now define every particle in terms of two variables.

If we take this to four particles, we now have three dimensions. Five particles makes four. Time is thus a spacial dimension.

Of course, there are more than five particles in the universe, so technically there are more than four dimensions - many more. Since time is a spacial dimension, all dimensions can be said to be both timelike and spacelike.

If you stand on Earth and throw a ball, it comes back down to Earth after following a curved trajectory. An orbit is a trajectory with enough energy that the orbiting object stays off the ground. If this orbit results in the object entering into an identical energy state as it was once in, you've created a closed timelike loop.

In a blackhole, everything is merged into a single point, or rather a long cord curving around the blackhole due to gravity. At certain points along this cord, every object has been reduced to naked electrons which all share the same energy state. This produces a closed timelike loop.

There's evidence that the supermassive blackholes at the centers of galaxies recycle matter;

>adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016AAS...22720207T
>ALMA Reveals a Galaxy-Scale Fountain of Cold Molecular Gas Pumped by a Black Hole

A blackhole is highly uniform, and functions like one or a few particles. The one in the center of the galaxy is our fifth particle, and our position relative to it determines where we are on the timeline.

If what I say is true, then the blackhole is the beginning of time. If you stand on the blackhole, your potential energy is 0N. Rise 1m into the air, and assuming 1N/sec for simplicity, you'll now contain 1N of potential energy. Since it took 1sec, 1N equates to 1sec. 1m above the blackhole, you're 1sec into the timeline.

This energy has to come from somewhere. Since time is a spacial dimension, to move forward in time 1sec requires 1N of energy to be gained. This is where entropy comes from. But since time is spacial, it can also be part of a closed timelike loop. So, after you ascend, you fall and transfer 1N into the blackhole, which means into T0. So now, T0 has 2N. Every cycle there's a multiplication of N.

If what I say is true, we should also expect to see younger things around the core of the galaxy, and older things around the rim. And that's what we see - high metal stars around the core, low metal stars around the rim.

"Time" is voodoo mathematics conjured up by physicists so that their equations work.

The measure of the expansion of the universe in the local area.

It's what you measure with a clock.

an a priori form of intuition

"no"

Time is a unit of 3D space, or just space. That is why time can be measured in meters(299792458 meters are equal to 1 second)

God

Time is a way to express change in a concept

I've thought about this a bit, but I'm not a physicist / astronomer (yet) so my thoughts aren't exactly proven or backed up and theorized.

Anyways with that out of the way here's my thoughts on time :

Time is a universal construct that indicates a passage of change . Time is not a unit of 'measurement' in the everyday sense, but it is an abstract unit of change that can be observed within our universe.

Time existed before humans. However, time did not exist before the Big Bang. Time is a law, but it is not inherent everywhere. Since time was only created after the universe's birth, it can be assumed that nothing "existed" before time, and that everything is subject to time-- observable change in the form of entropy.

a flat circle
a delusion created by man that reflects the way they understand reality

Time is something something causality something something dimension

Time is what allows you to post pet pictures
for no real reason.

An illusion.

>tfw be the marillion line running right up through her middle bits

I don't think you can really define time as anything human-related. It just is. In mathematical physics time is defined as a sequence of events, an "event" being a photon being emitted/absorbed by a source/observer. What is interesting is that geometrically speaking light-like vectors, a.k.a. photons, have no real length (their inner product is null). Also in relativity what you have is a very clear separation between time, space and light. This really fucks me up to this day. You have a space-like direction, a time-like direction and a light-like direction. I say "direction" and i mean trajectory of a wordline or coordinates of a given event. There's something fucky about it. Time does not flow for a photon, and we define time as the emission/absorption of photons. But photons are subject to change, so you cannot define time as "perceived change in the environment". Photons get redshifted/blueshifted as they travel through space, so with the passage of time from an observer's point of view, the photons change. Even in the photon's reference frame they change as the wavelength of the photon changes so do its momentum and energy. Therefore photons do not experience time but experience change, so time is not correlated with change. Change can occur regardless if time is perceived in a given reference frame.
Another trippy thing is that you have something called Hubble's Law. It states that v=d*H where v is the recessional velocity of an object (moving away from you), d is the distance and H is Hubble's constant. Now, if we replace "v" with "c" a.k.a. speed of light, you get a "cosmological horizon" beyond which ALL objects appear to travel faster than light with respect to our reference frame. So how does time flow for them from our POV? Does it flow backwards? How real is this law and how come things can travel faster than light? There are a lot of questions and I don't think you can find an answer to what is time exactly.

A valuable thing. Watch it count down as the pendulum swings.

This

2EZ
Our 3D perception of movement along a 4th-D path.

the determination of existence

Time is a tool that helps me make pizza instead of fire

Human perception V/\

Only proper answer in the thread. Time is hard to define and science still doesn't know what it is exactly. What time is is very important, since it has some heavy implications on some philosophical questions.

If someone would invent a way to make more time,it could solve a lot of problems.

youtube.com/watch?v=zaR3sVpTB98

proof of this pls.

Fuck off McConaughey